Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocklayer Cost

Options
  • 18-01-2014 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just received planning permission for 2300sq ft 2 storey house in Galway.

Just wondering what is the going / average price block layers are charging per block? I found some old threads on this but nothing recent...

RP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Hi, I just received planning permission for 2300sq ft 2 storey house in Galway.

Just wondering what is the going / average price block layers are charging per block? I found some old threads on this but nothing recent...

RP

The good ones are getting 90/100 cent a block and there are lads quoting down as far as 60 cent . Any cheaper than that and they will fairly need to lash them up to make any knid of a wage which isn't good for anyone I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

No one who I got quotes were basing it off a per block price seems to be a thing of the past (Celtic tiger). They just price for the whole job now and some throw in scaffolding or other equipment to try seal the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

price per day or price for job
    price per block is gone as far as i can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Price for job is the same as price per block.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 wilmul80

hi the price per block is still widely used . I was in the same boat as you a year ago . prices range from 60 cent to one euro per block . hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 superted81

Got price per block, 65 below the the ground and 80 above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

superted81 wrote: »
    Got price per block, 65 below the the ground and 80 above

Are you putting in a strip foundation ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

make sure they can lay blocks,theres a lot of chancers out there,tearing down bad workmanship will cost you a lot more in the long run,are you providing blocks cement mixer,hod carrier,scaffold etc,your better paying for the whole job,not per block,the block price is used by builders in big housing estates,most bricklayers will not work for a per block on a single house,you will need two bricklayers and a hod carrier,someone to put up scaffoldyou wil also use scaffold for roof,have you got workers insurance,

• Registered Users Posts: 16 superted81

Strip foundation

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

First point. Get your commencement notice in immediately as there are new rules from match 1st that will mean megabucks charges on the certification side of the build. Also self build will be nearly impossible when this comes in.
    If I was you, I would look for an all in price on the blocks although if underground amount is unknown, these could be priced per block.
    You also need to know exactly what they are pricing for. Who fills the chimney? Who provides the mixer. Are you scaffolding? Ensure price is with cills fitted etc.
    Getting a per block price is a mine field. Are you paying through window opes, are you payingextra for cills and lintels, bricks how will you agree the count?
    Additionally, depending on how well you have done your homework, some guys pricing will estimate the block count Alittle low to make their per block price look better than a genuine all in price knowing full well that it will add up to more in the end.
    Also with today's design, it is common to have corner windows, large apex lintels etc. Who is fitting those if you have them. The guy giving the all in price can consider them and price for them. From experience, the per block guy will either wash his hands of them or go looking for day works.
    Just be carefull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

price per job. all blockwork, chimney filled and capped and finsihed, cills, house cleaned out, teleporter on site as well.
    spoke to a few blocklayers, they love hearing lads wanting to price by block. Get good recomendations on the block layers. want lads with experience and that are currently working

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bartbu

What are the economic consequences of the new regulations being brought in? My planning decision due tomorrow and was intending a self build? Am I bunched?????

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

Most blocklayers will price to cover the whole job, sills,lentils,chimney filled and capped,supply there own mixer and scaffolding. Well that's the way I do it and then at least you know exactly what it's gonna cost.. as long as there are no changes or extras which do happen. What part if galway are you building in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bartbu wrote: »
    What are the economic consequences of the new regulations being brought in? My planning decision due tomorrow and was intending a self build? Am I bunched?????

Essentially, yes, you are, unless you get your commencement notice in in February.

If you are only getting your decision to grant tomorrow, and thus have yet to complete the waiting period, then you won't have PP to commence before end of Feb anyway.

Costs to build, essentially, will go up.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bartbu

Thanks galwaytt. got planning decision. grant date 26th February so will have commencement notice in on 27th feb-this should mean I can go by normal compliance....pheew!

Advertisement