Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phlebotomy - summer job for med student?

Options
  • 18-01-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

A few doctors have told me that they managed to get summer jobs in phlebotomy while in college. I've googled around but can't find anything on how one would find such a job.

Anyone have any experience/info on this? I imagine the recruitment freeze has changed the landscape, but thought I'd ask here before getting in touch with HR departments and possibly looking stupid. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭nomoreexams

I've been looking into it too. Seemingly the phlebotomy jobs in hospitals are rare. I got the bums rush when I rang asking. There's a small bit of agency work but it's usually midweek hours when I'd be in college :(

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

I asked some phlebotomy depts and dropped in CVs. It didn't sound promising initially and I never got a reply. People who leave aren't replaced. Hiring freeze in place. SJH instituted an online appointment system just before Christmas for phlebotomy where you previously could call in with GP referral. And I heard Blanchardstown last year had a 4-5 week waiting list for GP bloods as a phlebotomist left and wasn't replaced.

Advertisement