Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AirPort Extreme question

• 18-01-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Need to collect replacement Ipad tomorrow in apple store in Belfast, just wondering could someone advise me on following before I head up

I have AirPort Extreme but it's not covering the full house, is the airport express best thing to boost the over all coverage??? If so are they hard to set up with extreme ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Dan82 wrote: »
    Need to collect replacement Ipad tomorrow in apple store in Belfast, just wondering could someone advise me on following before I head up

I have AirPort Extreme but it's not covering the full house, is the airport express best thing to boost the over all coverage??? If so are they hard to set up with extreme ??

Thanks

Anyone have any ideas on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

i Think, they can expand the network,

Set up is easy and it appears on the airport utility as a device

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Ask the Apple staff when you're up there?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yes it's the best option as can extend the wifi via cable or wireless from the extreme, cable is always the best if possible.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Ask the Apple staff when you're up there?:confused:

If you've ever been In a apple store you'll know how busy it is and it's easier to know this things before you get there,
    You'll find that's what boards.ie is for

• Advertisement

jamesd wrote: »
    Yes it's the best option as can extend the wifi via cable or wireless from the extreme, cable is always the best if possible.

It'll suit me better over wireless, will I loose much by using it this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Very easy to set up,use the airport utility (think you've to download it on IOS) and it's simple as pie,Mine extends the network wirelessly.

When you first open the utility it detects the airport express and asks you which way you want to connect it (As it's own network,extend a network,join a network etc)

JBokeh wrote: »
    Very easy to set up,use the airport utility (think you've to download it on IOS) and it's simple as pie,Mine extends the network wirelessly.

When you first open the utility it detects the airport express and asks you which way you want to connect it (As it's own network,extend a network,join a network etc)

Do you find it good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

They work great plus you can plug a speaker into it for airplay.

jamesd wrote: »
    They work great plus you can plug a speaker into it for airplay.

Sounds good, make a big difference for the over all wifi in the house too,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Do you find it good?

So good I have 3 of them,2 for airplay,one for the printer. The main router in the house isn't an apple one,but they join the network grand,and the WIFI reception is good in all corners of the house.

I don't have the latest ones though,I've the older ones that look like a plug,rather than the standalone box ones that are currently available,but i'm guessing the procedure for setting them up is the same.

JBokeh wrote: »
    So good I have 3 of them,2 for airplay,one for the printer. The main router in the house isn't an apple one,but they join the network grand,and the WIFI reception is good in all corners of the house.

I don't have the latest ones though,I've the older ones that look like a plug,rather than the standalone box ones that are currently available,but i'm guessing the procedure for setting them up is the same.

All I want it for is to extend the range for wifi in the house at the moment, one room is very poor and if I want to work and be around the family in the evening it's important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, Airport Express is what you're after. New they're a fortune but plenty of second hand ones on eBay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you've ever been In a apple store you'll know how busy it is and it's easier to know this things before you get there,
    You'll find that's what boards.ie is for

I have been in 5 or 6 of them actually, and have never found them so busy in any that I can't get a question answered.

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, Airport Express is what you're after. New they're a fortune but plenty of second hand ones on eBay.

Just worry with second had stuff when it comes to tech, it's nearly worth the hit to get a new one and have warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Just worry with second had stuff when it comes to tech, it's nearly worth the hit to get a new one and have warranty

No moving parts in this kind of thing to break. I have two expresses and they've never even hinted at failing. The only Apple network tech that had multiple failures reported was the Time Capsule, and that was the spinning hard drive that failed.

Advertisement