Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay power in a rented house ?

Options
  • 18-01-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

As my Tenant has left with no forwarding address and I now have to set up an electric supply and gas supply in my name for the Two or three weeks I should have the property in my name it got me thinking of pre pay power. Would tenants be happy with this system ? Would it put professional types off ? Does a similar system exists for gas ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It's a more expensive option to be honest. I wouldn't want it if I was a tenant.

Gas providers do have the option if you are in arrears only.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

It's a more expensive option to be honest. I wouldn't want it if I was a tenant.

Gas providers do have the option if you are in arrears only.
    Ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

I wouldn't go with Pre Pay Power as they charge a daily charge for renting their equipment on top of paying for the electricity and standing charges. It works out at over €130 a year extra.

You can get a Pay as You Go gas meter put in at a charge of approx €110 or if your in arrears I think they might do it for free. There's no other extra "rental" charges for having it once it's in but you don't get to avail of any discounts.

I'm with Electric Ireland and I got the gas one put in a few months ago (it's called PAYG Choice) and I think it's great. I paid the installation fee for it. No big bills coming in the door. I asked for one for the electricity but they said I need to be in arrears to get one. :confused: A bit silly imo.

I'm not sure how a tenant would feel about it as they don't have a choice of moving to other providers that would offer discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

I have prepay power, im a renter, my bill with prepay is averaging €50 per 2 months cheaper, cant go wrong with it in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If I were a tenant looking for a home I would be delighted with prepay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why would people be happier to pay more for a basic utility service :confused:

Prepay is really only for those who are unable to manage money imho.

OP Bonkers.ie had a blog post on prepay options last year: http://www.bonkers.ie/blog/could-you-save-money-with-an-electricity-prepayment-meter-/

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why would people be happier to pay more for a basic utility service :confused:

Prepay is really only for those who are unable to manage money imho.

I can manage my money perfectly well, I know a lot of people with prepay power and their bi-monthly bill is cheaper, as is mine. My bill with Electric Ireland used to average €250, with prepay I top up by €100 per month and have money left over on it the next month when topping up again. Thats with 2 adults and 4 kids in the house, tv's on all day, xbox's and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One of the two suppliers is now charging a surcharge on the EI "Standard Rates" (that nobody should be paying, as even EI offer multiple cheaper rates) as well as their massive standing charge.

There is absolutely no way your bill can be cheaper unless you were absolutely wanton with power consumption beforehand and reigned it in after changing - its not actually possible otherwise. Cheaper to buy a few socket power meters and go around the house with them.

It would put me off hugely from renting somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Big Davey wrote: »
    Would it put professional types off ?
    As a professional tenant I would definitely be put off and I would insist that the landlord revert to a proper power supply at their own expense. No way I'm going to pay extra for electricity.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    One of the two suppliers is now charging a surcharge on the EI "Standard Rates" (that nobody should be paying, as even EI offer multiple cheaper rates) as well as their massive standing charge.

There is absolutely no way your bill can be cheaper unless you were absolutely wanton with power consumption beforehand and reigned it in after changing - its not actually possible otherwise. Cheaper to buy a few socket power meters and go around the house with them.

It would put me off hugely from renting somewhere.

Your telling me theres no way it can be cheaper, I know its cheaper, i'm paying the bleedin bills, my sister has Electric Ireland with 2 adults and 3 kids and her bills are always more expensive on the lowest rate than what I spend. You can say and believe til the cows come home that you think its more expensive but I know it isn't as I use it

billie1b wrote: »
    Your telling me theres no way it can be cheaper, I know its cheaper, i'm paying the bleedin bills, my sister has Electric Ireland with 2 adults and 3 kids and her bills are always more expensive on the lowest rate than what I spend. You can say and believe til the cows come home that you think its more expensive but I know it isn't as I use it

Is your house and your sisters identical though?
    There are two people in my parents house, and two people in mine - my bill is half of what my father pays out. Sometimes you are comparing apples and oranges when it comes to utilities.

Reports have shown that the prepay companies are more expensive, I've already linked to the bonkers.ie blog, below are two more articles that are reporting increased costs are linked to the prepay options.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/prepay-electricity-users-fork-out-extra-137-a-year-29279402.html

http://irishfinancialreview.com/2013/10/04/prepaid-electricity-meters-significantly-increase-costs-for-families/

You are tied into that company as long as their meter is in their house, meaning that tenant can't bring their billing history/discounts with them if they move in. They also can't move providers if they feel they will get a better deal elsewhere.
    The landlord will also probably not be impressed having to pay charges to have the meter removed from their property at their cost or have the wall redecorated to fix any markings/holes that are left behind from its removal. Or tenants refusing to take their house because they don't want to be paying the higher costs associated with prepay companies.

Is your house and your sisters identical though?
    There are two people in my parents house, and two people in mine - my bill is half of what my father pays out. Sometimes you are comparing apples and oranges when it comes to utilities.

Reports have shown that the prepay companies are more expensive, I've already linked to the bonkers.ie blog, below are two more articles that are reporting increased costs are linked to the prepay options.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/prepay-electricity-users-fork-out-extra-137-a-year-29279402.html

http://irishfinancialreview.com/2013/10/04/prepaid-electricity-meters-significantly-increase-costs-for-families/

You are tied into that company as long as their meter is in their house, meaning that tenant can't bring their billing history/discounts with them if they move in. They also can't move providers if they feel they will get a better deal elsewhere.
    The landlord will also probably not be impressed having to pay charges to have the meter removed from their property at their cost or have the wall redecorated to fix any markings/holes that are left behind from its removal. Or tenants refusing to take their house because they don't want to be paying the higher costs associated with prepay companies.

I have a 4 bedroom and she has a 3 bedroom one, mine is the bigger house and still works out cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It's not about house size.

The only way you can compare is if you and your sister are using exactly the same number of units. Of course her bills will be higher if she uses more electricity. The thing is, if you were both to use the same amount your bill would be more expensive than hers because it's prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What you're saying defies both the laws of economics and physics.

Your bills cannot become lower by changing to a significantly dearer supplier unless you also made a massive adjustment in your usage patterns at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

On one side, billie1b's anecdotes. On the other side, basic mathematics. Hmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have prepay power, im a renter, my bill with prepay is averaging €50 per 2 months cheaper, cant go wrong with it in my opinion

Your consumption is down, the price you pay for it has increased. Remember your bill is for 9 weeks not 8

I will tell you there is no way your kwh price is cheaper.
    You are not paying your bleedin bills, your on prepay with no bills.

I have a 4 bedroom and she has a 3 bedroom one, mine is the bigger house and still works out cheaper

House size means nothing.
    In my 3 bed house I have the following lights.
    Kitchen 4w led *8
    Living room 5.8w led *1
    Hall 5.8w led *1
    Porch 11W cfl* 1
    Landing 11w cfl* 1
    Bathroom 11w cfl* 1
    Bedrooms 11w cfl * 3
    Total lights= 109.6w

My sister has a similar size house. In one if her rooms she has a 100w lamp. I reckon her total lights are around 1000w

So she pays around 18c an hour, I pay around 1.8c an hour

You see the difference that house size is irrelevant

ted1 wrote: »
    I will tell you there is no way your kwh price is cheaper.
    You are not paying your bleedin bills, your on prepay with no bills.

Its still a bill that I have to pay, if I didnt pay it i'd have no electricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

What did I start lol
    The price per unit is more expensive on pre pay so it has to be more expensive comparing like for like correct ?

Big Davey wrote: »
    What did I start lol
    The price per unit is more expensive on pre pay so it has to be more expensive comparing like for like correct ?

Plus the additional charge of 37c a day

Its still a bill that I have to pay, if I didnt pay it i'd have no electricity

Not technically a bill and you don't get a break down shown usage and costs. Clever that ;)

ted1 wrote: »
    Not technically a bill and you don't get a break down shown usage and costs. Clever that ;)

Yeah I do, your allowed to request it, I get one every few months

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I had tenants that absolutely positively would not take bills in their own name so changed both meters to prepay and no complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Myself and oh had it in our last property and are getting it into our new one. I much prefer it as there are no nasty surprises, I am much more energy conscious and efficient.
    Some people, like myself, just prefer the rigidity.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Myself and oh had it in our last property and are getting it into our new one. I much prefer it as there are no nasty surprises, I am much more energy conscious and efficient.
    Some people, like myself, just prefer the rigidity.

What type lights have you? 40% of domestic loads is lighting. No point in paying extra for electricity, when you can put the extra money into energy saving and get cheaper electricity got ever.

I'm at the point where I can't cut back my usage any further.

Changing to prepay makes nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Love prepay power no more nasty bills

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If I was letting to professionals, and had the house equipped to a high standard, the last thing in the world I'd do is install pre-pay meters- it would instantly rule out the tenant type I'd be seeking. Usual- is part of the hand-over includes a meter reading and the transfer of utility accounts to the tenant. Pretty standard, to be honest.

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    Love prepay power no more nasty bills

Conpare these prices http://prepaypower.ie/pricing
    To these.
    https://www.airtricity.com/ie/home/products/electricity/custom-plan
    Or these http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/publications/tariffs/ Remember you get 10-20% off these prices when you switch
    Your actually mad, do you do your weekly shop in spar as oppose to a supermarket? That's what it's actually like

Advertisement