Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse keeps blowing in house alarm

Options
  • 18-01-2014 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

Hi, the fuse blew in my house alarm so I took it out and got replacement fuses however when I put the new fuse in it only lasted 1 min and then blew.

I tried with the other new fuses but the moment I put them in they blow instantly (they are the same size/type fuse as what was in originally)

I have tried to look for any loose wires, I have tried with the battery taken out but the fuses just keep blowing every time I put them in

Does anybody know how I can fix this?

I have attached images of the alarm box

7m6p.jpg

d7ag.jpg

ypb8.jpg

p8kr.jpg

z582.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Which fuse is it and is there any work been carried out in your house at the moment?

Ps any furry invaders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Hi these are the little glass fuses ...

2s21.jpg

I got 250v 2a fuses but I just noticed this sticker ...

nvqb.jpg

So would i be right in thinking the fuses are not the correct type?

BTW no building works or furry invaders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The yellow wires from the transformer to the circuit board look like the low voltage. If you can, disconnect them from the board. If the fuse still blows then the transformer is likely faulty.

So it is the fuse for the electrical supply to the transformer that keeps blowing as opposed to one in the pcb?

You are correct regarding the fuse rating, if you can get the correct one, the first thing to do before power up is to remove the yellow leads from the transformer which are plugged onto the pcb. Then power it up, if the fuse blows again your transformer is knackered.

If not then remove the leads from the battery, power down the transformer and reconnect those yellow leads back onto the panel. Then power it up again, if it blows again I would be concerned about the pcb.
    I have come across batteries being so low in power that their lust is sucking most of the power from the pcb.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The yellow wires from the transformer to the circuit board look like the low voltage. If you can, disconnect them from the board. If the fuse still blows then the transformer is likely faulty.
    Thanks I'll have to buy more fuses before I can try that,

Do you know where would be the best place to buy the correct/specific fuse as in the picture above?

• Advertisement

If you are looking tomorrow the only place that I could suggest would be somewhere luke Maplins as all security and electrical suppliers wouldn't be open until Monday.

kub wrote: »
    If you are looking tomorrow the only place that I could suggest would be somewhere luke Maplins as all security and electrical suppliers wouldn't be open until Monday.

Thanks thats perfect there's a Maplins close to me

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll have to buy more fuses before I can try that,

Do you know where would be the best place to buy the correct/specific fuse as in the picture above?

Radionics or I guess any electrical wholesaler.

kub wrote: »
    So it is the fuse for the electrical supply to the transformer that keeps blowing as opposed to one in the pcb?

You are correct regarding the fuse rating, if you can get the correct one, the first thing to do before power up is to remove the yellow leads from the transformer which are plugged onto the pcb. Then power it up, if the fuse blows again your transformer is knackered.

If not then remove the leads from the battery, power down the transformer and reconnect those yellow leads back onto the panel. Then power it up again, if it blows again I would be concerned about the pcb.
    I have come across batteries being so low in power that their lust is sucking most of the power from the pcb.

Thanks for that, I'll try that tomorrow and post here how I get on

Thanks for that, I'll try that tomorrow and post here how I get on

Do that, make sure and get a few spares.

• Advertisement

Hi I got the fuses from Maplins and there blowing again both with the yellow wires connected and disconnected.

I got a volt meter and tested the battery and it's completely dead (reading 0.0)

Could this have any affect on the fuses or is it most likely the transformer?

Hi I got the fuses from Maplins and there blowing again both with the yellow wires connected and disconnected.

I got a volt meter and tested the battery and it's completely dead (reading 0.0)

Could this have any affect on the fuses or is it most likely the transformer?
    If the transformer is the only thing connected to the fuse then it must be fault.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    If the transformer is the only thing connected to the fuse then it must be fault.

Thanks, is there somewhere like Maplins that would sell transformers or would ebay be the best place to source one?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

dickwood1 what part of the world are you in?

markad1 wrote: »
    dickwood1 what part of the world are you in?

Hi I'm in Dublin 15 the transformer says " HKC Part#CCT-1001 46/02 "

Pm sent

Thanks to everyone on this thread for helping me with advice and guidance sorting out this problem,

The alarm is now fixed and working perfect,

Thanks in particular to Markad1 who went out of his way and arranged to meet me to give me a used transformer which has done the trick,

Mark your a legend !!!

:)

Nice lights on the vw

Advertisement