Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me choose a physics course

Options
  • 18-01-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm doing my leaving cert and I know I want to do physics but I'm having a tiny bit of trouble picking my course because I am very particular about what I want to do in physics. I want to do physics but I want to work with technology, preferably in something to do with research and development. Kind of like the work being done with the tokamak fusion reactors or the kind of experiments and research with technology that Tesla did.

It's very important to me that I go exactly where I want to with my direction in physics so I know I will probably need a PhD. I came here to ask people who have done physics courses in Ireland so they could help push me in the right direction. Will it matter if I do physics in a general science course like TRO71 in trinity or is it important that I do a dedicated physics course like CK408 in UCC? Also could an applied physics course still get me where I want to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ross31011

OK, Maybe my question is too complicated. Let me simplify it since no one has answered. Can I get a job in a traditional research related physics with an education in applied physics and is it any better to do a dedicated physics course over physics in a general science course?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

Ross31011 wrote: »
    OK, Maybe my question is too complicated. Let me simplify it since no one has answered. Can I get a job in a traditional research related physics with an education in applied physics

Yes. What do you mean by traditional research?
    is it any better to do a dedicated physics course over physics in a general science course?

Most definitely. I can't speak for all courses but generally speaking if you do a pure physics course you will do physics in a lot more detail then just a general science degree. Basically you might just do introductory classical physics and a bit of quantum if you are lucky/unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You'll need a Ph.D., for your Masters and Ph.D. You will pick your research areas, you undergrad won't really matter just your results in it will. I wouldn't go to trinity they are very slow to update courses especially in Science and technology. Personally I'd probably aim for UCD. I did 1st year of physics in Maynooth and it was really good, but you have no choice but to do two other subjects for 1st year, 1 being maths, on the positive side though you can choose to specify either theoretical or experimental physics for your undergrad if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

I'm doing my leaving cert and I know I want to do physics but I'm having a tiny bit of trouble picking my course because I am very particular about what I want to do in physics. I want to do physics but I want to work with technology, preferably in something to do with research and development. Kind of like the work being done with the tokamak fusion reactors or the kind of experiments and research with technology that Tesla did.

It's very important to me that I go exactly where I want to with my direction in physics so I know I will probably need a PhD. I came here to ask people who have done physics courses in Ireland so they could help push me in the right direction. Will it matter if I do physics in a general science course like TRO71 in trinity or is it important that I do a dedicated physics course like CK408 in UCC? Also could an applied physics course still get me where I want to go?

I would recommend a general science course. In the major universities, the general science courses start with a broad education, but narrow as you move through the years. You get a general exposure to various fields, and you ultimately end up a level of specialization easily comparable to degrees that lock you in to a specific route at an early stage. Undergrad courses, by their very nature, are fundamentally broad. (I have friends who did physics degrees, and went on to do biology PhDs.) And you never know how your research interests might change.

I did a general science course in NUIM and am now finishing up a PhD in UCC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Bobby The Builder

Science With Nanotechnology. DT227 in DIT Kevin Street.

• Advertisement

Science With Nanotechnology. DT227 in DIT Kevin Street.

It wouldn't be a good idea to go anywhere other an a uni if you are intending to do a PH.D. I think the op is looking for physics rather than science too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ross31011

Yes. What do you mean by traditional research?

Sorry, That was poorly phrased. What I meant was that applied physics seems to be very different to normal physics courses and I was wandering if it would be just as good a course to take if you wanted to physics in something to with scientific research compared to a normal physics course. Maybe it would be even more suitable for what I want to do? I don't know though. Here a few quotes from UL's webpage on their applied physics course:

"Applied Physics seeks to develop new technologies and practical applications through the use and improvement of our understanding of physical systems."

"The Bachelor of Science in Applied Physics degree programme recognises the importance of physics to many areas of modern industry and its impact on society. The course will provide you with a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics together with an emphasis on the application of these principles to problems in industry and the real world. This programme ensures that graduates of the programme are uniquely qualified to contribute to the continued industrial, economic and social development of Ireland, while at the same time enjoying interesting careers."

If you want to do you're research mainly in an office and mostly through maths you need to do mathematical/theoretical physics, if you want to do research mostly in a lab do applied/experimental physics. Either way your undergrad won't matter much.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭citrus burst

Sorry, That was poorly phrased. What I meant was that applied physics seems to be very different to normal physics courses and I was wandering if it would be just as good a course to take if you wanted to physics in something to with scientific research compared to a normal physics course. Maybe it would be even more suitable for what I want to do? I don't know though. Here a few quotes from UL's webpage on their applied physics course:

For me a degree in Applied Physics is as "normal" as they come. I mean physics is physics where ever you go or however you want to wrap it up, the tags they put on the names more relate to how you will specialize as you progress through the degree program. You're still going to have to learn the basis of every physics degree ie Quantum, Relativity, Electrodynamics, Thermodynamics etc. Some courses may give more leeway in terms of how you can specialize and it might be worth your while getting in contact with the actual schools themselves if you want more information.

Any way, whatever course you do choose the best way to achieve your goals is to get good grades all the way through (helps with funding), be seen to be good at what you want to do and probably most importantly get to know your lecturers and discuss with them what your interests are. If you can do that you'll get a PhD position in most fields.
    "Applied Physics seeks to develop new technologies and practical applications through the use and improvement of our understanding of physical systems."

"The Bachelor of Science in Applied Physics degree programme recognises the importance of physics to many areas of modern industry and its impact on society. The course will provide you with a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics together with an emphasis on the application of these principles to problems in industry and the real world. This programme ensures that graduates of the programme are uniquely qualified to contribute to the continued industrial, economic and social development of Ireland, while at the same time enjoying interesting careers."

For me what this means is that you will specialize in more up to date and relevant to Ireland technologies like semiconductors, materials science, nanotechnology or bio physics, while still having the know how of the things I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

GarIT wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a good idea to go anywhere other an a uni if you are intending to do a PH.D. I think the op is looking for physics rather than science too.

I teach a 3rd year module on this DIT course and have taken on graduates as PhD students with no hesitation. One such student went to Univ. Of Houston on his 3rd year placement and has just been granted a US patent on his work there. He won a 4th year award from Intel, got a paper published from the final year project and is working with a leading MNC as part of his PhD.
    So I would argue that if the student is good enough then they will succeed wherever they go to study.

• Advertisement
Advertisement