Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay power in a rented house ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

lukesmom wrote: »
    Why TYPE of tenant would that be? Think your making a generalisation there that's unwarranted.

Exactly what I was thinking. To suggest that I and my partner are some sort of lower class, unsavoury sort because you dont agree with them is downright rude.
    So what if it is more expensive? Maybe I just prefer it? Like when I go to my local supermarket to buy proper butter because I dont like the stuff in Lidl. Butter is butter, just like electricity is electricity. I might be paying more, but it doesnt suit me to take the cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Pre pay power users are not a lower class or inferior in any way the object of the initial question simply was in the open market of property rental would pre pay power in general put prospective tenants off and it appears the answer would be yes. It is more expensive like for like or price per unit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Exactly what I was thinking. To suggest that I and my partner are some sort of lower class, unsavoury sort because you dont agree with them is downright rude.
    no one has implied that. It was simply stated, and agreed with by most, that the vast majority of tenants prefer bill pay, and the associated cheaper electricity, and that professional tenants would be put off by pre pay. That's obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

MouseTail wrote: »
    no one has implied that. It was simply stated, and agreed with by most, that the vast majority of tenants prefer bill pay, and the associated cheaper electricity, and that professional tenants would be put off by pre pay. That's obvious!

Not true! The conductor said it would rule out the 'type' of tenant he'd be looking for

Yes, professional tenants. That has been borne out by responses on this thread. Tenants who are reliant on SW may like the pre pay element as it enables them to budget. In fact, that is who these companies aggressively market to. Its their demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Mr.S wrote: »
    Well my thinking was, pay €50 into the meter, split that between how many people in the house. Then the electricity is paid for the following month and so forth. No hassle with bills, DD, collecting money off housemates before the DD comes out of the persons account, what if someone decides to move out and not pay the bill after it comes?

I'd much prefer a prepay meter if the bill was in my name and i was living with people I didn't really know!
    So you are home alone room mates are not back from work and you need to top up. You'll be stuck paying for it

Not true! The conductor said it would rule out the 'type' of tenant he'd be looking for

And it would, professional tenants don't like prepay, as its dearer and can see it for the con it is

My tenants got it fitted by electric Ireland and board gais as they fell behind in their bills, guess what, there social welfare tenants.

billie1b wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice and I did know all that, a guy from Electric Ireland knocked on my door the other evening, sound fella, chatted for ages. He wouldn't believe that I was averaging €2.50-€2.80 per day including my daily charge, he came into my house and I showed him the meter, the previous days, weeks and months charge and his words were 'jesus thats brilliant'. He turned around and my wife had the cooker on, the kids were playing xbox (32inch tv) in the kitchen, I was watching Air Crash Investigation (50 inch tv), the christmas tree lights were on, all the xmas lights in the windows (10 windows) and most the house lights were on, he said 'I can see why your not interested in bill pay'. We talked a few minutes more about football and he left.
    Post the report that shows your spend and consumption.
    Then we can compare that to bill pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

.......................... Like when I go to my local supermarket to buy proper butter because I dont like the stuff in Lidl.

Lidl sell Kerrygold, butter doesn't get any more proper than that. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

ted1 wrote: »
    And it would, professional tenants don't like prepay, as its dearer and can see it for the con it is

My tenants got it fitted by electric Ireland and board gais as they fell behind in their bills, guess what, there social welfare tenants.

So your calling social welfare tenants stupid then.

• Advertisement

No one is saying that. SW tenants are more likely to use pre pay as they are less likely to have the cash flow for bill pay.
    They are willing to pay a premium for the ability to pay in small regular amounts.

Its not stupidity, for many it is necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

What do ye class as professionals? High wages? Job type?

I'd imagine each Landlord has their own definition when they put "would suit professionals" in an ad. Some want white collar workers, some people in any steady job. For most, I imagine it just means, no students or RA recipients.

I'd imagine each Landlord has their own definition when they put "would suit professionals" in an ad. Some want white collar workers, some people in any steady job. For most, I imagine it just means, no students or RA recipients.

Just wondering, my landlord has myself down as a professional and I have prepay power

So your calling social welfare tenants stupid then.

Not stupid par say, but not fully clued in with regards money. Maybe when you have to earn it, you appreciate it more.

What demographic has the most up take of pay day loans? You know the ones with the astronomical interest rates

So now we are not professionals?

