Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon des Escargots ( half & 10k ), Portarlington, 12/07/2014

Options
  • 18-01-2014 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

On July 12th we will be holding Marathon des Escargots in Portarlington, Co Laois. We'll also have a half marathon & 10k event.

The event is 100% for charity raising funds for Irish Autism Action & LARCC Cancer Support.

The weekend in question is festival weekend in Portarlington and they'll be fun and live music on the streets all weekend. We hope to have hotel specials and a free bus to bring you back into town after the race for a few drinks !

There'd early bird specials in place until April 30th so get in there early !

Full information on how to register and routes are on www.marathondesescargots.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The event is now open for entry and its been confirmed that precision timing with be providing the timing for the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

This might interest some, we're giving away a race entry on on facebook page at the moment www.facebook.com/upandovertri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I might do the half its local to me !

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

was thinking of signing up for this, as a birthday present for myself haha.

many sign up for this? looks like a few climbs in it :(

colin32 wrote: »
    was thinking of signing up for this, as a birthday present for myself haha.

many sign up for this? looks like a few climbs in it :(

On the half there's one climb at about 17k other than that its mainly a flat course. The 10k is flat and the marathon is mainly flat as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

oh right. looked at route and said a climb at around 9km - 12km as well

colin32 wrote: »
    oh right. looked at route and said a climb at around 9km - 12km as well

Na stight hill i wouldn't even consider them a climb really i've cycled the route a few times.

Seeing as Elvis has left the building i've been asked to answer any questions on this event.

One thing i've been asked to mention is that the early bird offer is up at the end of April and that remember that unlike other races who say they are raising money for charity this race is ONLY for charity. After the basic costs of chip timing, water, insurance, medals etc ALL other money will be going to Irish Autism Action & LARCC Cancer Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

is the first time to run this event in portarlington? Just wondering would there be many doing the half?

The event was run last year as a point to point from Ballybrittas to the Curragh and had over 100 doing it.

It was part of a bigger event for charity as well. This year it has a new route but same organisers in Portarlington. They plan to build it as part of the local festival, helping the community and raising money for worthy charities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

It's got the AAI permit and chip timing and the route looks ok. Hopefully it gets a good crowd.

Just a reminder that the early bird offer is up on at the of April. So register early and save a few quid !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Hi,
    Just wondering,
    How many are expected to do the full?
    Are there pacers?
    Any chance it will sell out?

Finnt wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondering,
    How many are expected to do the full?
    Are there pacers?
    Any chance it will sell out?

50 to 80 will run in the full, there will be no pacers this year but as the event grows we hope to add this.

No the event won't sell out in 2014 but there a price increase ( the only one ) at the end of April.

Any other questions just post them here.

@colin32, the half route has been changed to remove that hill at mile 11 and two bad bends as well.

The full route is the half route twice, is it not? If so, it's smoothed out by the change too, correct?

Is the route very sheltered or is it quite open? Just thinking July 12th could be quite sunny (though we're probably not due another sunny July for a good few years!).

I'm on the verge of signing up for the full - just need to decide that I'm going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    \
    I'm on the verge of signing up for the full - just need to decide that I'm going for it.
    :eek: :D

:eek: :D

Damn - rumbled. Say nothing - I could get sense yet. ;-)

The full route is the half route twice, is it not? If so, it's smoothed out by the change too, correct?

Is the route very sheltered or is it quite open? Just thinking July 12th could be quite sunny (though we're probably not due another sunny July for a good few years!).

Sorry for the delay !

The route is fairly sheltered but not 100%, i ran some of it during the week at about 10:30 am and i was fairly sheltered.

As one of our charities is a cancer charity sun burn etc are important and we'll have sun cream at every water station ( every 5k ) and extra water will be on reserve if needed. I know that weekend last year was HOT as i did a half iron event and got badly burned:(

The full route is mainly the half route twice but not 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Signed up for the 1/2, great price for a timed event and I know the course.

Will any of the local public houses be looking kindly on medal holders :D

Now, to learn how to run.

connundrum wrote: »
    Signed up for the 1/2, great price for a timed event and I know the course.

Will any of the local public houses be looking kindly on medal holders :D

Now, to learn how to run.

We'll be having a raffle and some fun in The Anvil that night !

Price stays at 50 for the full and 25 for the half until the end of April....so just over two days to get in at that price !!!

• Advertisement

Damn - rumbled. Say nothing - I could get sense yet. ;-)

So did you get sense ??

So did you get sense ??

Might have... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I knew you'd be back :p

I knew you'd be back :p

Why - where was I?

My next race is Hell and Back. Then the Up and Over Tri. We'll talk about after that after that. ;)

Why - where was I?

My next race is Hell and Back. Then the Up and Over Tri. We'll talk about after that after that. ;)

Oh the Up & Over tri...........that'll be a tough day at the office for some of us:(

Oh the Up & Over tri...........that'll be a tough day at the office for some of us:(

You're right - I expect I'll be tired.

Wait - you were talking about the guys doing 12 consecutive sprint tris in 24 hours?

You're right - I expect I'll be tired.

Wait - you were talking about the guys doing 12 consecutive sprint tris in 24 hours?

Ya those mad clowns !!!

Remember BBQ and live music after the tri & street festival after the marathon event !

There might be a directors run on the Friday so a nice back to back full distance for anyone who fancies it !

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

There might be a directors run on the Friday so a nice back to back full distance for anyone who fancies it !

Some of the MCI lads will definitely be keen on a b2b, keep us posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 baldymolloy

wish the lads all the best with the race they put on a great day
    sorry that i can't make it this year would love to be doing it

Advertisement