Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclist behaviour on country roads; reg numbers for sports bikes? Mod Note post #18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

mathepac wrote: »
    Let us not get confused between "minimum recommendations" and "legal requirements". I can choose to ignore a minimum recommendation and still overtake legally.
    I believe the lack of lights, safety equipment, reflectors and tyhe manner of cycling on that road at that time are important indicative of a state of mind clearly demonstrted in the thread. All of the lights, hi-viz vests, reflectors, helmets are recommended in the ROTR for cyclists and the manner of riding, single file, two-abreast needs to be adjusted to suit prevailing circumstances. Blocking traffic by deliberately cycling two-abreast where safety dictates otherwise is illegal, if that is what they were attempting to do (it seemed like it to me)

So again the unbiased opinion here is that if a motorist ignores a single recommendation, he is driving illegally, but if cyclists ignore a series of recommendations and break the law by apparently blocking the progress of traffic, that's OK because they are cyclists.

The balance and impartiality is great to see.
    Some are legal requirements, some are recommendations for cyclists from the RSA's ROTR. Ignoring recommendations made by the RSA for cyclist safety speaks volumes about the attitudes of riders when taking to the roads.

You are such a hypocrite. Above you say you can chose to ignore recommendations. Your following post slams a cyclist for doing the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Beasty wrote: »
    What we don't know is whether doubling up would allowed safe overtaking or encouraged risky overtaking - it depends entirely on the road conditions and cyclists will often "take the road" to discourage dangerous/illegal overtaking
    If they do they are committing an offence of obstructing traffic. Their only responsibility when being overtaken is to "keep left".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Some are legal requirements, some are recommendations for cyclists from the RSA's ROTR. Ignoring recommendations made by the RSA for cyclist safety speaks volumes about the attitudes of riders when taking to the roads.

you have no video have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The most important thing here is that no one is to learn anything, nor change their road behaviour for the better as a result of this, and I use the term loosely, discussion.

Raam wrote: »
    The most important thing here is that no one is to learn anything, nor change their road behaviour for the better as a result of this, and I use the term loosely, discussion.

no ilearned that when i am approaching cyclists I shouldnt blow my horn at them. engage them in discussion or leave my window down to let them hang on...except when I am getting somebody back into the group :) eh...sorry CI shouldnt have said that!

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    ... Instead you came right up behind them beeping, which would irritate/scare the majority of people.. ...
    Nope, there is nowhere where I described that scenario. You have a vivid imagination. Have you ever considered creative writing as a hobby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nope, there is nowhere where I described that scenario. You have a vivid imagination. Have you ever considered creative writing as a hobby?

in the absence of any video.. this did happen!

Although:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    The first rule of video club is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT VIDEO CLUB!

I followed this thread purely to see that video...

Don't tell me that there is no video club :mad:

:pac:

morana wrote: »
    no ilearned that when i am approaching cyclists I shouldnt blow my horn at them. engage them in discussion or leave my window down to let them hang on...except when I am getting somebody back into the group :) eh...sorry CI shouldnt have said that!

Don't forget to give em a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

gbob wrote: »
    As a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist, car diver and coach driver i'd like to believe I have a fair and balanced approach and the ability to see all sides of this debate. First point is that all road users are primarily responsible for their own safety, and it stands to reason that the most vulnerable must be the most cautious, cause they certainly have the most to lose. From the description given by the OP i'd suggest that certainly wasn't the case. Second point is this, yes the RTA permits cyclists to ride two abreast when safe to do so, cyclists will always scream that at you, but what they don't quote is the full sentence "except where to do so would impede following traffic".. so if you're going to quote rules and reg's, it's a good idea to know what they are.

And that 1.5 meter thing is not a law.

A good car driver can narrow that down to a foot, easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

tis video could be classified with the likes of leprechauns, fairies and banshee's, at the rate that this thread is going.

A good driver can narrow that down to a foot, easily.

Even better ones can skim your handle bars and not knock you off. God bless those skilled road warriors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I have no tolerence of road users whose actions endanger themselves or others.

In that case give yourself a good slap.

Then post your video up

The real skill is smacking the cyclist on the backside with your wing mirror without knocking them off, bonus points eh! :rolleyes:

Raam wrote: »
    Even better ones can skim your handle bars and not knock you off. God bless those skilled road warriors.

That's just a feeling, the brain misinterpreting information, they didn't really touch them. :pac:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The real skill is smacking the cyclist on the backside with your wing mirror without knocking them off, bonus points eh! :rolleyes:

Some numpty in the passenger seat clothes-lined me from behind once. I didn't come off and wasn't hurt but got quite a fright. I reckon he hurt his arm since he clocked it off my back and helmet. What a complete cvnt though. Neither he nor the driver gave a damn about what happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

Inquitus wrote: »
    indeed it is a good idea to know what they are

Fundamentally different to your quotation of same.

Wow, I stand corrected, that dont happen often :D

Actually, i'm glad you posted that, saves me making the same mistake again.

coolbeans wrote: »
    ... a horn is not to be used to make others get out of your way. You didn't use the horn, you misused it. Yeah, so there. More of it...
    Stupid made-up rubbish again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

I hope you are being sarcastic.

The gap isn't just to allow for driver error but also for unexpected obstacles which may force a cyclist to take evasive action.

Imagine a cyclist hitting a small unexpected pothole which may cause them to lose control a little and veer right a few feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

No video yet?
    Will check back in another 150 posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Maybe you cold give him some tips in creative writing :p

That's just a feeling, the brain misinterpreting information, they didn't really touch them. :pac:

Just like in this example eh? :D
    245da54.jpg

PLUG71 wrote: »
    Maybe you cold give him some tips in creative writing :p

Where do you think I got my inspiration from? ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88530471&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Yet the rules of the road say "Remember, the horn does not give you the right of way." yet you seem to believe by sounding it cyclists should yield to you?

