Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss football team to Dublin - what to do after hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Alors, c'est parti! The planes are reserved. We are 16, coming to Dublin for the 6-9 Novembre. Thanks for the advices so far. Mainly we have decided on Johnny Fox's (we are tourists) and we would like to watch a rugby game or a hurling game. We will see what is available when we get closer.

Every night will be night club. The Coppers and if we can find a club for 40+ we will try that too.

Hi Jean. Johnny Foxes is a great place. There is a bus that goes from Westmoreland Street (City Centre) to Johnny Foxes for 5 Euro each way. It leaves at 7:30pm and returns in time to go to Coppers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

There will be no Hurling in November as the season runs from February to September. Ireland are playing South Africa in rugby on 8th of November, however unlike our nation football cup final the tickets won't be cheap and might be hard to get. But if you can get tickets for this game you won't be disappointing as it should be a great game and the atmosphere will be great (expect to pay 70-100 for 1 ticket).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

There will be no Hurling in November .

Provincial club championships are usually run off between end of October and through November. Na Piarsaigh won the Munster Championship at the very start of December last year.

Depending on how it goes it could be possible to see a Leinster Championship match handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Provincial club championships are usually run off between end of October and through November. Na Piarsaigh won the Munster Championship at the very start of December last year.

Depending on how it goes it could be possible to see a Leinster Championship match handy enough.

Fair enough but the chances of a match in Dublin at that weekend would be fairly low so I would still rule it out if the op wants to have everything organise in advance

Thank you for the advice (and you too bennyineire). We can no longer acquire tickets for the rugby. So would maybe like to see club Irish football or Irish hurling game? In Dublin is that possible for weekend 7/8 November?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thank you for the advice (and you too bennyineire). We can no longer acquire tickets for the rugby. So would maybe like to see club Irish football or Irish hurling game? In Dublin is that possible for weekend 7/8 November?

If you mean "soccer", the League of Ireland finishes up on the 31st of October with the FAI Cup Final on the 2nd Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Is 'Howl at the Moon' still a night club for gamey badgers that the 30's-40yr old set might appreciate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

conorhal wrote: »
    Is 'Howl at the Moon' still a night club for gamey badgers that the 30's-40yr old set might appreciate?

Yes. Some of the crowd from Lansdowne still frequent there after their matches. And of all ages, the French when over are quite a sight in there with their stylish caps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If you're looking for a nightclub more suited to people in their 30s-40's then try House on Leeson Street which is only a 5 minute walk from the Conrad Hotel.
    http://housedublin.ie/
    Also very close to House on the same street is another nightclub called Buck Whaleys, which is another good place that is open till about 4am.

Coppers is good for one night to see it but there's no way I'd be spending every night there. Its a younger crowd than 40's too.

Johnnie Foxes is a good pub but be aware that it is about a 40 minute bus ride from Dublin city centre. If you are a football team drinking beer all day then spending 45 minutes on a bus to get to a pub can be slightly frustrating. That said I do like Johnnie Foxes even if it can be a bit touristy at times. The food is good and its a lovely pub so you won't go far wrong on that one.

If you want some of the best Guinness in Dublin then don't miss Mulligans on Poolbeg Street, Dublin 2. It is a very traditional pub with no food served, just drink. Well worth a visit.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If you're looking for a nightclub more suited to people in their 30s-40's then try House on Leeson Street which is only a 5 minute walk from the Conrad Hotel.

Johnnie Foxes is a good pub but be aware that it is about a 40 minute bus ride from Dublin city centre. If you are a football team drinking beer all day then spending 45 minutes on a bus to get to a pub can be slightly frustrating. That said I do like Johnnie Foxes even if it can be a bit touristy at times. The food is good and its a lovely pub so you won't go far wrong on that one.

Yes, we have Johnnie Foxes for one evening and I have heard that Buck Whaley's is maybe good for us.

Still looking for some Irish football (GAA?) or hurling? But it appears to me there is none?

• Advertisement

I see fixtures here: dublingaa.ie/fixtures/filter/2014-11-06/2014-11-08//all/all/all

Can someone recommend hurling? Not far from city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I see fixtures here: dublingaa.ie/fixtures/filter/2014-11-06/2014-11-08//all/all/all

Can someone recommend hurling? Not far from city centre?

Getting to a club hurling or football match might be tricky because fixtures are not set long in advance and logistically getting 16 people to a pitch in a residential area outside the city centre would be difficult. You could give it a go yourself;

http://www.experiencegaelicgames.com/

You can also visit Croke Park (the GAA stadium) which has a museum and you can find out about the sports. They have two types of tour; the stadium tour which brings you around the stadium and the Skyline tour which goes around the roof.

Another thing you might consider doing is going to the old Jameson Distillery.

In terms of nightclubs, Harcourt Street is your best bet as it is not far from your hotel and you can choose from Coppers, Diceys, DTwo, Odeon and Everleigh Garden which are all on that street. Although you might be better going to a good pub rather than a nightclub, places like Flannerys and the Bernard Shaw are a happy medium.

