Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Relegation Thread - Multiple choice poll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

West Ham
    Watched Fulham v Everton today and Fulham are doomed and I think they are planning for next season in the Championship already judging by the amount of young players that played. Some tidy young players on display too. The first goal they conceded was the hallmark of a team destined for relegation. The shot on goal was going wide, only for the goalkeeper, who played well, to deflect it into the goal.

Cardiff are doomed too and I think they will end up bottom of the league and I think West Brom will take the final place in that battle. TP has enough nous to steer Palace to safety. He did it with Stoke for years and he will continue to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cardiff
    Some interesting fixtures between now and the end of the season, starting from bottom up (I think everyone else is more or less safe):

Fulham - Villa (A), Norwich (H), Hull (H), Stoke (A), Palace (H)

Sunderland - West Ham (H), West Brom (H), Cardiff (H), Swansea (H)

Cardiff - Palace (H), Stoke (H), Sunderland (A)

West Brom - Norwich (A), West Ham (H), Sunderland (A), Stoke (H)

Palace - Cardiff (A), Villa (H), West Ham (A), Fulham (A)

Norwich - West Brom (H), Fulham (A)

Fulham have the highest amount of what I would deem to be winnable games with 5. Sunderland, Palace and West Brom have 4. Cardiff have 3 and Norwich 2. That said, after Palace's win at home against Chelsea yesterday who knows what will happen?

As a Sunderland fan I'm always surprised when people say they think we will escape. Horrendous away fixtures and we can't break down the so-called weaker sides at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

West Ham
    Paully D wrote: »
    Some interesting fixtures between now and the end of the season, starting from bottom up (I think everyone else is more or less safe):

Fulham - Villa (A), Norwich (H), Hull (H), Stoke (A), Palace (H)

Sunderland - West Ham (H), West Brom (H), Cardiff (H), Swansea (H)

Cardiff - Palace (H), Stoke (H), Sunderland (A)

West Brom - Norwich (A), West Ham (H), Sunderland (A), Stoke (H)

Palace - Cardiff (A), Villa (H), West Ham (A), Fulham (A)

Norwich - West Brom (H), Fulham (A)

Fulham have the highest amount of what I would deem to be winnable games with 5. Sunderland, Palace and West Brom have 4. Cardiff have 3 and Norwich 2. That said, after Palace's win at home against Chelsea yesterday who knows what will happen?

As a Sunderland fan I'm always surprised when people say they think we will escape. Horrendous away fixtures and we can't break down the so-called weaker sides at home.

Think it is win or bust tonight Paully.

Can see the West Brom and Swansea games coming at a time when Sunderland could well be gone.

Cardiff
    I think today was the day where you call peg the relegation fight down to whether Fulham or Norwich will be the final team to stay up.

fa5284f0bae49a4468d3ae5dd7971e3c.png

Norwich and Fulham play at Craven Cottage next week but after that Norwich play Liverpool (H), Man United (A), Chelsea (A) and Arsenal (H), so if Fulham avoid defeat there they might feel like they can do it with games against Spurs (A), Hull (H), Stoke (A) and Palace (H) to come.

Cardiff and Sunderland are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

West Ham
    Delighted for palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cardiff
    Cardiff should of never sacked Malky. Ole just aint good enough to keep the up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

West Ham
    Cardiff are the only team definitely gone and cant say i feel any sympathy for them. Terribly run club with that joke of an owner. Watch them drop off altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

ricero wrote: »
    Cardiff should of never sacked Malky. Ole just aint good enough to keep the up

The owner has a lot to answer for & they didn't do too well in the transfer market despite spending a nice bit. But I agree that Mackay would of done better than Ole.
    Norwich are going aswell imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Cardiff
    Big wins for Fulham, Palace and Cardiff today.

Elsewhere West Brom choked against Spurs to draw 3-3 at home after being three nil up within the opening 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

West Ham
    I had backed Sunderland to stay up but they look doomed at this stage.

Norwich, who play four of the current top 7 in their remaining games, are staring into the abyss if either Fulham or Cardiff can pick up three points from their remaining fixtures.

