Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Relegation Thread - Multiple choice poll

• 18-01-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

We had a similar thread last year that was quite good so I thought I'd set this one up.

Over halfway through the season and the battle at the bottom looks to be one of the closest in recent memory. West Ham, Sunderland and Cardiff in 18th, 19th and 20th respectively are all level on 18 points and only 5 points separate those teams from Hull in 10th position.

321830ff05f7ebc16a6cedbc5b7eb5ed.png

Can't seem to include a poll as I pressed submit without including it, but maybe a mod could include one entitled ''who do you think will be relegated?'' including teams from Hull down to Cardiff please.

Who will be relegated this year? 469 votes

Hull
    0%
    Villa
    1%
    flaziokryogenYugiohInsane RamblingConstantJoeILikeBananasLiamalone 7 votes
    Norwich
    1%
    nlgbbbblthkryogenFrankie LeesrocliffeHibbelerLiamaloneWrongway1985hurlingman97 8 votes
    Stoke
    15%
    gandalfStargateparasitegimmickKingp35Sooner or LatermikeymMickeroobad2dabonegustafoctrl-alt-deletelassykkfred funk }{DuiskeFuzzy_Dunlopracso1975SilverFox261Paddy@CIRLdobsdaveBertser 75 votes
    Swansea
    1%
    parasitenlgbbbblthrazorbluntNotorietyHflaziokryogenConstantJoeLiamaloneBrendan Filone 9 votes
    WBA
    0%
    kryogenMR NINELiamaloneAlfred Borden 4 votes
    Palace
    6%
    Doodeefred funk }{jonnyfingerstoxicity234kryogenSantryRedWoollyRedHateagle eyeadamski8LojakCOYWv3ttelcounterlockDarkglassestheoneeyedmandjPSBben.schlomoastonaidanD_turbobrianregan09 31 votes
    Fulham
    11%
    Bounty HunterSkySterlooderstesaurusaidan24326tom_kRed CrowadaminhokryogenAmiraniMoneymakerlistermintjustshanekwestfan08Deeper BlueYugiohadamski8CR 7Morzadecx43r0 53 votes
    West Ham
    33%
    gandalfDoodeeSkyStermike65StargatelordgoatKingp35Sooner or LaterMr.Nice GuyMickeroobad2dabonegustafoTheDocctrl-alt-deletelassykklooderfred funk }{Rikandjonnyfingerstoxicity234 156 votes
    Sunderland
    10%
    parasitegimmickstesaurusRVD420dfx-Red CrowJohnerikeKristopherusflaziokryogenAmiraniLaois_ManGreen GiantKirbyHank ScorpioDeeper Bluemiralizeeverdead.iePierce_1991 51 votes
    Cardiff
    15%
    Bounty Huntermike65lordgoatnlgbbbblthmikeymMr.Nice GuygustafoTheDocRikandracso1975MushyPaddy@CIRLdobsdaveRVD420dfx-Red CrowkevpantsK-9NotorietyHkryogen 75 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cardiff
    Paully D wrote: »
    We had a similar thread last year that was quite good so I thought I'd set this one up.

Over halfway through the season and the battle at the bottom looks to be one of the closest in recent memory. West Ham, Sunderland and Cardiff in 18th, 19th and 20th respectively are all level on 18 points and only 5 points separate those teams from Hull in 10th position.

321830ff05f7ebc16a6cedbc5b7eb5ed.png

Can't seem to include a poll as I pressed submit without including it, but maybe a mod could include one entitled ''who do you think will be relegated?'' including teams from Hull down to Cardiff please.

On it.....

Cardiff
    Poll is multiple choice to by the way.....

Cardiff
    I reckon it will be Fulham, Cardiff & Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

West Ham
    I think Sunderland will claw their way safety. Went with Cardiff, Palace and Fulham in the poll. Wouldn't be sad to see either Fulham or Stoke to down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sunderland
    West Ham, Fulham and Cardiff. Pulis will keep Palace up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cardiff
    Cheers for including the poll, Gav.

It's probably a bit too early to predict with any certainty due to the January transfer window, but as things stand:

Unfortunately I'm going to have to predict that Sunderland will go. We've had chance after chance this season to put wins on the board and get out of the relegation zone. Despite having a good run of home games we can't seem to beat teams around us for the most part. Our away games are absolutely horrendous too from February onwards. Poyet will give us a shout and he's doing as best as he can with the hand he has been dealt, but ultimately we have no goalscorer up front and no creativity in midfield (aside from a three game ongoing run from Johnson). I think we will have to win 6 or 7 games out of 16 between now and the end of the season which just isn't going to happen.

I think Palace will also drop. Pulis has done a heck of a job there so far but I expect them to just fall short. They have a very small squad and a very tough fixture list to come. Like Poyet, Pulis is doing really well with the hand he has been dealt but I don't think it will be enough.

I find it tough to predict the third team.

Cardiff have a great run of fixtures, 7 at home to teams in the bottom half, so they might just do enough to escape. Swansea are similar to Cardiff in that respect. I feel West Ham will be just about okay once they get their first choice defenders back and Carroll gets to full fitness. Their whole game is built around a solid defence and Carroll up front so it has obviously been tough for them without both of those. I feel Villa, Norwich and Stoke will do enough to keep their heads above water and escape getting really dragged in.

That leaves me to pick the team that seem to have a combination of low confidence and somewhat tricky fixtures - Fulham. They're leaking goals like a sieve, their main goalscorer wants out and it's always a dangerous game relying on the likes of Taarabt to do something when the going gets tough.

Sunderland, Palace and Fulham for me unless something drastic happens in this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Cardiff
    Paully D wrote: »
    Sunderland, Palace and Fulham for me unless something drastic happens in this window.

Exactly my choices too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cardiff
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I reckon it will be Fulham, Cardiff & Sunderland.

Ditto. Sunderland are showing some vigor but the match schedule is against them for my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

West Ham will be in trouble if they sack Sam.
    He's not great but he's been around long enough to know what to do. Another manager coming into a big Sam squad would struggle.

West Ham
    No Liverpool option in poll.

• Advertisement

Cardiff
    SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    No Liverpool option in poll.

Not needed now with Sturridges goal. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sunderland
    Fulham, Cardiff and West Ham I reckon, think Sunderland will just about stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Cardiff
    JPA wrote: »
    West Ham will be in trouble if they sack Sam.
    He's not great but he's been around long enough to know what to do. Another manager coming into a big Sam squad would struggle.

Oh God they've brainwashed you

West Ham
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Not needed now with Sturridges goal. :p

The jinx worked!

Oh God they've brainwashed you

Who has? Their squad is poor but it's his squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Cardiff
    JPA wrote: »
    Who has? Their squad is poor but it's his squad.

Ah I thought you were one of these types who thinks Allardici is a great manager who can't be relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Sunderland
    I picked West Ham, Cardiff and Palace.

With honourable mentions for Sunderland and especially Fulham, which looking at the poll, seems to be the thinking of the majority.

Really, I suppose you could pick any 3 from those 5 and not be a mile off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Swansea could be the dark horses to go down.

They could get sucked in yet. On very poor run of form.

Over last 6 games they would be bottom on 2 points and even last 12 they be 17th on 10 points.

I think its long shot, but they need to get on run of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

West Ham
    Fulham and Cardiff are definites for me. i would have said sunderland but they are making the stadium of light a hard place to go now so think they might just scrape it. Think the third might be Stoke or swansea.
    Edit: West brom will be the third actually, too late to change it on the poll.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Michu is due back in February, will be a big boost for Swansea

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Cardiff
    Michu is due back in February, will be a big boost for Swansea

They also play most of the bottom 6 at home, and they have a very good record in those type of games. I think they'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

West Ham
    I don't think there are any real strong candidates for relegation this season. You can give good reasons why anyone near the bottom may stay up.

Poyet has got Sunderland playing really well as has Pullis at Palace. Cardiff have looked a really good side at times and Solskjar has the makings of a good manager. There are signs that Fulham are improving under Meulensteen. West Ham will come good once Carroll gets back to his best and they get a couple of defenders back playing. Hull look solid and with the 2 additions up front they can score the goals to keep them up. So I really can't pick 3 at the moment. Ask me again at the end of March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Palace
    WBA, Cardiff and......

I don't think this new WBA manager will be a success.

Sunderland
    Good results for Swansea and Palace tonight. Fulham look in real trouble.

Pulis is god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Sunderland
    Said at start of season Hull, C Palace and Stoke

Now going with West Ham, Fulham and Cardiff

Which means it will probably be 3 other teams who drop :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Sunderland
    Cardiff, Fulham & West Ham for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cardiff
    Cardiff, Fulham and a toss up between palace, Sunderland and WBA.

I reckon Cardiff just don't have enough quality in the attacking third to score enough to stay up. Unless something happens before the window closes but I can't think of many decent players that will join them in the position thy're in.

Fulham are similar unless Berbatov starts playing well again. Maybe Dempsey can make a difference during his loan but he hasn't done much so far. They just seem to lack fight when they go a goal or 2 down from the games I've seen them play over the last couple of months.

Pulis is doing an excellent job since he's arrived to Palace, seems to be an excellent man manager. He's got them playing well but its hard to know how long they can maintain it. They could easily fade away.

Hard to know if getting to the league cup final will help or hinder Sunderland. A hammering to City in the final could really affect confidence. Hard to know a players mindset with a final coming up i.e. afraid of getting injured. They're signings so far this window are unproven in the premiership which isn't what they need in they're situation IMO. They need to string a couple of good results together soon.

I personally think WBA made a mistake getting rid of Clarke and Long. This Anelka business isn't helping either. Hard to know what the new manger will be like, he seems highly regarded in Spain but I think he may have come in too late. Its strange they insisted the remaining staff stayed in place and he wasn't allowed bring in a couple of his own staff.

If I had to call it now...WBA to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

West Ham
    WBA, Fulham & Palace for me.

Cardiff
    Big wins for Sunderland and Crystal Palace this gameweek while a point away to Chelsea will feel like a win for West Ham.

68c014c7f171453b93604bb796cc1970.png

• Advertisement

Cardiff
    Todays results have certainly shook things up.

Big wins for Sunderland (:D), Cardiff, West Ham and Stoke and a nice point for Hull at home to Spurs. Fulham, Swansea and Norwich the main losers of the day.

Palace go away to Arsenal tomorrow while West Brom host Liverpool.

445c6c207e6db3226d53a825be76f92e.png

Sunderland
    Johner wrote: »
    Good results for Swansea and Palace tonight. Fulham look in real trouble.

Pulis is god.

I repeat, Pulis is god.

Goal and assist from Tom Ince.

Cardiff
    Looks like Sunderland have blown all their good work from the last few weeks with a self-implosion today against Hull.

Wes Brown sent off after 3 minutes and Hull score from a set piece.

With games away to City, Arsenal and Liverpool in a row to come and no winnable game until mid-March, it won't be long before we're back in the relegation zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Sunderland
    Fulham, West ham and West brom

Cardiff
    A month on from the last update, the table now looks like the below:

94737f3484ed6dec6dde4964d98af070.png

Cardiff beat Fulham 3-1 today which means Fulham are now looking in serious, serious trouble. With that goal difference they are effectively 5 points from safety and have played a game more than the 17th placed side who have a game in hand to play.

From a Sunderland point of view - we have two games in hand on a number of teams and three in hand on Cardiff and Fulham, but considering two of those games are away to City and Liverpool they won't make any difference. Home games against West Brom and Palace over the next few weeks are vital to our chances. 4 points at the very least are needed but most likely it will have to be 6. I'm not confident.