Finally no Irish football/hurling on for us this Saturday the 8th. We are going to the rugby... tickets are too expensive, but voilà.

Any more nightclub recommendations? I am still uncertain about that one. Thanks again, hope not too boring.

Firstly, Ireland is fantastic. We are leaving Sunday morning but until now it has been too much fun.

We stay at Mont Clare hotel. Not expensive and close to city centre. Receptionist is really nice good looking Irish girl.

Jameson tour is very good. Irish guy Niall gives tour in French! Very knowledge and funny. Speaks french like gay comedian Eddie Izard. Really good guy (Niall not Eddie. Well both, but you understand). Respect to you Niall.

Went to Johnnie Foxes last night. Brilliant. F%cking bus it 20 minutes late and takes like forever to get out of city centre. 1h15 minutes trip and everyone is tired and hungry and piss off when we arrive (we had taken plane early from Geneva that morning. Also wonder wtf the driver is bringing us because there are no human beings or light for last 10 minutes. But ambiance in pub is perfect and everything is forget in 5 seconds. Waitresses are all good looking Irish girls. Very natural and sweet. Small bit incompetent but who cares? Food is nice and plenty. Loved singing and dancing performance. Irish dancers very good looking Irish girls. Both hot. Guys not too bad looking either "in fairness" (you say?). One guy over-weight but makes dancing performance even more impressive (impressionnant).

We are too tired for nightclub when bus comes back to hotel, but ten of us go anyway. Dice Riley's. Impressive. Too young for us but still much fun. Remarkable things: Girls all good-looking and sociable. Not fat. Girls and guys all dressed well and can dance. Maybe is new-generation thing but we don't have stereotype of Irish like that. Ambiance really really good in night club. DJ - good chunes - and then one guy on electric drums and girl playing violin. Gives live feeling to music ("Live is life!"). Some girl disappear with my hat to cover balding so I have to dredge (? draguer... like seduce) shorter girls for rest of night. Success with one fat (really drunk) Irish girl, but she is idiot small bit. Good looking to me but maybe not too others. Fun.

Then we to Copper Face Jack's go. Kind of bull$hit place. Not Dicey Riley's. Again too young. Drague one girl. 21 so I am legend. She says I look 28 (bull$hit because I look more 48). Nice girl.

Chat to receptionist this morning. She is still good-looking but maybe all guys are chatting her. She is sweet.

We go Guinness today. Kind of bull$hit. But bar at top is great and again great ambiance. Many good looking girls. One very hot South African girl but she is probably idiot.

Eat at Brazen Head. Good but toilets are like for pigs. And no lock on one toilet (partition?) door. Wtf?

Tonight we go Temple Bar to eat and then maybe pubs George's St. Hopefully find older nightclub. Loving up to now. Thank you.

Supplementary question: One guy from group is missing all day. Assume visiting prostitutes. Where in Dublin? (For football club report). Thank you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

^^^funniest post in years!

Go JF!

The Globe on George's St. Is good for a bigger mix of age group as is Hogan's which is a little bit further up the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Enjoy yourselves!!!
    That post was pure gold!!
    Bord Failte should hire this guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Jaysus what an absolute horn dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Class

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

More please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

ha ha, why was that not made post of the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well that made for excellent Wednesday morning work reading!

RobFowl wrote: »
    More please....

Yes Rob. Too tired since returning (and exam today). Will do Part II this weekend. Unfortunately report for club will be incomplete details because none of you boys know where to find prostitutes in Dublin... Ha, ha.

A bientôt.

One guy from group is missing all day. Assume visiting prostitutes. Where in Dublin?

Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

Nearly spit my lunch out laughing at this thread- although probably no harm- sure as an Irish girl I could lose a bit of weight!

Ireland- the Horn Dog's Review.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

So you returned..But what about your "prostitute" friend?...Did he not fill you in on where he was?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

With Part 2 coming, we may have a candidate for 'Legend of Boards' :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    So you returned..But what about your "prostitute" friend?...Did he not fill you in on where he was?

I think his friend has done enough "filling in" for one week. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

All those good looking Irish girls he's talking about are probably Polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

This is the informations that I am looking for. "Craic" yes, I understand. You Irish are famous for that. We have imagination of "les anglaises" English/Irish womens as fat but fun. It's true?

Jean Francois, initially I was really embarrassed that people did not respond to your post correctly, however asking if Irish Girls are fat is completely RUDE. This has nothing to do with using your second language or cultural awareness, posting asking if Irish girls are fat but fun is not cool. :confused::confused::confused:

Now in relation to your question, if you are in your 30/40s I would recommend the following pubs which I really enjoy- I am a 36 year old woman ) , all are based in Dublin city centre.

Gypsy Rose, Foggy Dew for Rock music. The Globe is a great pub with a club attached to it. There are a lot of pubs and restaurants on George's Street which goes onto Camden Street. I can recommend more bars based on your music preference - ideally what are you looking for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 2395dfys

get a bag of hash and smoke it with some junkie on the back of a 40

Advertisement