92efa4ac7a3f7a872c6b086363dc7cc9.png

Sunderland: Man City (A), Chelsea (A), Cardiff (H), Man Utd (A), West Brom (H), Swansea (H)

Cardiff: Stoke (H), Sunderland (A), Newcastle (A), Chelsea (H)

Fulham: Spurs (A), Hull (H), Stoke (A), Palace (H)

Norwich: Liverpool (H), Man Utd (A), Chelsea (H), Arsenal (A)

West Brom: Man City (A), West Ham (H), Arsenal (A), Sunderland (A), Stoke (H)

Swansea: Chelsea (H), Newcastle (A), Villa (H), Southampton (H), Sunderland (A)

Aston Villa: Southampton (H), Swansea (A), Hull (H), Man City (A), Spurs (A)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Sunderland
    Cardiff, Norwich and Sunderland are going down, Fulham will stay up IMO

Cardiff
    Sunderland are gone and have been for some time. The 7/4 I got four weeks ago on us to go down will pay for my summer holiday at least.

I think one of Fulham or Cardiff will get out of it at the expense of Norwich now.

Cardiff
    Worth a bump ahead of this weekends coming games.

Probably the biggest weekend of the season for those teams down there.

Hull, Villa and West Ham's fixtures might have fans of those sides a bit anxious if they fail to get something this weekend. While Fulham, Sunderland and Cardiff will all be thinking they boost their survival bids with wins.
    ad2feb3f316becbd0aa3db388b6c14d4.png

Fulham v Hull
    West Brom v West Ham
    Swansea v Aston Villa
    Man United v Norwich
    Sunderland v Cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

West Ham
    Worth a bump ahead of this weekends coming games.

Probably the biggest weekend of the season for those teams down there.

That Sunderland v Cardiff game is huge. Loser will probably go down. The winner will also push Norwich into the bottom 3 and thats where they will stay. Can't see them picking up another point this season. Hope you ain't started packing for that holiday yet Paully, have a feeling Sunderland will cling on again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Cardiff
    Duiske wrote: »
    That Sunderland v Cardiff game is huge. Loser will probably go down. The winner will also push Norwich into the bottom 3 and thats where they will stay. Can't see them picking up another point this season. Hope you ain't started packing for that holiday yet Paully, have a feeling Sunderland will cling on again this year.

That's why it's going to be televised.

Cardiff

I hope the suitcase remains covered in dust for the summer mate :pac:

I'm not too confident though in all honesty, we've won 3 games at home all year and now could well need to win three in a row. Those type of changes in form just generally don't happen for teams like us 34 weeks into the season.

I'm praying for Hull, West Ham and Man United to do us favours this weekend and for us to do the business on Sunday. Then it's game on. But if we fail to win this weekend and Fulham take 3 points then I'll start to put the underpants and socks in the suitcase. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The momentum is with Sunderland, 2 massive results no one saw coming.
    I reckon they can get out of it and they have shown in stages of the season they have a bit of bottle.

Rooting for Sunderland anyway

West Ham
    Hoping Sunderland and Fulham stay and think they will, both have have decent form and run ins.

Cardiff
    Fulham throw away a 2 goal lead at home to Hull to draw 2-2. Big win for West Brom, 1-0 at home to West Ham. Swansea beat Villa 4-1, are Villa fans getting a bit twitchy?

Sunderland v Cardiff tomorrow is absolutely huge.

0ecc4ea7603261d02a87ebb0443cb71a.png

• Advertisement

West Ham
    Fulham throw away a 2 goal lead at home to Hull to draw 2-2. Big win for West Brom, 1-0 at home to West Ham. Swansea beat Villa 4-1, are Villa fans getting a bit twitchy?

Sunderland v Cardiff tomorrow is absolutely huge.

0ecc4ea7603261d02a87ebb0443cb71a.png

Winner tomorrow stays up, loser is relegated imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Cardiff
    are Villa fans getting a bit twitchy?

A bit twitchy!? I haven't taken a solid **** in about a month!

Have you seen our form?

Cardiff
    kevpants wrote: »
    A bit twitchy!? I haven't taken a solid **** in about a month!

Have you seen our form?

I think you'll take something from your home game against Hull and be fine. They're safe now and will be concentrating on the cup final. If not, it could get very nervy though with Spurs (A) and City (A) to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

West Ham
    Fulham will be kicking themselves today. They had a huge chance to make it 3-1, and after that it was almost inevitable that Hull would equalise. I think that result may just condemn them to the drop

Cardiff
    Well then, that weekend threw a spanner in the works! Sunderland out of the bottom three for the first time since the beginning of February.

