Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water heater for bottles - is there such a thing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hello lady! This was posted in the newborns and toddlers thread http://m.ebay.ie/itm?itemId=161193334352

I'd say would be so handy for you. It won't keep the water heated etc but will let you make one big batch of milk in one go to keep in fridge and you won't be spending ages making individual bottles while your 70 degree water gets cold. Could be an idea....

Ha ha i came on here to post exactly that. It seems so handy. Cheaper in bellababy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Lol... 2 great minds Suucee... It seems like a handy one alright! Thanks to emmadilemma! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Could this be what you are looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004XJ9IN4

That only heats the water to 37° so wouldn't sterilise the milk powder :( the Americans don't seem to sterilise the powder for some reason?? Possibly in America the powders pre-sterilised?
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hello lady! This was posted in the newborns and toddlers thread http://m.ebay.ie/itm?itemId=161193334352

I'd say would be so handy for you. It won't keep the water heated etc but will let you make one big batch of milk in one go to keep in fridge and you won't be spending ages making individual bottles while your 70 degree water gets cold. Could be an idea....

Haha I've been using my own invention to do just this! Been making my batches in a measuring jug and then pouring it into the bottles! My measuring jug was €2.50 from the eurosaver shop!

Little update on my method which might be helpful to others.

Sterilise bottles (I have bought extra bottles so that I always have about 10 spare and usually do my sterilisation in a big batch of at least 10 or 12).
    Boil kettle.
    Once boiled pour into sterilised measuring jugs.
    Put the jugs into a basin of cold water to cool down.
    Pop in a jam thermometer. When the temp reads 70° add the required number of scoops of formula to the jugs.
    Poor into each bottle

I just measure in multiples of the bottle quantity into the jugs (e.g I have a 1.5 litre jug and fill it to the 1200ml mark for 10 bottles, to 600ml for 5 etc.) I put the equivalent number of scoops, so for 5 bottles its 20 scoops and so on. I use a small whisk to make sure the formula doesn't go lumpy.

It usually takes about 5-10 mins to cool the boiled water in the water bath. About 20 mins if I just pour it and let it cool at room temperature. But it cools quicker than in the kettle as the air cools it quicker. If I have bottles to sterilise I can do this while waiting for the water to cool so I do it at room temperature.

So now I can either sterilise AND prepare the bottles in about 20 mins. If the bottles are already sterilised I can have the kettle boiled and cooled in under 10 mins.

If things are very hectic I just leave the mixed formula in the jugs and cover them and put them in the fridge.

It's still not as convenient as if the boiled water was maintained at 70° until I am ready, but it means that within 10 mins of the kettle boiling I can have bottles made which is much better than hanging around 30 mins cos I'm my house in those 30 mins all manner of kerfuffle can erupt to distract you.

Also, I generally use a steam steriliser. But if I am pushed for time and have lots of bottles to sterilise, I cold water sterilise them. I bought a large plastic box in Ikea. I pop all the bottles in with some Milton and go off and do other bits and 30 min later they are ready to use. Generally quicker for me than doing 6 at a time in the steam steriliser. But I prefer not to use chemicals if I can avoid it so generally as I get 6 bottles at a time I pop them in the steriliser and then I have another plastic box with a lid where I keep the sterilised bottles (with their lids on) so that they stay sterile til I need them.

It's still not ideal but better than it was when I was boiling kettles every hour because I got distracted and much quicker. It might be helpful to some other mums.

Little update on my method which might be helpful to others.

Sterilise bottles (I have bought extra bottles so that I always have about 10 spare and usually do my sterilisation in a big batch of at least 10 or 12).
    Boil kettle.
    Once boiled pour into sterilised measuring jugs.
    Put the jugs into a basin of cold water to cool down.
    Pop in a jam thermometer. When the temp reads 70° add the required number of scoops of formula to the jugs.
    Poor into each bottle

I just measure in multiples of the bottle quantity into the jugs (e.g I have a 1.5 litre jug and fill it to the 1200ml mark for 10 bottles, to 600ml for 5 etc.) I put the equivalent number of scoops, so for 5 bottles its 20 scoops and so on. I use a small whisk to make sure the formula doesn't go lumpy.

It usually takes about 5-10 mins to cool the boiled water in the water bath. About 20 mins if I just pour it and let it cool at room temperature. But it cools quicker than in the kettle as the air cools it quicker. If I have bottles to sterilise I can do this while waiting for the water to cool so I do it at room temperature.

So now I can either sterilise AND prepare the bottles in about 20 mins. If the bottles are already sterilised I can have the kettle boiled and cooled in under 10 mins.

If things are very hectic I just leave the mixed formula in the jugs and cover them and put them in the fridge.

It's still not as convenient as if the boiled water was maintained at 70° until I am ready, but it means that within 10 mins of the kettle boiling I can have bottles made which is much better than hanging around 30 mins cos I'm my house in those 30 mins all manner of kerfuffle can erupt to distract you.

Also, I generally use a steam steriliser. But if I am pushed for time and have lots of bottles to sterilise, I cold water sterilise them. I bought a large plastic box in Ikea. I pop all the bottles in with some Milton and go off and do other bits and 30 min later they are ready to use. Generally quicker for me than doing 6 at a time in the steam steriliser. But I prefer not to use chemicals if I can avoid it so generally as I get 6 bottles at a time I pop them in the steriliser and then I have another plastic box with a lid where I keep the sterilised bottles (with their lids on) so that they stay sterile til I need them.

It's still not ideal but better than it was when I was boiling kettles every hour because I got distracted and much quicker. It might be helpful to some other mums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement