Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get genuine Chinese in Dublin?

Options
  • 18-01-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, having heard various critics singing the praises of indigenous Chinese dishes as opposed to sweet and sour Kung Po etc, any recommendations for where to go and how to ask for more exotic fare?
    (ideally Parnell S)t

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

M Fusion comes with high regard as being very original.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

there's Cantonese style and mandarin style which do you prefer

http://www.chinatownconnection.com/chinese_cuisine.htm

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You probably won't get the same kinda food in dublin as you will in chengdu. But if you want to get as close an experience as you can in dublin, go somewhere on capel street of Parnell street and tell them what you want. Odds are they will give you something that you'd get in some random city in china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

M&L for Szechuan - most of the things on the specials page are really amazing, but I love the green beans with chilli and the lamb with cumin (don't know if that's on the menu)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try the M&L on Cathedral Street or the Hilan on Capel Street.

Chinese cuisine is quite varied - you've got the less spicy Cantonese & Mandarin cuisines all the way through to the hotter Sichuan & Hunan styles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

M&L gets a vote for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Pffft ignore the riff raff , un cultured swines.

Red torch ginger. Not only is the food nice , cocktails amazing. Not expensive either. Do it. You won't regret it.

This ones for free. ideally not near Parnell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Red torch ginger. Not only is the food nice , cocktails amazing. Not expensive either. Do it. You won't regret it.

Why would someone go to a Thai restaurant looking for Chinese food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

OP asked for authentic Chinese, not Thai.

As far as what you can find in Dublin, i'd go with M&L

** Nosietoes beat me to it. **

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Many Chinese restaurants have two menus, one that they give Western people and one that they give Chinese people. Find a restaurant with a lot of Chinese patrons and you should be sorted. I learned this through going out for dinner several times with a Chinese friend.

Beware, the more authentic menu has a lot of strange and potentially unpalatable ingredients in many dishes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Another + for M&L... best thing to do is ask for whatever you're neighbouring (Chinese) peoples table is having. Great food.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There's some place near the tax office that everyone is always raving about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Vile food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'd prefer if you didn't refer to posters here as uncultured swines, especially as you are the one who suggested a thai restaurant to someone asking for chinese food. Warning issued
    fatbhoy wrote: »
    Vile food.

If you have no interest, don't post. The op asked for recommendations, not your personal opinion of the cuisine. Don't drag threads off topic like that again

We went to Lao Hotpot Restaurant on Parnell Street last night. We didn't order any hotpot though but stuck to dishes prepared in the kitchen - green beans fried with chili & pork, Xi Jian lamb, cod in a Sichuan broth with golden mushrooms and grilled lamb skewers. Add in 2 Tsingtao beers and one rice for a total just over €40.

Very much recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Can't remember the name but there was a place on Moore Street. All asian patrons. My friend and I were the only white guys in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

Just logging on to second (or third!) some of the advice given by other posters.

I would definitely recommend M&L's on Cathedral Street, and the Hilan on Capel St. My sister in law is Chinese and I've been to both many times, with Chinese groups. You know you're in the authentic place when these Chinese keep going back there.

Definitely, ask for the "Chinese" menu, rather than the Westernised version. One thing I would say is, don't go for the Chinese salads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Citygirl1 wrote: »

Definitely, ask for the "Chinese" menu, rather than the Westernised version. One thing I would say is, don't go for the Chinese salads.

I asked in M&L for the Chinese menu but wouldn't give it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

So many tips for M&L went there. Ordered from the standard menu, very good - razor claims with rice noodles were great and generous portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

souter wrote: »
    So many tips for M&L went there. Ordered from the standard menu, very good - razor claims with rice noodles were great and generous portions.

Price? might be interested :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Price? might be interested :)
    Reasonable. Can't remember exactly, but 3 beers + 1 mineral, half a crispy duck and 3 mains was < 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Where and what is M&L?
    Thanks

Where and what is M&L?
    Thanks

It's on Cathedral street, next to the Pro-Cathedral. It's a Sichuan style Chinese restuarant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

M&L's menus are on their site here.

• Site Banned Posts: 263 ✭✭Rabelais

I love M&L. But it can be difficult to get some of the more authentic food they do serve. It really seems to depend on the whim of the waiter. If I don't want to order the chicken neck and mushroom then at least allow me have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

BeerNut wrote: »
    M&L's menus are on their site here.

Anyone care to translate/annotate the Chinese menus, and bung them up online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Does authentic = nice ?

I don't mean compared to the fast food silver tray stuff (I'd definitely expect it to be better than that), but nice compared to the good chinese restaurants like the China Sichuan in Sandyford or Mak in D6 ?

I've tried eating around Parnell Street a few times but it's let me down, good on the wallet but a hotpot and some chickens feet and what not although authentic, weren't that nice.

Might give M&L a shot after reading this thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Mapo Tofu with pork, stir fried French beans, aubergine in soy sauce, sea bass with ginger and scallions. Slurp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

+1 for M&L, very tasty and (as far as I can tell) authentic.
    un cultured swines.

'Swines' is not a word. The plural of 'swine' is 'swine'.

I hope that sufficiently illustrates the irony of you attempting to call other people 'uncultured' (that's one word, not two, by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

There's a Korean on Capel street that has a few Chinese dishes. The spicy seafood soup is pretty good, big portion.

Just look for the items that aren't written in hangul.

Advertisement