Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's in the shady part of your garden

• 18-01-2014 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭

I have lawn running along side my north facing wall. Gets a bit water logged at times and no sunshine but would also like something more interesting runnibg along this wall. Any thoughts for this area?

What have you all got?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Evergreen shrubs, can't remember what they are. But have some border space in front and I plant begonias there in summer and they do nicely in the shade for some colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a north facing wall with a raised bed containing ferns, helebores, berginias, a honeysuckle, bluebells and wild violets (which introduced themselves!) They are all left to get on with it (apart from pulling out swathes of montbretia occasionally) and they have filled the bed with a mass of foliage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Fatsia, hellebores, hardy geraniums, Japanese forest grass, and phormiums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Buttercups and puddles. The soil drainage has been bad in every house ive rented in the area, so there's always a shaded patch that's soggy and mostly moss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Gunnera, the massive leaved one. ( giant rhubarb) Itis one of my favourite plants in the garden.
    Brunnera macrophylla
    Loads of astilbe.

Irises love wet too.

Actaea are brill for shade, very striking!

Forgot about Fatsia, fatsia love shade. As do camellia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭cobham

Japanese Anemones and variegated ivy on wall (slower growing than wild).

I recently developed a patch for runner beans and they do surprisingly well in the shady spot.... grow up to reach sun.

Advertisement