Big games again this weekend. In all honesty I wouldn't be at all surprised if all the sides down there failed to win this weekend. If a team can pick up a win it would be likely to help them out immensely.

West Brom are safe anyway, Villa with their goal difference is like an extra point so unlikely to be caught too even if they don't get another point. It's really down to Sunderland, Fulham and Norwich with two from the three dropping and one surviving.

I think Fulham take 4 points from their remaining games, Norwich very possibly 3 from Arsenal on the last day if they have 4th wrapped up and use their squad ahead of the cup final. Those results would leave Sunderland needing one win from their two home games to seal the great escape and become only the 2nd side in Premier League history to survive after being bottom at Christmas, but if Fulham get two wins they'd probably stay up as Sunderland won't win three home games in a row.

Jesus, the neutrals must be loving this but it has taken 5 years off my life!
    20782de0fc970c2c9a53073e5d9eae2d.png

Stoke v Fulham
    Chelsea v Norwich
    Manchester United v Sunderland
    Aston Villa v Hull
    Newcastle v Cardiff
    Arsenal v West Brom

Final games after this week:

Sunderland - West Brom (H), Swansea (H)
    Villa - City (A), Spurs (A)
    West Brom - Sunderland (A), Stoke (H)
    Fulham - Palace (H)
    Norwich - Arsenal (H)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sunderland
    Whatever happened to the "40 point" safety zone? It's a hell of a lot less than that now.

Cardiff
    Whatever happened to the "40 point" safety zone? It's a hell of a lot less than that now.

Aye, 40 is rarely needed. The last 10 years for example:

37, 37, 40, 36, 35, 36, 38, 35, 34 and 34 points needed to stay up. This year will probably be 36 or 37 again.

40 is more of a marker that teams aim for as they will definitely be safe if they get to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Fantastic entertainment at the bottom this year. Just when you think a team is done they go on a bit of a run and it all shuffles around.

Cardiff look doomed but then they have the most winnable game next week of the bottom 4 and could conceivably be out of the drop zone going into the last week which will only add to the drama.

The way things look now though I think the bottom 3 will stay the same at the end of the season. Outside chance that the Villa freefall will continue and Fulham might sneak out but gd could be the decider there.

I wonder has there been a season where the championship and a relegation spot has been decided on gd in the same season?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

37, 37, 40, 36, 35, 36, 38, 35, 34 and 34 points needed to stay up. This year will probably be 36 or 37 again.

40 is more of a marker that teams aim for as they will definitely be safe if they get to it.
    Tell that to our fans after we went down in 2003 with 42 :( We would have needed 45 points to stay up that year.
    I think the points needed to stay up is decreasing because the gap between the top 4-6 and the chasing pack (especially those in the bottom quarter) has grown massively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is the bottom 10 getting worse in terms of points or is it continually averaging the same?
    It just seems the gap is widening or maybe it's my perception.

• Advertisement

Cardiff
    JPA wrote: »
    Is the bottom 10 getting worse in terms of points or is it continually averaging the same?
    It just seems the gap is widening or maybe it's my perception.

I had a look at the average points for the teams from 10th-20th over the last 12 years:

41.6, 39.5, 41.3, 41, 37.6, 39.2, 37.6, 42.5, 40, 39, 36, 38.7 & 39 (my own projection for this season)

So while I would agree with you in that I thought the gap is widening, it's really actually staying the same in the bottom half almost every season.

I also thought that with teams such as Southampton and Swansea coming up that have tried to establish themselves, are spending money and adding a lot of quality to the league that it would have become a much tougher league overall. However, figures suggest the points needed to stay up have actually gotten lower over the last three seasons (as I showed in my post earlier today on the previous page) and as mentioned above the bottom 10 points totals on average are quite similar too. Though if my projection of 39 for this season is correct or indeed higher, perhaps we're on the way to hitting a 40 point average for the bottom ten again for the first time since 2009-2010.

At present, there's about a 2 point difference between the average points totals of the bottom ten teams these days and compared to ten years ago.

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sunderland
    If you do the results predictor for the last games, it looks like Cardiff, Norwich and Fulham are doomed

Can't see any big surprises. Wins for Fulham away to Stoke and Cardiff away to Newcastle today might change things a bit - but I doubt that'll happen and I'd still predict them both to go down even if either or both did happen.

http://www.the-mustard.com/predictor.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Cardiff
    If you can't beat worst form in the league Newcastle or lose by multiple goals to nothing to play for Stoke then you deserve to go down (Cardiff & Fulham).

