Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a decent place in Waterford to rent a flat?

Options
  • 18-01-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

Im looking to move soon and was interested in renting a basic but comfortable flat that doesnt break the bank and is a decent area. I have looked around on the usual sites and the student areas like Lismore Park and Templars Hall are offering 60/70 per week but Im on my own so thats not suitable. I have been in the one area for a while so im not fully in the loop as to the decent/dodgy areas for flats are in Waterford. Any advice? A car parking space isnt essential.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 bigdone

I recently heard that it is a major issue to find nice place for rent, agencies are not responding due to high demand on the market. Maybe it is different in Waterford, but it is absolutely crazy in Dublin. Btw, if you are also looking for affordable removal company check http://www.logideals.ie, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Also, is there many places available to rent in The Munster Express, each week? I'd say it would be cheaper to go privately rather than through an agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Avoid the area around the peoples park and tower hotel. also up around lims ore park/Templars hall is populated by students.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

The Courtyard Apartments are fairly decent, right beside the fitzwilton hotel. Off the street, have a security man and good management company (place kept well). Rent for 1 bed is about 450, but you are central to everything and they are secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

The Courtyard Apartments are fairly decent, right beside the fitzwilton hotel. Off the street, have a security man and good management company (place kept well). Rent for 1 bed is about 450, but you are central to everything and they are secure.

Are they not through Bookaroom?

The worst letting agency, in the City?

They look pretty decent, though.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/The-Courtyard-Apartments-Waterford-City-Co-Waterford/1402695/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

looder wrote: »
    Are they not through Bookaroom?

The worst letting agency, in the City?

They look pretty decent, though.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/The-Courtyard-Apartments-Waterford-City-Co-Waterford/1402695/

Yeah they are bookaroom, I know alot of people give out about bookaroom but i have been with them 5 years and never had any problems with them. Few years back washing machine broke and in the mean time they gave a key to another appartment to use the washing machine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Avoid the area around the peoples park and tower hotel. also up around lims ore park/Templars hall is populated by students.

What's wrong with around the People's Park/Tower Hotel? I don't live there and am only around the area during the daytime, so it seems fine but I'm sure there's a lot I don't see/know in that case. I'd like more info too because my wife and I are thinking to move into the city from the country for work/convenience, and that's one area we had considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What's wrong with around the People's Park/Tower Hotel? I don't live there and am only around the area during the daytime, so it seems fine but I'm sure there's a lot I don't see/know in that case. I'd like more info too because my wife and I are thinking to move into the city from the country for work/convenience, and that's one area we had considered.
    There has been alot of anti social behaviour around there at night over the years. In fact just a few weeks ago there was an armed robbery at the petrol station directly opposite the park.
    Theres not constant problems there but lets just say its not a place that I would recommend someone new to Waterford to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

ryanf1 wrote: »
    There has been alot of anti social behaviour around there at night over the years. In fact just a few weeks ago there was an armed robbery at the petrol station directly opposite the park.
    Theres not constant problems there but lets just say its not a place that I would recommend someone new to Waterford to live in.

Not only was the petrol station robbed but it was the flats in Canada street that the lads were found. Been few cases of deaths around that part as well

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Wow...

Thanks for the info. I had heard about the petrol station robbery but wasn't aware that it was right in that area as I'm (clearly) not very familiar with the city outside of the core centre.

In general what areas should be avoided (for example in my case it'd be my wife and myself, both in our early thirties, with a dog and a cat)? Sorry to hijack the thread but I've searched plenty through the old threads on the same topic and I haven't found very clear and concise "stay away" posts except for one or two student housing spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ OP here, to add to this: Thanks very much for the advice on where to go and not to go but more detail would be welcome, so for anyone who have been a few places around Waterford, let me know your experiences as Im looking to move soon and I dont want to regret my decision..

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Try The Cloisters on John's Hill. There's always one or two apts to rent in the building. Imo it's excellent place - close to the city centre, but too far and too high for drunkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bilibob

When you say stay clear of the peoples park area and the tower hotel, You have to differentiate, canada street apartments are a bit rough alright, but sure look at the design- I dont know how they got planning. A ll the street behind scotts marsh dodgy too.

But Adelphi quay is really nice. I lived there for a while, have friends still there. Its quiet, secure carparking, lots of owner occupiers, and the proximity to the city centre can't be beaten. The biggest issue i'd say is that rent in adelphi quay is high- you'd get a house in the suburbs for the same rent as a decent two bed apartment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I live in Peoples park area, after the roberry, i noticed gardai visiting this area quite frequently. Looks safe enough now. Well to be honest, robbery can happen anywhere, anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

I live in Peoples park area, after the roberry, i noticed gardai visiting this area quite frequently. Looks safe enough now. Well to be honest, robbery can happen anywhere, anytime.

Exactly. There has been either a robbery or Murder in 90% of the places in Waterford or any other city at this stage if you go back far enough.

Kind of stupid to say a whole place isnt safe because some idiot that only lived there a few weeks robbed a local shop .

Name a place in Waterford that there is no history of burglary or anything similar. There are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Exactly. There has been either a robbery or Murder in 90% of the places in Waterford or any other city at this stage if you go back far enough.

Kind of stupid to say a whole place isnt safe because some idiot that only lived there a few weeks robbed a local shop .

Name a place in Waterford that there is no history of burglary or anything similar. There are none.

Kings Channel? Dont recall ever reading any robberies there, though Im open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Ardmore Park??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 michelle dillon

hi does anyone where I could rent in Waterford for about 400€ a month that would let me keep a small dog

• Registered Users Posts: 6 deisebob

Dunmore road area lovely place to live. There is a few break ins like everywhere. But good pubs restaurants, shops etc on your doorstep. Lovely walks too for dogs down by the river.

Advertisement