Were you warning them of impending danger or was your presence going to cause them concern for their safety?

video or stfu this would have been over a long time ago if you would have just posted the video of what you are claiming to have happened, I cycle, I ride a Motorcycle and drive a people carrier so more or less ive been in both situations before the so called'' stupid'' cyclist or the impatient driver/biker and have been one time or the other been abused or have given out to fellow road users so better post the vid or quit replying to this thread co you will just get swamped here.:D

Maybe there is no video. Maybe it's a DVD? I hope it's not Blu-Ray cos I don't have a Blu-Ray player.

NBar wrote: »
    ... but the OP was rushing for a funeral, maybe he/she should have left on time and then wouldnt need to be frustrated by other road users. ...
    Another stupid made-up story. Where did I post that I was "rushing for a funeral". Please show me exactly as I can't remember posting it.

More dumb made-up stuff. Where did I indicate that I was late leaving for the funeral? Please show me exactly as I can't remember posting that either.

Is there any end to the nonsense posters invent? Where did I say I was frustrated by other road users? Please show me exactly as I can't remember posting that ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Like post #1 methinks....:rolleyes:

CPL 593H

Another stupid made-up story. Where did I post that I was "rushing for a funeral". Please show me exactly as I can't remember posting it.

More dumb made-up stuff. Where did I indicate that I was late leaving for the funeral? Please show me exactly as I can't remember posting that either.

Is there any end to the nonsense posters invent? Where did I say I was frustrated by other road users? Please show me exactly as I can't remember posting that ever.

Do you want to go for a pint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Where was the funeral mathepac?

Maybe there is no video. Maybe it's a DVD? I hope it's not Blu-Ray cos I don't have a Blu-Ray player.

maybe he/she is still editing the naked scenes:D:p out of it

so you are here for a fight...

:D Now this is funny!

zindicato wrote: »
    maybe he/she is still editing the naked scenes:D:p out of it

I hope not cos if it's anything like the "logic" that's on display here it's bound to be full of gaping holes and I'd hate to miss that!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Where was the funeral mathepac?

Probably at a church or other place of religious worship. Amen.

• Advertisement

Probably at a church or other place of religious worship. Amen.

At least the holy man is showing plenty of grace and love towards other road users. Oh, wait...

0.jpg pics of the culprits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

Presumably op you took the reg no of the car in front of you that did the dangerous overtake and in your own words was fortunate enough to get away with it? I mean seeing as you're in favour of registering bikes for the purpose of id'ing the rider to report dangerous or illegal behaviour you obviously did, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Simple question matthepac - if they had been cycling single file, would you have been able to overtake them without crossing the solid white line, while still allowing them enough space to be able to swerve around a pothole or storm drain, or to be swerved by a crosswind as they pass a gateway or large gap in the hedge?

I said....

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    I hope you are being sarcastic.

The gap isn't just to allow for driver error but also for unexpected obstacles which may force a cyclist to take evasive action.

Imagine a cyclist hitting a small unexpected pothole which may cause them to lose control a little and veer right a few feet

I'm being semi serious. I did say a "good" driver.

A driver that looks beyond the obvious. Surveys the road ahead. Way beyond anything in front of the car. Looks out for anything that might cause others to have to make adjustments, that could have a knock on effect.

Judging by my time driving in Ireland, there aren't that many. Don't get me started on wing mirror placement! :D

But I think it is a bit rich quoting what is legal and what isn't from a cyclist's point of view, when it suits. And I'm on a bike 90% of the time these days. At times I have even had to wave drivers past me wondering why they couldn't tell the width of their car or the road.

Right, got that off me chest. more beer for me!

People just really need to get a long.

And why there aren't pile ups on a daily basis on the M50 is still a mystery to me.

A driver that looks beyond the obvious. Surveys the road ahead. Way beyond anything in front of the car. Looks out for anything that might cause others to have to make adjustments, that could have a knock on effect.

Judging by my time driving in Ireland, there aren't that many. Don't get me started on wing mirror placement! :D

But I think it is a bit rich quoting what is legal and what isn't from a cyclist's point of view, when it suits. And I'm on a bike 90% of the time these days. At times I have even had to wave drivers past me wondering why they couldn't tell the width of their car or the road.

Right, got that off me chest. more beer for me!

People just really need to get a long.

And why there aren't pile ups on a daily basis on the M50 is still a mystery to me.

A foot is way, way too close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Sod it I've finished my popcorn and the fillum ain't even started yet....

tumblr_lzycauIyHw1rnseozo1_400.jpg

CPL 593H

bigfoot%2Bbmx.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

If someone done that to me I'd pull over and ring the cops. Why didn't you report them there and then? They may have been able to send a patrol car. Seems to be a bit of d'esprit d'escalier about your post.

I've been to many a funeral, never felt wanting to have a video record the progress of the cottage our my journey to it.

furiousox wrote: »
    tumblr_lzycauIyHw1rnseozo1_400.jpg

With a great moustache comes great responsibility. To incite hatred apparently.

A Good driver would never pass anything with a foot to spare.

TonyStark wrote: »
    If someone done that to me I'd pull over and ring the cops. Why didn't you report them there and then? They may have been able to send a patrol car. Seems to be a bit of d'esprit d'escalier about your post.

I've been to many a funeral, never felt wanting to have a video record the progress of the cottage our my journey to it.
    The op engaged the cyclists first!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Are you saying you did make the story up?
    It's a comment on the value I place on the opinions of some posters.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement