If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New TV

Options
  • 18-01-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about getting a new TV for a garage conversion that wil soon start. Am looking at the Panasonic TXL42E6B and the SONY BRAVIA KDL42W654A (or 3a). Which would you recommend. Can I get a quote for both in Euro delivered to Dublin?

As for sound - which has the better sound as a standlone unit? Dont want to go for a 5:1 system as already have that in main TV room but may be persuded to go for a soundbar if the sound requires a boost.

Thanks,
    Lavelmar

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Lavelmar wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am thinking about getting a new TV for a garage conversion that wil soon start. Am looking at the Panasonic TXL42E6B and the SONY BRAVIA KDL42W654A (or 3a). Which would you recommend. Can I get a quote for both in Euro delivered to Dublin?

As for sound - which has the better sound as a standlone unit? Dont want to go for a 5:1 system as already have that in main TV room but may be persuded to go for a soundbar if the sound requires a boost.

Thanks,
    Lavelmar
    Hi Lavelmar,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Both very good screens.  I'd prefer the Panasonic myself.  Picture quality is out of this world, not the only one to think that either.  What HiFi gave the 32" version the best 32" TV under £400.  And rightly so.

The Sony 654 is now finished with ourselves.  We can still get the 653, the only real difference is that it has a black bezel.  Where the 654 had silver.

The price for both screens is as follows:

Panasonic TXL 42 E6 - £529.90 inc delivery and a 5 year warranty
    Sony KDL42W653 - £519.90 inc delivery and a 5 year warranty.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

:)
    Sorry to butt in on this but I thought Id give my experience of both tvs as I've seen both side by side.

Both tv's have their pros and cons tbh.

With regards picture quality the Panasonic had the sharper and more vibrant picture, the Sony's picture looked dull and lifeless in comparison and wasn't as sharp. Maybe I was doing something wrong but no matter what picture setting I tried I couldn't get the sony to match the Panasonic.

With regards motion I found the sony to be better. In my experience when watching football on the sony is much easier on the eye but these were store conditions so things could be different at home. Bear in mind though that both are only 50hz panels so some degree of blurring will be evident in both.

in the build quality department I found the sony to be better. It's bezel has a higher quality finish than that of the E6. If you look at two top corners of the E6's bezel you will see that the trim doesn't fit flush, this is slightly annoying and cheap looking but it's only a minor thing and on a whole the e6 is more stylish than the sony Imo.

If your a gamer the sony has a lot less lag compared to the panasonic, how noticeable that is I don't know though.

The sound quality I can't comment on but both have reportedly poor to average sound quality which is understandable given their slim profile.

if you intend to hang the tv on a wall the sony has it's hdmi ports at the side of the tv while the panasonics are at the rear. So while the sony is slightly more bulky it can be fitted closer to the wall compared to the Panasonic. In saying that the Panasonic does benefit from one extra hdmi port and an extra usb port although it doesn't support usb recording unlike the sony.

At the end of the day it's all down boils down preference. Both are decent tvs. For pure picture quality alone the Panasonic hands down. If your a gamer or if you watch a lot of sport the sony is the better bet Imo.

Hope this helps.
    Lavelmar wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks,
    Lavelmar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi guys.

I would agreed with Johnboy. The Panasonic picture is certainly brighter and more vibrant but the motion processing on the Sony is substantially better.

I would prefer a much smoother image than one that is particularly bright and vivid, but it's totally down to the individual.

My money would be on the Sony.

Hope that helps.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.