Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing door locks

Options
  • 17-01-2014 10:21pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a locksmith around town who might change the locks on a door on a Saturday?

Alternatively, is it a big job to buy a whole new door handle and change it yourself?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a locksmith around town who might change the locks on a door on a Saturday?

Alternatively, is it a big job to buy a whole new door handle and change it yourself?

Thanks.

It is very easy to change locks.

99% of them will be the same size but take a photo and some measurements just incase. What I mwan by measurements is, the size of the cover plate in the side of the door, the distance between the escutcheon (where you put your key) and the edge of the door as sometimes there is a choice snd the size of the internal lock itself that is morticed into the door.

If it is a 'Yale' lock, the only thing you have to alter may be the length of the piece of metal that connects the barrel with the internal lock. A junior hacksaw or pliers will do.

Shouldn't take you more than ten minutes. I've done hundreds of them in my time and there is nothing to it.

Pliers/junior hacksaw and a philips screwdriver and you're done. Don't forget the pencil behind the ear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks a million.

I'm no expert but I'll give it a go anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Figured out how to change the lock - it's a little too easy to be honest.

Didn't need a new handle as it's just a single screw to remove the barrel. Though i did damage the handle figuring this out!

I just need to find a replacement barrel now. The nearest hardware place was Homebase, but they only have Yale & the locking mechanism is directly in the middle on these.

I need one which is just off-centre. Is there anyplace around town that might have them? Sorry, but i can't recall the exact brand name on the one in the door. It's something like ISME.

Thanks again.

Advertisement