Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon des Escargots ( half & 10k ), Portarlington, 12/07/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Will there be another price increase? Missed the early bird unfortunately. Don't suppose there's a boardsie discount?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Will there be another price increase? Missed the early bird unfortunately. Don't suppose there's a boardsie discount?!

Nope and nope !

The price will be the same up to the closing on July 1st !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

What kind of numbers did you get for the full last year? Presumably you'll be hoping for the same or more this year?

What kind of numbers did you get for the full last year? Presumably you'll be hoping for the same or more this year?

I believe there were 55 to 60 last year. Last year was a point to point event as part of a major charity event so the route was the route and nothing could be done.

This year is on smaller roads, a lot of it in the country on nice quiet roads.

Details of the directors run will be known this evening after the organisers meet.

If anyone has any questions today is a good day to ask as i can bring them to the organisers !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

Cheers Claude. I'm (relatively) local to Port but was away last year and couldn't do the race. Looking forward to it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Just curious, any idea as to what numbers you are expecting for the half?

denis160 wrote: »
    Just curious, any idea as to what numbers you are expecting for the half?

Sorry for the delay with my reply. We are hoping for 80 to 100. Its a tough market out there but i'd hope that people would rather see their money go to charities than greedy race directors.

At the moment the entry fee is 32 euro which will not change BUT we might allow entry on the day at that price but with no t shirt as the t shirts are being ordered in advance with just what we need to keep costs down and allow our percentage aim of 90% to our charities be kept in line.

So far our chip timing has been sponsored, our water has been sponsored, our signs have been sponsored. The more we can get sponsored the lower the costs and the more our charities get from your entry fee.

Directors run is open, its on July 11th stating at 9:30. Its password protected so you can pop me a message for the password. I've also posted it on the 100 club FB page !

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baldymolloy

think i be able to do the directors one now

Great to hear !

Normal or early start time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

Are there 2 start times for the directors?

Gijima wrote: »
    Are there 2 start times for the directors?

No just one, we were aware that the above user might need to start early because of family commitments and as they won the event last year we wanted to make sure they were involved in 2014.

Great to hear !

Normal or early start time ?

it will have to be a early start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Jaysus baldy ..Ur worse than miley bleeding Cyrus with all Ur demands...:)

No probs pop me a mail and we'll sort you out !

ultraman1 wrote: »

Ah in Laois we're more open to helping out our runners............not like Kildare;)

ultraman1 wrote: »

my other half brother is getting marrried that weekend so have to get in a sneaky one

After a meeting last night i just wanted to confirm that.

1. If you intend to run and want a t shirt you must enter by June 30th as we are ordering just what we need to keep costs down and maximise the funds that go to our charites.

2. After that date you may still enter all distances online up until July 10th and after that on the morning of the race in limited numbers. No t shirts will be available on the day as the order will be going in on July 1st to our suppliers.

We will have some snazzy wristbands for sale on the day as well for just €2 with at €1.20 of that going to our charities, the rest is production costs.

I look forward to seeing as many as possible on July 12th in Portarlington and any questions just post them here !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I might run this but I don't want a tee-shirt. Autism is a charity close to my heart so can I pay on the day and the extra money will go to the charities?

Beef wrote: »
    I might run this but I don't want a tee-shirt. Autism is a charity close to my heart so can I pay on the day and the extra money will go to the charities?

Yes of course you can but just be aware that the extra you pay up until June 30th is to cover the cost of the t shirt. No less will go to our charities !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 allisonh

Hi, am registered for the half, great charities. Not a fast runner but wondering if there is a time limit for the half? Also are there any B&Bs or hotels close by? Don't fancy driving from Louth on the morning.

allisonh wrote: »
    Hi, am registered for the half, great charities. Not a fast runner but wondering if there is a time limit for the half? Also are there any B&Bs or hotels close by? Don't fancy driving from Louth on the morning.

Hi,

Try Delaneys Roadhouse its about 8k from Portarlington and does great food as well. I have family stay there and they always say nice things about it.

you can get them on (057)8626453 and we'll have registration open the evening before in Portarlington so you can get a nice lie in !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Hi. Anyone know the profile of the 10k course? Would it be a PB course

Thanks.

Hi. Anyone know the profile of the 10k course? Would it be a PB course

Thanks.

Here you go, its an out and back course so you'll do the only hill twice.

http://www.strava.com/routes/138039

Here's the full route, as you can see one hill close to the start and then its a nice flat route !

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/433896062

We've been made aware of some problems with Run Ireland so here's a direct active link.

http://www.active.com/laois-ireland/running/distance-running-races/marathon-des-escargots-full-half-10k-2014

Remember if you want a t shirt you must register by June 30th !! After that its non t shirt entries only.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tetney

Hi

Just wondering what numbers you are expecting for the half and what is the course like. Flat?

Thanks

We hope to have 80 to 10 running the half event. We have 60 so far and still a few weeks of registering left. The course is nice and flat, there was a major hill on it but we changed the route and and it a lot flatter. There's a slight drag at about 4k and on the way back at 18k but other than that its a nice flat run. I'll get a map o the improved route up by the weekend.

As its the first year we want to do it small and get it right. We want this event to build and we have a long term view of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ctmck

I've entered the half but I'm very slow (hope to finish in 2.15-2.30) but a bit worried now that the field would be too small and I'll be left on my own finishing an hour behind every one else

Is there anyone else in my boat or would it be better if I change to 10k (if the option to change is there of course)

• Advertisement

ctmck wrote: »
    I've entered the half but I'm very slow (hope to finish in 2.15-2.30) but a bit worried now that the field would be too small and I'll be left on my own finishing an hour behind every one else

Is there anyone else in my boat or would it be better if I change to 10k (if the option to change is there of course)

Don't worry at all, with a 2:30 time you'll be finishing with the 4 hr marathon runners so you won't be alone !!!

The marathon begins at 9:30 with the half at 11 and the 10k at 11:30.

Advertisement