Honestly, it's still too difficult to predict. Great viewing for the neutral I'm sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

West Ham
    Fulham are pretty much gone at this stage, they were desperate today. Cardiff not much better, and I think will join them. After that, I'm not sure. I went for Norwich in the poll, but the results have dried up for Palace, WBA are playing relegation football, and Sunderland have a number of tricky games left

Cardiff
    Norwich could go the rest of the season without a win, or they could pull themselves out of it by virtue of having a handful of games against teams around them. Palace aren't out of it yet, and despite putting some decent form together for a while, they could well be dragged back in very quickly if Sunderland can get anything out of their games in hand.

Right now, it'd be Fulham, Cardiff and one from Norwich, Palace and Sunderland for me. No clue which of those 3 it could be though.

6 points for any of the teams from Hull up would probably be enough to keep them out of it on the last day, but I still think Swansea MIGHT end up being a surprise candidate for the drop going into the last couple of games

Sunderland
    Johner wrote: »
    West Ham, Fulham and Cardiff. Pulis will keep Palace up.

2 looking likely but I got West Ham badly wrong. :o

Cardiff
    Palace's fixtures are very, very tough. Four home games left and three of them are against Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea.

I said at the start of this thread that they would get dragged back in because of their fixtures at the end of the season and I think that may still be the case.

Fulham, Palace and Sunderland were my three choices back in January and I'll stick with that, but Sunderland have it in their hands to get out of it really. Home games against Palace, West Brom, Cardiff, West Ham and Swansea and an away game against Norwich. The fixtures don't come much better than that although the home games are vital as apart from Norwich we have virtually no hope of winning away again this season, but a team who have won about 3 league games at home all year aren't likely to suddenly win 4 or 5 in a row so that's why I think we're gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Cardiff
    Sunderland and WBAs favorable goal difference compared to the teams around them might just be their saving grace however.

Palace and Fulham are gone for me. Cardiff most likely to join them.

• Advertisement

Cardiff
    2014%2F3%2FPL-bottom-7.jpg

Swansea could well only get a point or 2 from their remaining games. If they don't beat Norwich they could be in serious trouble

West Ham
    COYVB wrote: »
    2014%2F3%2FPL-bottom-7.jpg

Swansea could well only get a point or 2 from their remaining games. If they don't beat Norwich they could be in serious trouble

Swansea and Sunderland have the worst run ins there, would need to put points on the board quickly or they are goners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

West Ham
    Can't believe Norwich only got 20 so far. They are fooked! That run in is a killer.

Norwich
    Fulham
    Cardiff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Cardiff
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Swansea and Sunderland have the worst run ins there, would need to put points on the board quickly or they are goners.

I'd say Norwich and Palace have just a tough. Norwich need to get 8-10 points in there next 4 games as they won't get anything from they're final 4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

West Ham
    They all have tough run ins. I'll go with Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

West Ham
    I backed Norwich in the poll, but I don't buy into the notion that they'll take no points from their final 4 games. A trip to Old Trafford is obviously not as daunting as it was, and there's the possibility that Arsenal will have nothing to play for in the league on the last day and a looming FA cup final. Can't see them taking anything from Chelsea or Liverpool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

West Ham
    Norwich, Fulham and WBA.

West Ham
    yup sorry didnt look properly at norwich's they are in big trouble

Cardiff
    Massive win for Palace today at home to Chelsea. West Brom and Cardiff seemed crazy, West Brom went 2-0 up, Cardiff pulled it back to 2-2, West Brom scored a 90th minute winner (or so they thought!) but Cardiff hit back straight away for a 3-3 draw.

West Ham
    Down to 5 i think. Fulham,West Brom,Cardiff,Sunderland and Norwich. Gonna be some run in

• Advertisement
Advertisement