Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use old router as a repeater or switch

Options
  • 18-01-2014 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I changed from digiweb to sky broadband this week and installed the Sky Hub modem/router. Surprisingly my broadband speeds seem to have improved dramatically but thats another story.

I live in a large house and wifi on the third floor isnt great so I would like to extend that using the old router. I have two spare.

1. An Eircom D1000
    2. A netgear DGN 2000

I would like to configure one of these to be a wifi repeater at the third floor.

I also have a network printer and pc at that level. Neither are wifi and use ethernet. I only have one network cable there so its a case of pulling cable out between them. Ideally I would also like to configure one of the old routers to be just a switch so both can plug into this along with an ethernet cable from another remote switch. Is this possible? Is it possible to configure one of the old routers to do both?

Advertisement