Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS 3 ERROR CODE 8002F1F0

Options
  • 18-01-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

tony300+
    can anyone help. my PS3 is stuck in a softwear update loop. error 8002f1f0.
    i can't access any other functions, start in safe mode etc....
    every time i turn it on it starts the update and stops at 70 or 71 %.
    i've tried pulling the HDD during instalation as suggested on other sites but no change.
    PLEEEEEESE HEELP :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

tony300+ wrote: »
    tony300+
    can anyone help. my PS3 is stuck in a softwear update loop. error 8002f1f0.
    i can't access any other functions, start in safe mode etc....
    every time i turn it on it starts the update and stops at 70 or 71 %.
    i've tried pulling the HDD during instalation as suggested on other sites but no change.
    PLEEEEEESE HEELP :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:confused:
    Never a good idea....

Does it automatically start the the update?
    Re-download the the update and use it - your update may be corrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tony300+

every time i turn it on it starts the download and stops at 70%.
    i cant get into the menu

:confused i guess there are no answers here either :(:(:(:(

:confused i guess there are no answers here either :(:(:(:(

In fairness, no one on boards.ie would've suggested "pulling out the HDD" mid-install.

Seriously, what were you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

There's two stages to an update, downloading the update and then instaling it.
    When your update fails, what stage is it at, downloading or installing?

It sounds to me like it could be a hardware issue - I can't find the exact code on any Sony code checkers or anything.
    Have you ever taken the ps3 apart or had a part replaced? During an install the system checks all drives, connections and so on. So, for instance, if you have a blueray drive that's not connected properly or a faulty bluetooth module that you haven't noticed then during the update a test is performed and if any peripheral fails, the update will fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Download the update onto a USB stick amd try the update that way.

Also never pull the hard drive out without the unit being powered off.

Ed

KeithTS wrote: »
    There's two stages to an update, downloading the update and then instaling it.
    When your update fails, what stage is it at, downloading or installing?

It sounds to me like it could be a hardware issue - I can't find the exact code on any Sony code checkers or anything.
    Have you ever taken the ps3 apart or had a part replaced? During an install the system checks all drives, connections and so on. So, for instance, if you have a blueray drive that's not connected properly or a faulty bluetooth module that you haven't noticed then during the update a test is performed and if any peripheral fails, the update will fail.
    it stops at 70% of the download error 8002F1F0

eddhorse wrote: »
    Download the update onto a USB stick amd try the update that way.

Also never pull the hard drive out without the unit being powered off.

Ed

yes have tried that also

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had this before, the OP is mistaken in saying it's stuck at the download when he was asked. The loop begins as soon as the PS3 is started before entering the XMB, It can't be interrupted and you can't enter the service mode to update from a new source (USB) rather than the corrupt original download.

The easiest way to sort it is to replace the HDD with a new one, this does not need to be permanent as the original HDD with the OP's files/saves can be put back in after the update is complete and the PS3 is working again. With a new HDD the PS3 will first want to format it and then install the system firmware which you will have on a USB stick, this breaks the loop and installed a working firmware. When the PS3 is working you can now put the old HDD back in.

Find the Cheapest HDD (make sure it's the right size to fit) you can or if you want a larger one get that and use it later after you've fixed the issue and backed up anything.

If you don't want to spend any money and are able you can just format your PS3 current HDD in a PC or HDD enclosure and then reuse it but this will wipe all saves and downloads on the HDD.

Varik wrote: »
    Had this before, the OP is mistaken in saying it's stuck at the download when he was asked. The loop begins as soon as the PS3 is started before entering the XMB, It can't be interrupted and you can't enter the service mode to update from a new source (USB) rather than the corrupt original download.

The easiest way to sort it is to replace the HDD with a new one, this does not need to be permanent as the original HDD with the OP's files/saves can be put back in after the update is complete and the PS3 is working again. With a new HDD the PS3 will first want to format it and then install the system firmware which you will have on a USB stick, this breaks the loop and installed a working firmware. When the PS3 is working you can now put the old HDD back in.

Find the Cheapest HDD (make sure it's the right size to fit) you can or if you want a larger one get that and use it later after you've fixed the issue and backed up anything.

If you don't want to spend any money and are able you can just format your PS3 current HDD in a PC or HDD enclosure and then reuse it but this will wipe all saves and downloads on the HDD.

thank you very much. the clearest explanation i have got so far. where is the cheapest place to buy a new HDD. thank you

• Advertisement

thank you very much. the clearest explanation i have got so far. where is the cheapest place to buy a new HDD. thank you

If you or someone you know has an old laptop lying around the HDD from that will likley work, but otherwise it depends on if you want use this new HDD in the future or just to sort this particular issue out.

What size is the HDD you have in the PS3 already?

If you or someone you know has an old laptop lying around the HDD from that will likley work, but otherwise it depends on if you want use this new HDD in the future or just to sort this particular issue out.

250 GB

I HAVE AN OLD ACER LAPTOP WITH A BROKEN SCREEN. WOULD I HAVE TO WIPE THE HDDON THAT BEFORE I PUT IT IN THE PS3

I HAVE AN OLD ACER LAPTOP WITH A BROKEN SCREEN. WOULD I HAVE TO WIPE THE HDDON THAT BEFORE I PUT IT IN THE PS3

No.

250 GB

It's fine and the PS3 will wipe the HDD itself, then when everything is working put the original HDD back in.

This assumes that the original HDD is working and pulling it out before didn't damage it or corrupt the data on it. Make sure everything is powered off when changing the HDD

It's fine and the PS3 will wipe the HDD itself, then when everything is working put the original HDD back in.

This assumes that the original HDD is working and pulling it out before didn't damage it or corrupt the data on it. Make sure everything is powered off when changing the HDD
    thanks varik.... you are very helpful......i'll let you know how i get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WINTZS

hi tony300+ can you tell me how you went on as i have the same problem .........???

cheers.

WINTZS wrote: »
    hi tony300+ can you tell me how you went on as i have the same problem .........???

cheers.

NO luck:mad:did manage to get it back to the start menu but it still stalls on update. I was then told if i could take out the battery from the mother board i would be able to reset it. i gave up at this stage and bought a new one.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I had a similar issue many years ago. The hard drive got corrupted due to the PS3 not being shut down properly. I had to take out the hard drive and format it. Ended up connecting the hard drive to my PC with some stuff I bought on eBay.

Don't ask me the specifics, it was about 7 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

WINTZS wrote: »

cheers.

Anytime I see someone bumping a thread & asking for help with the same problem, it always reminds me of this:

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Hi,
    what PS3 model do you have? That error is on 99% wifi or bluetooth problem.

Advertisement