Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Aston Villa 17.30 hrs Sky Sports 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

it is not the natural reaction to drop to the ground when you're barely touched at pace. It's a new thing. proof:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Genuine question: Do any Liverpool fans actually think it was correctly awarded as a penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

yes. you cant come rushing out like that unless you're 100% bout getting the ball

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

maybe someone can post a still of where the contact was actually made - i cant work it out

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

it was a dive. simple as. happens quite a lot if people haven't noticed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

andyman wrote: »
    SuarezDive.gif

Look at Suarez's left leg. There is absolutely no reason for it just collapsing before placing it back on the ground.

It's not a penalty. He wouldn't go down if it was in his own half and it wouldn't be a foul, so why is it different in the penalty box?

And this "every player does it" thing that someone said is complete nonsense. If another player does it, it's a dive as well.

There's no doubt he's decided to fall rather than being brought down. But once Guzman comes out like that, he needs to win the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

hadepsx wrote: »
    yes. you cant come rushing out like that unless you're 100% bout getting the ball
    Do you have any idea how stupid that statement is?

explain then?

monkey9 wrote: »
    There's no doubt he's decided to fall rather than being brought down

That's entirely his decision to make, but if he's not brought down it's not a penalty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

This is making my eyes bleed

explain then?
    I'll leave you to ponder it.

quarryman wrote: »
    Genuine question: Do any Liverpool fans actually think it was correctly awarded as a penalty?

Suarez dived and it shouldn't be a penalty. Even if there's minimal contact it shouldn't be a penalty that still doesn't mean he's been fouled.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but the emphasis is on the keeper winning the ball once he's rushed out like that. Once he hasn't got anywhere near the ball, it's tough sh!t if the peno is awarded.

thought so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

rarnes1 wrote: »
    /unsubscribes

Who subscribes to match threads?

COYVB wrote: »
    it is not the natural reaction to drop to the ground when you're barely touched at pace. It's a new thing. proof:

The guy was incredible. Check out 3:30, the opposition literally give up trying to win the ball off him.

• Advertisement

thought so
    Ok, so the keeper should stay on his line? Not bother closing down the angle or even pressure the forward?
    He can always pull out like he did if he's not "100% sure" he's going to get it...

Suarez dived and it shouldn't be a penalty. Even if there's minimal contact it shouldn't be a penalty that still doesn't mean he's been fouled.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but the emphasis is on the keeper winning the ball once he's rushed out like that. Once he hasn't got anywhere near the ball, it's tough sh!t if the peno is awarded.

What's frustrating is that he has incredible balance when in possession. He's well able to stay up under a heavy challenge.

If there has to a debate about IF there was even contact then it wasn't enough to take him down.

That's entirely his decision to make, but if he's not brought down it's not a penalty

Listen, I completely understand as a Villa fan you'll be p!ssed off. But it's not like Suarez was running alongside a defender and then out nowhere, just jumps through the air.

The keeper rushes out like that and the player is going to fall. That's football now. So when he rushes out, he needs to win the ball.

I'm not being biased here by the way. King Kenny's first game back in charge of Liverpool was at Old Trafford in a cup match. Berbatov took a tumble from an Agger tackle. There was no contact or at most very minimal. Basically Berbatov dived, but I said the same back then. It was tough. Once Agger sticks his leg out, he better make sure he wins the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I thought it was a penalty myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Who subscribes to match threads?
    Probably their way of saying that they consider themselves above this debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

No way was it a pen, luis cheated no doubt but he did it well enough to fool the ref

What's frustrating is that he has incredible balance when in possession. He's well able to stay up under a heavy challenge.

If there has to a debate about IF there was even contact then it wasn't enough to take him down.

This is what wrecks my head. People search and rewind and slow things down looking for contact just so they can justify the penalty being awarded. This is what I'm saying about there being no difference between no contact and Guzman making contact. Suarez still hasn't been brought down, he's made the decision himself. Contact shouldn't always equate to a foul. This isn't basketball.

It's not that big a deal though, this happens all the time. It's because it's Suarez, people are going like greatest injustice of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Probably their way of saying that they consider themselves above this debate.

Yeah, I gathered that. I probably should have added a smiley to emphasise to joking manner the post was intended to be taken in.

(:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

reading here, before see the penalty on the nine o'clock news.
    was expecting to see a dodge call.
    The goalie come out sliding out, Suarez get to the ball first. Smart from Suarez and a penalty in any league in the world.
    Might not be stone wall but it still a penalty.
    if it was RVP, Torres or Young it would be an penalty and they be a little or no talk about it.
    But that life for Suarez and if a goalie pull a gun and shot suarez some people would say he dive. it fun to read the first 1000 time but after that it get old.
    A good result for Villa, well done to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I can see why the ref gave it. A Spanish penalty 2 weeks in a row for us, Rodgers outburst was well worth the fine!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I can see why the ref gave it. A Spanish penalty 2 weeks in a row for us, Rodgers outburst was well worth the fine!

Rodgers called it a Uruguayan penalty!!! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Well, there's one former Liverpool player who refuses to tow the party line.....

1525116_741599185852302_283271119_n.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's interesting to see the divide of opinion on the dive.
    I wonder does it go beyond team allegiance and become more about younger vs older fans.
    Younger fans are more accepting of diving or going down easy while older fans believe that contact is fine to a certain extent.

You hear the term "it's part of the game" so much but to me it's just not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Funny thing is that despite it being a dodgy call, liverpool got the penalty and scored. Game over. Yet most on here still aren't honest enough to admit it was the wrong decision.