Huge result thus far for Sunderland and Villa seem to be safe too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Sad to see Fulham go. Great stadium. Orchestrated their own downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Cardiff and Fulham go down with a whimper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sunderland
    Fulham and Cardiff are relegated. Norwich will join them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

West Ham
    A Chelsea win tomorrow and Sunderland are safe. Nice.

West Ham
    Not sorry to see the back of Cardiff and Norwich but dont like seeing a great little club in fulham going. Delighted Sunderland are staying too, id say sunderland fans are buzzing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Cardiff
    A Chelsea win tomorrow and Sunderland are safe. Nice.

Sickened. :( Fair play to Sunderland though, draw with City and beat us and Chelsea all away from home.

Cardiff
    Never, ever thought we could do it but what a revival over the last few weeks. 2-2 at City, 2-1 at Chelsea, 4-0 at home to Cardiff and 1-0 at United. If a top four team had put that sequence of results together it would have been surprising, never mind a side bottom of the league.

Hopefully Chelsea can finish the job off for us tomorrow. If not there's still work to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Gutted for Fulham, always had a soft spot for them, one of my local clubs growing up.

Also feel for Ole, think it was too soon for him to take on such a job, hopefully wont do damage to his future prospects.

:(

Cardiff
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Gutted for Fulham, always had a soft spot for them, one of my local clubs growing up.

Also feel for Ole, think it was too soon for him to take on such a job, hopefully wont do damage to his future prospects.

:(

Aye, I like Fulham. Decent club and Craven Cottage is one of the best away days on the calender.

I'm not sure Ole was up to all that much anyway to be honest. He kept changing formation at the start for too long and then he went with some bizarre set ups when they went a goal down. I don't think he's up to management at this level. He seems very naive tactically.

Cardiff
    Sunderland by no means safe yet. Need a point at home to either West Brom or Swansea and have the worst record in the league against teams in the bottom half by some distance.

Norwich play Arsenal who will rest key players next week and will have a great opportunity to pick up the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

West Ham
    Sunderland by no means safe yet. Need a point at home to either West Brom or Swansea and have the worst record in the league against teams in the bottom half by some distance.

Norwich play Arsenal who will rest key players next week and will have a great opportunity to pick up the win.

Stop it Paully :pac:

You're easily safe. The interesting thing is Sunderland and WBA are both safe with a point on Wednesday (West Brom for definite and Sunderland would be a **** ton goals ahead), just play out a 0-0 and go home? :pac:

• Advertisement

Cardiff
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Stop it Paully :pac:

You're easily safe. The interesting thing is Sunderland and WBA are both safe with a point on Wednesday (West Brom for definite and Sunderland would be a **** ton goals ahead), just play out a 0-0 and go home? :pac:

I'm far too long in the tooth and have too many years experience supporting Sunderland to think we aren't capable of losing those two home games mate. Just have a look at our record against sides in the bottom half, it's horrible. Norwich will win on the final day if they have to to have a chance of staying up as Arsenal will be focused on the cup final and won't play any of their key players.

Aye, I'm hoping both teams will just knock the ball around for the most boring 90 minutes of football ever witnessed and a 0-0 draw. Never underestimate the power of corruption I suppose, but if there's any team who could **** this up it's Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sunderland are 33/1 to get relegated. They are 99.9% safe. There's no point talking about their poor home record given the excellent form they've been in lately. They are playing way way better now than they were when they lost so many of those home games.

West Ham
    Even if Arsenal put out a second team (they wont, not in Wenger's nature) the players out there will want to impress to start the following week. Sunderland are definitely safe.

Cardiff
    Pighead wrote: »
    Sunderland are 33/1 to get relegated. They are 99.9% safe. There's no point talking about their poor home record given the excellent form they've been in lately. They are playing way way better now than they were when they lost so many of those home games.

We were 1/12 to go down a couple of weeks ago mate. If we were to lose on Wednesday night those odds would change significantly again. Don't get me wrong, it's extremely unlikely we do go down now, but there's a job still to be done. When you've supported Sunderland for as long as I have you learn not to take anything for granted except disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Sad to see Fulham go down. The implications of relegation nowadays can be truly grave. Not sure they have a squad good enough to come straight back up either. The Championship is a complete dog fight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement