Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS Query

Options
  • 18-01-2014 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

hey guys :)

sorry for posting under this thread i didnt no how to start a new one but it is ras related.. so heres my question, im on the ras scheme and have been now for about 4years, i have 1 child, i work part time and get partial social welfare + fis, all above board. ive had a pretty crap time though with luck with these houses, my first one had to be sold after 2 years, now im in the 2nd one and the same thing has happened so i have to move again but not only that my job is gone as business is closing down :( just a crap time all around but anyways...myself and my partner have spoken about moving in together, were together a longtime now and want to move on as a family as ya do, so do i come away from ras housing or can we both rent with ras even though he is working full time? im just scared at the mo cos i no im going to be out of work but as i have to find new house now is the time to move in together, has anyone any advice or information they could give me please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I've moved your post to it's own thread for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lollydolly12

Anyone any info??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Don't know much about RAS qualifying conditions but I would imagine it would be based on what you are both earning as a household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Anyone any info??

You should talk to your council housing sections ras administrator/housing officer as they are in the best position to advise you.

because im finishing work everything will change if we move in together so i really have no idea what our income would be. hes on a good enough wage i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If you are getting Rent Supplement for a long period and you are in need of long-term housing, you may be eligible for the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS). The scheme is run by local authorities. The local authority makes the final decision regarding who is eligible under the scheme. In general, people who are getting Rent Supplement for more than 18 months are considered for RAS.
    Under the scheme local authorities draw up contracts with landlords to provide housing for an agreed term for people with a long-term housing need. The local authority pays the rent directly to the landlord. You may continue to contribute to your rent but you pay this contribution to your local authority, not to your landlord.
    The key elements of the scheme are:
    • Local authorities pay the full rent to the landlord on behalf of the tenant
    • Landlords must register tenancies with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) and the tenancies are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (pdf).
    • The property must meet minimum standards for private rental accommodation.
    • Deposits are not required since the local authority has entered into a contract with the landlord.
    Further information is available on the website of the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government, including an explanatory leaflet for landlords (pdf) and a list of RAS contacts in local authorities.

Im with RAS as it is, the information Im looking for is can my partner move in with me onto the RAS when hes working full time but im about to lose my job. Ive scanned the net and cant find any info at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Im with RAS as it is, the information Im looking for is can my partner move in with me onto the RAS when hes working full time but im about to lose my job. Ive scanned the net and cant find any info at all.

You need to speak to your CWO but it's highly unlikely. You say that he's on a good enough wage - the state doesn't tend to subsidise such households. You and your child on your own qualify for subsidised accommodation due to your income but it's highly likely that your partner's income will affect that qualification.

You say everything is above board now, please continue to do so and don't pretend your partner isn't moving in if he actually is. Cheating the system is never a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I only know of a couple where both were entitled to RAS and moved in together at the start one studying and one on long term illness, now one is employed full time, and one child.

The rent went from about €40 per week to €87 per week. We rent privately close to them, no rent allowance or any other payment and our rent is €500 per month, so there isn't much in it.

Dont know if this is any help.

They had to apply to be re means assessed by the council, I think it was a percentage of the wages coming into the house.

as i said im on the ras and because i have to move im wondering can i keep on the ras and he come on the rent with me, if not i would rent a house as normal if i can survive money wise until please god i find another job, when i say good wage its 415 a week, im assuming thats about average?

thanks for all responses so far :) its hard to find what your looking for on the net.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AFAIK you can ask to be housed by ras as a couple and both incomes will be taken into account when calculating rent payable, the rent is calculated in the same way as council rent. There is a disregard amount for each person which is never assessed for rent and the rent is about 40% of any amount over this disregard amount.

Someone on the dole or in validity etc getting about €200 will pay about €30 but if they started working and earned an extra €300/week their rent will increase by €120 the rent is capped at €140/week afaik.

The figures I am using may not be accurate and are used to give a general idea of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, there's far more than just RAS in this equation.

OP is currently on the Lone Parents benefit, with some part time work. She is considering moving in with a partner, which will AFAIK totally disquaility her from Lone Parents. She may be able to apply for Jobseekers Allowance - if she is available to work full time. Now, if she is eligible for JSA, then she will also be eligible for RS. But if she is not eligible, for example becuase her partner earns "too much", then RA does not apply. But I have no idea how pre-existing access to the RAS scheme might be affected.

I would strongly suggest moving this thread to State Benefits.

Thanks for all info :)

yes i hope to find full time work when im let go, its all so complicated and hard to get info on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 drummyel

Hi don't know how to start a new thread but hoping someone may have advice I've been on the ras scheme 9 years my contract is up again can i refuse to sign. Having huge problems with the council as there are new houses available in my area but only 3 bed we are now 3 adults 1 child my 80 yr old mum who is in failing health 19yr old 10yr old and me I'm in arrears as as i was waiting on carers allowance and had to pay college fees and accommodation for my child last yr things have settled back down and arrears are over half paid my main problem is the house has draughty windows the oil is leaking the back boiler doesn't work electric shower not working and the bathroom mum uses is lethal when wet I'm terrified she will fall as its not my house i cannot get handrails ect fitted for mum but the council refuse to take this point into consideration constantly stating that the house is sufficient for our needs which it clearly isnt. If i resign they are going to leave us here for another four years with insufficient heat and a clearly dangerous bathroom my hands feel like their tied as they are refusing to house us stating they have nothing the suitable the 3 bed would suit us as mum could have rhe sitting room theres a toiket downstairs which im sure i could get a shower fitted in and the kitchen is big enough to be a kitchen/sitting room and i could get hand rails ect fitted they refuse point blank to look at this for us though what can i do i can't go homeless with mum in tow do haven't rocked the boat with ll if needed i would find the money to pay last arrears but need a definite answer that they would house me which they won't give

Advertisement