Rose tinted glasses and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

If you listen closely, you can hear Suarez mutter "go back to america you bleedin foreigner" before taking a sly bite out of Guzan

#outrage #moralhighground

Was there contact? Yes
    Could he have stayed on his feet? Probably
    Is he the only one who does this? No

The problem with the faux-outrage towards Suarez is that sooner or later it will be on your own doorstep, just ask José

Young, Rooney, Cazorla, Ramires, Oscar,.................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well, there's one former Liverpool player who refuses to tow the party line.....

Hmmm maybe because he is Villa fan :pac::D;):eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

BMJD wrote: »
    If you listen closely, you can hear Suarez mutter "go back to america you bleedin foreigner" before taking a sly bite out of Guzan

#outrage #moralhighground

Was there contact? Yes
    Could he have stayed on his feet? Probably
    Is he the only one who does this? No

The problem with the faux-outrage towards Suarez is that sooner or later it will be on your own doorstep, just ask José

Young, Rooney, Cazorla, Ramires, Oscar,.................................

You're missing the important point here. Is the contact enough to bring him down?

No, it's not, therefore it's simulation.

And when those players listed above do it, it's simulation as well. So I really don't get what you're trying to say here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

[IMG][/img]https://fbcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1525116_741599185852302_283271119_n.png

Stan drumming up the attention for his radio show.
    JPA wrote: »
    It's interesting to see the divide of opinion on the dive.
    I wonder does it go beyond team allegiance and become more about younger vs older fans.
    Younger fans are more accepting of diving or going down easy while older fans believe that contact is fine to a certain extent.

You hear the term "it's part of the game" so much but to me it's just not.

Probably onto something. Some of the hand balls that are given annoy me far more, and yep, I've complained when Liverpool benefited from them too. I think it's far easier to get a penalty from a hand ball than it was 20 years ago.

Linieker and Shearer gave a good shout about it on MotD, what's Suarez supposed to do, dive to his left out of Guzmann's way?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Oh yeah, Liverpool legend there alright. You do know he played for Villa as well and us from the region? Not that anything Collymore says should be taken seriously anyway. The chap is a clown.

You're missing the important point here. Is the contact enough to bring him down?

And when those players listed above do it, it's simulation as well. So I really don't get what you're trying to say here..

Then Guzman should have won the ball, he knows what's going to happen if he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If that Wife beater thinks anyone with an ounce of sense will take any notice of his thoughts on abuse, then he's even more deluded then he comes across.

Then Guzman should have won the ball, he knows what's going to happen if he doesn't.

Of course, the standard "the keeper puts the ref in that position" bollocks to try and justify simulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just seen it, never a penalty. It was definite simulation. Fair play to Suarez though, he seen a chance and took it tbh. That point could be huge for 4th at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

SantryRed wrote: »
    Just seen it, never a penalty. It was definite simulation. Fair play to Suarez though, he seen a chance and took it tbh. That point could be huge for 4th at the end of the season.

The penalties he didn't get during the year will probably be more important in fairness.

• Advertisement

I'm not missing it at all. The fact is that contact + fall = penalty unless Guzan got the ball first, which he didn't. That's where the line has been drawn. How much contact do you want to have to make it a penalty? Grab the player's ankles? Break 'em?

was it morally wholesome? probably not but hey, that's life
    maybe that point will be the difference between fourth and fifth place, I doubt too many players of any team would turn it down

move on, questionable ìncindents happen in every match, every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Guzman plays for Swansea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think your missing BMJD's pont is that he is not saying was the penalty right or not but the that everyone is getting on there high horse about Suarez but it happens in every club he mention a number of players so will then those posters who get on there high horse about Suarez get give out the same when it is a player from there own team. Guarantee a lot would not.

Off course he went down easy and should not have been a penalty.

Edit I may have missed his point

Of course, the standard "the keeper puts the ref in that position" bollocks to try and justify simulation.

Just like the girl in the short skirt puts the rapist in a bad position

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The Surez penalty decision is going to mask the abysmal performance liverpool put in against Aston Villa.

Toure and Gerrard played a big part liverpool failing to secure 2 points. Cissokho played his part also. Never thought I'd say it but I cannot wait until Enrique is back fit.

We had no shape in the first half. How many times did Toure kick an aimless high ball forward? Completely at odds to the way we've been playing for the majority of this season.

That was 2 points dropped, make no mistake about it.

Leave Torres out of this, Vidic was asking for it

• Advertisement

'The standard' . Look, Suarez dived. But that's football. Fans need to accept that. Guzman didn't win the ball, the rest was inevitable. Everyone does it. The same as claiming a throw or corner when it's obvious it hit off your own player.

BMJD wrote: »
    I'm not missing it at all. The fact is that contact + fall = penalty unless Guzman got the ball first, which he didn't. That's where the line has been drawn. How much contact do you want to have to make it a penalty? Grab the player's ankles? Break 'em?

was it morally wholesome? probably not but hey, that's life
    maybe that point will be the difference between fourth and fifth place, I doubt too many players of any team would turn it down

move on, questionable ìncindents happen in every match, every week

I said earlier on that more physical contact occurs in all areas of the pitch and players are still able to stay upright. Why is this not the case in the penalty area?

Contact + fall does equal penalty. However a slight brush (which happen in all areas of the pitch in every game every weekend and aren't enough to bring players down bar the penalty area) and a dive does not equal a penalty.

It's wrong, it's simulation, it's deceiving the referee. End of.

matrim wrote: »
    Guzman plays for Swansea

What's his name?

Oh f*ck right off will ya!!

'The standard' . Look, Suarez dived. But that's football. Fans need to accept that. Guzman didn't win the ball, the rest was inevitable. Everyone does it. The same as claiming a throw or corner when it's obvious it hit off your own player.

"Everyone does it" doesn't make it acceptable.

It's Guzan, btw.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement