Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project D Essential Turntable - Best setup

• 17-01-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey All,

Really hoping you can help - complete newbie here so apologies if this is a real novice thing to ask.

We got a great present at Christmas of a Project D - Essential 2 Turntable which has phono output (not USB). We're now looking at setting this up at home and i'm trying to find out what the best setup is.

I have looked at a few options but a couple of questions I would have is:

1. Do I need to buy a pre-amp separately or are there some amplifiers that have a pre-amp built in? Any recommendations of a good starter kit?

2. How do I look to find a good set of speakers to match these?

3. Where do I go in Dublin to get advice on this? It seems like there really isnt many retailers? Would like to chat to somebody about this and get a good idea of what to go with.

Really appreciate any help as this all seems a bit daunting... :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

1. Do I need to buy a pre-amp separately or are there some amplifiers that have a pre-amp built in? Any recommendations of a good starter kit?

2. How do I look to find a good set of speakers to match these?

3. Where do I go in Dublin to get advice on this? It seems like there really isnt many retailers? Would like to chat to somebody about this and get a good idea of what to go with.

A turntable needs an amp that has a phono input or an additional phono stage which will then connect to an amp. You can get a cheap basic one in Maplins I believe for about €25. You could spend what you like on a phono stage, from that basic one up to hundreds of thousands of euro.

You wouldn't really match speakers to a turntable. If anything they'd "match" an amp. I'm assuming a budget entry level system so maybe try richersounds.ie in Belfast?

Places like Cloney Audio in Blackrock might have second hand gear (trade ins) and would be worth talking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Here's an amp bargain for you:
    http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2600

Whay not also try www.hifihut.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I was going to mention that one myself but it may not have the optional phono stage. It's a bargain if it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I was going to mention that one myself but it may not have the optional phono stage. It's a bargain if it does.

True....may not have the phono stage.........still even at that it's a pretty damn good deal at €210.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭user_name_d

Hey all - Cheers for the replies and suggestions. Got caught up in work the last 2 days but just to fill you in on what I went with .. Might prove useful to others who stumble upon this thread.

I gave hifihut a call and went out to them. Really nice guys and found them very helpful. We tested the setup I wanted to go with, which I thought was really useful. So for anyone looking for a place in Dublin I would give these guys my thumbs up.

I had already a Sonos setup at home so I went with the following:

Phono Box [€56]
    http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=phonoboxmm

Sonos Play 5 with line in from Phono Box [€399]

Couldnt be happier with my choice as I can now wirelessly stream the record player to any other room in the apartment. Its a good starter setup and it was easy to install.

Interested to hear your thoughts on above?

Thanks again for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭HifiHut: Daniel

Hey all - Cheers for the replies and suggestions. Got caught up in work the last 2 days but just to fill you in on what I went with .. Might prove useful to others who stumble upon this thread.

I gave hifihut a call and went out to them. Really nice guys and found them very helpful. We tested the setup I wanted to go with, which I thought was really useful. So for anyone looking for a place in Dublin I would give these guys my thumbs up.

I had already a Sonos setup at home so I went with the following:

Phono Box [€56]
    http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=phonoboxmm

Sonos Play 5 with line in from Phono Box [€399]

Couldnt be happier with my choice as I can now wirelessly stream the record player to any other room in the apartment. Its a good starter setup and it was easy to install.

Interested to hear your thoughts on above?

Thanks again for the help.

Glad we could help!

- Daniel

Advertisement