Obviously because the own a house to rent the landlords are considering themselves as 'professional' or business people, when in fact most of them bought during the boom out of their price range and are now relying on non-professionals as they call it to pay their oversized mortgage but still have the cheek to put these people down because they use prepay electricity. Maybe if the Landlords had of done a basic business studies class in school they would of noticed their small house they paid 4 times the average price for was worth nothing and lying about their wages was the first mistake to their business portfolio that they thought they were superstars with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks please cut it out and get back on topic.

People really are taking exception to this thread. I have no idea of your circumstances, nor do other posters. We have no clue if you are a professional or not.

People really are taking exception to this thread. I have no idea of your circumstances, nor do other posters. We have no clue if you are a professional or not.

That being the case how can anyone say that professionals will be deterred when no one here can determine who is professional. Its insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

That being the case how can anyone say that professionals will be deterred when no one here can determine who is professional. Its insulting.

There has already been a mod warning to get back on topic..no more warnings.
    This thread is about prepay meters, not determining the type of tenant any of the posters are.

Professional are those who have a qualification and are accredited to a recognised self regulating body. Such as chartered accountants, chartered engineers, doctors etc.

Do you fall into that bracket ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work with 3 girls that share a house and though I am dead against the meters, it really does work for them.

Every Friday a different person buy €35 credit and put it in. If they are heading away they buy the credit and put their name on it and someone puts it in for them. If the credit isn't used they put in the new credit anyway and have it for bad weather etc.

They don't seem to have a contract as the meter was in situ when they moved in, they would see any costs related to it as the landlords issue.

They also have a meter for the gas heating but only put something like €10 pw into it.

After about 8 months, they feel it is working well for them, BUT they asked the landlord to put a little box/press over the electric meter as they were not happy with visitors seeing it!! Not sure where their gas one is.

They would be medical professionals!

billie1b wrote: »
    What do ye class as professionals? High wages? Job type?
    Probably prostitutes would be considered professionals lol

Big Davey wrote: »
    Probably prostitutes would be considered professionals lol

They would be big earners :D

I didn't buy in the boom I bought 2 properties before the boom and worked hard to get them. I am a trades person nothing more than that. I would never put "suit professionals" on an add it is hard to know who is the best type of Tenant ? If you get RA people at least you are virtually guaranteed some of the money at some point. If Pat the self employed architect looses his job he might not get Dole or RA he may not have savings and he may have nowhere else to go but stay in your house rent free but he is a "professional". One of the best Tenants I ever had was an African refugee lady she was there for 5 or 6 years the SW paid the rent no problems I wish all were that easy but lots of people said no no don't do it.

I didn't buy in the boom I bought 2 properties before the boom and worked hard to get them. I am a trades person nothing more than that. I would never put "suit professionals" on an add it is hard to know who is the best type of Tenant ? If you get RA people at least you are virtually guaranteed some of the money at some point. If Pat the self employed architect looses his job he might not get Dole or RA he may not have savings and he may have nowhere else to go but stay in your house rent free but he is a "professional". One of the best Tenants I ever had was an African refugee lady she was there for 5 or 6 years the SW paid the rent no problems I wish all were that easy but lots of people said no no don't do it.

It depends on your market i rent to Social welfare tenants for the reasons you mentioned. But the amount they can pay is capped. So people who bought more expensive places have to rent out to professionals as only they can afford the higher prices.

If you get RA people at least you are virtually guaranteed some of the money at some point.
    that's not true. read some of the threads on here. In the majority if cases, rent is paid by the State to the tenant, if the tenant decides to spend that money on stuff other than rent, the LL will not see it back. Note, this only happens in a minority of cases. Most RA tenants pay the rent over, but its just not true to say you have a safeguard with RA tenants.

that's not true. read some of the threads on here. In the majority if cases, rent is paid by the State to the tenant, if the tenant decides to spend that money on stuff other than rent, the LL will not see it back. Note, this only happens in a minority of cases. Most RA tenants pay the rent over, but its just not true to say you have a safeguard with RA tenants.

This was all changed I believe, RA to people who are on it constantly is paid directly to the LL now, its only people who are put on it in emergency circumstances that get it to their account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

My college friends and I had a meter while studying was in the property before we moved in must say it was great as we knew hw much cash we had for partying at the end of the week

Advertisement