Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 lightning port problem

• 17-01-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭fergusb

As far as I am aware, in the EU, Apple must provide 2 years warranty:
    http://www.apple.com/ie/legal/statutory-warranty/

But this is provided through the seller (eMobile).

I would assume that any warranty repair must be carried out by an authorised Apple repairer, might be worth checking if that is the case, and if so talk to eMobile stating EU law etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Usually it's just fluff in the connector. Clean it out with something. Use an unbent paper clip to try to get the fluff out. Although it's better to use something non-metallic.

I had the same problem, got worse and worse until i cleaned the connector. I was amazed how much fluff had built up inside over the months i'd owned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Call apple directly. No need to go through eMobile. Personally I wouldn't leave anyone but apple repair my iPhone. As long as it was within warranty I've never paid for repairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

fergusb wrote: »

I would assume that any warranty repair must be carried out by an authorised Apple repairer, might be worth checking if that is the case, and if so talk to eMobile stating EU law etc etc.

It doesn't apply because Ireland didn't implement 2 years, due to the Sale of Goods Act offering better protecting at 6 years. If you want to insist on a repair outside the warranty you will have to look at the Small Claims Court route.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

do you wiggle it to the left or right or up and down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZh2eSGT-gc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

whiterebel wrote: »
    It doesn't apply because Ireland didn't implement 2 years, due to the Sale of Goods Act offering better protecting at 6 years. If you want to insist on a repair outside the warranty you will have to look at the Small Claims Court route.

I had my ipad2 replaced under the 2 year eu warranty when it was 4 months old with no issues, they got me to drop into a local compu b, got a phone call a few days later to collect a free replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Apple replaced my iPhone 5 with this problem. It was 2 months outside of the 1 year warranty. I just kept asking for supervisors (calmly) and eventually got on to the 'Customer Relations' team. I just said a €700 phone shouldn't die after 14 months. She agreed and set up the replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

cc wrote: »
    I had my ipad2 replaced under the 2 year eu warranty when it was 4 months old with no issues, they got me to drop into a local compu b, got a phone call a few days later to collect a free replacement

4 months old being the salient point. It was still under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

boreder wrote: »
    Apple replaced my iPhone 5 with this problem. It was 2 months outside of the 1 year warranty. I just kept asking for supervisors (calmly) and eventually got on to the 'Customer Relations' team. I just said a €700 phone shouldn't die after 14 months. She agreed and set up the replacement.

Same here. I got a replacement iPhone 5 last week (disastrous battery life) and my original phone was 3-4 months out of warranty. They quoted me something from the Sales of Goods act, that the product should be fit for purpose for x number of years, regardless of any warranty.

They also seemed to place a lot of store in the fact that I'd originally purchased off them directly and that I owned several other Apple products!

All I paid was the €29 express replacement fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

fergusb wrote: »

Wrong. Its always via Applecare

Wrong. Its always via Applecare

Wrong. Your contract is with the company that sold you the phone, in this instance eMobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭djdunny

Wrong. Your contract is with the company that sold you the phone, in this instance eMobile.

Correct. footnote 2 explains this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭cc

4 months old being the salient point. It was still under the 1 year manufacturer's warranty at that stage.

Sorry my mistake, it was 4 months over the standard 1 yr warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

@op
    It's a fairly standard repair, it may be just as easy to bring it to reputable repair company, I'm sure it wouldn't cost more than €30-€40 max no matter where you went
    do you wiggle it to the left or right or up and down

Just a little bit;)

Advertisement