Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Internet since Friday afternoon, Eircom says no disconnection?

Options
  • 18-01-2014 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Our broadband randomly stopped working earlier on Froday, tried multiple router resets and no luck. Talked to Eircom and they said they could see the connection drop out at around 1PM, but had no idea why - there was no official disconnection or anything like that. At length the guy on the phone said we'd have to get a technician out next week to check the line, but does it make any sense that the phone which is connected to the same line on a wall splitter still works perfectly? Plus, the router seems to be implying that it has a connection to Eircom but just isn't getting an IP address or Internet connection back from them.

Any idea what might be going on?
    Router stats are below:

LAN

IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

DHCP Server:
    Enabled
    WAN

Connected

Connection Type:
    PPPoE

IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:

DNS Server:

NAT:
    Enabled

PPP connection time:
    0dd:00hh:00mm:00ss
    ADSL

ADSL Firmware Version:
    FwVer:3.10.16.0_TC3085 HwVer:T14.F7_3.0

Line State:
    Showtime

Modulation:
    ADSL2 PLUS

Annex Mode:
    ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin:
    8.8 9.3 db
    Line Attenuation:
    28.0 15.3 db
    Data Rate:
    12288 1020 kbps

>> Testing Ethernet LAN connection ...
    PASS

>> Testing ADSL Synchronization .
    PASS

>> Testing ATM OAM segment ping ...
    FAIL

>> Testing ATM OAM end to end ping ...
    FAIL

>> Ping Primary Domain Name Server .
    SKIPPED

>> Ping www.yahoo.com ...
    FAIL

Any ideas what might be going on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

The connection between you and the exchange seems to be up, but the connection from the DSLAM in the exchange to the core network seems to be down (ATM). The problem is almost definitely in the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

gerryk wrote: »
    The connection between you and the exchange seems to be up, but the connection from the DSLAM in the exchange to the core network seems to be down (ATM). The problem is almost definitely in the exchange.

Thanks for that, as someone who's into tech and fixing things myself I rally should know what those abbreviations stand for by now :D

Can you jut clarify, does this mean the problem is probably not related specifically to my gaff's line? And should that also mean that neighbours we have on Eircom would be out too?
    I live in Sandycove, just after the crossroads of Dun Laoghaire / Glenegeary hill, which exchange would be our closest do you know?

EDIT: next door neighbours are ok, what does that mean in terms of my issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Well kind of. In general a house is connected back to the exchange via a copper pair. DSL is a way of carrying data over this pair. In very rare occasions, more than one house will share a pair, but this is not common, so for your and almost everyone's case, your connection back to the exchange is your's and your's alone. Your DSL connection is syncing, which means it is up, so the pair from you to the ecchange is fine, and the DSL port on the incoming frame is fine. You can also assume that the DSLAM is also functioning, as I don't believe your connection will sync without it.
    ATM is the low level data transport over which ISDN, DSL etc. travels in Eircom's core network. The IP traffic is tunnelled. Eventually, the IP traffic is unwrapped and passed to an Eircom core router. This is the 'first hop', after which you are on the internet.
    It seems that the issue is here, as I am pretty sure there is no ATM functionality in the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Our broadband randomly stopped working earlier on Froday, tried multiple router resets and no luck. Talked to Eircom and they said they could see the connection drop out at around 1PM, but had no idea why - there was no official disconnection or anything like that. At length the guy on the phone said we'd have to get a technician out next week to check the line, but does it make any sense that the phone which is connected to the same line on a wall splitter still works perfectly? Plus, the router seems to be implying that it has a connection to Eircom but just isn't getting an IP address or Internet connection back from them.

Any idea what might be going on?
    Router stats are below:

LAN

IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

DHCP Server:
    Enabled
    WAN

Connected

Connection Type:
    PPPoE

IP Address:

Subnet Mask:

Default Gateway:

DNS Server:

NAT:
    Enabled

PPP connection time:
    0dd:00hh:00mm:00ss
    ADSL

ADSL Firmware Version:
    FwVer:3.10.16.0_TC3085 HwVer:T14.F7_3.0

Line State:
    Showtime

Modulation:
    ADSL2 PLUS

Annex Mode:
    ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin:
    8.8 9.3 db
    Line Attenuation:
    28.0 15.3 db
    Data Rate:
    12288 1020 kbps

>> Testing Ethernet LAN connection ...
    PASS

>> Testing ADSL Synchronization .
    PASS

>> Testing ATM OAM segment ping ...
    FAIL

>> Testing ATM OAM end to end ping ...
    FAIL

>> Ping Primary Domain Name Server .
    SKIPPED

>> Ping www.yahoo.com ...
    FAIL

Any ideas what might be going on here?
    Hi hatrickpatrick

If you would like to PM me your landline number I can run a few tests and see if I can shed more light on to this?

Thanks

Al

Advertisement