Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your cooking confession?

Options
  • 18-01-2014 9:11pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to confession, children of the unforgiving cooking god!

What is your cooking confession? Do you have one? Can you do everything in the kitchen bar boil an egg? Do you unfailingly burn toast? Maybe you can't cook pasta to save your life?

Mine is that I never make gravies or sauces from scratch :o. I'll make a gorgeous roast dinner and serve it with Bisto, or do fillet steak with packet pepper sauce. I just never bothered to learn how to make them properly, and actually if I was ever do a cooking course, I'd want to do one on sauces. Also, my OH thinks packet sauces etc are perfect, so I've not had the incentive to learn over the last few years.

So don't leave me hanging, share your confessions here!

I should add, there's no judgement in this thread! And please only offer advice if someone explicitly asks for it :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Me too! In decades of cooking, I've only ever made white sauce once. I use Knorr white sauce with grated cheese in it for my lasagne. I made onion gravy last week but reckon I'll go back to Bisto gravy with sautéed onion in it in future. I serve Bisto gravies with all my roasts :)

I made my own stock once too and I didn't like it so I always use stock cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I cannot make good pancakes. I think its the only cooking / baking skill that I have tried and practised and never got right.

I even cracked yorkshire puddings recently thanks to Tom Kerridge, but decent pancakes elude me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I think Aromat is the seasoning of the gods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I love food. I could talk about it, shop for it, read about it and eat it all the live long day. Cooking I can take or leave most of the time! Especially during the week or if I am narky. I'd live off scrambled eggs & toast Monday to Thursday if I could. Some parts of cooking, the fiddly or repetitive ones, like chopping garlic and dealing with the mess afterwards genuinely bake my beans.

When food loving buddies say things like 'Why would anyone buy a takeout/microwave meal/pot noodle when it's so EASY to just whip it up at home, it's just laziness!!' I sort of half heartedly nod along because I have regularly had a bag of onion rings (frozen, not Johnny) for dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I can't boil or poach eggs :o Well, I can boil them, but they always go hard and I can't stand hard boiled eggs. Eww. I have a poaching saucepan that I use for doing them with soft yolks, without that I wouldn't get soft yolks.

Sauces are usually packet sauce, I know everyone goes on about how bad they are, how false the flavouring is etc, but I generally only use a small amount. Gravy is bisto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

When I am cooking for me and my boyfriend, I double dip the spoon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I'll try weird, complicated and fancy recipes but I've never turned my hand to making a roast. Maybe it's the many over cooked roasts I was fed during my childhood that put me off. Our baby is 10 weeks old and before she was born myself and my husband used to joke that we couldn't become parents until we learned how to do a nice roast chicken :) I was 10 days overdue so got around to roasting a couple of birds while waiting for our own little chick to arrive. Next stop roast beef!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Roesy wrote: »
    Maybe it's the many over cooked roasts I was fed during my childhood that put me off.
    This is what put me off roast dinners for years. My mother always over cooks roasts. Recently I cooked roast beef and as it was only a small piece it needed to be cooking for 1 hour, my mother refused to eat it in case it wasn't cooked.

As I tried to cook it to her tastes, it ended up overcooked. Never again.

She doesn't always eat the roast chicken I cook either, in case she gets food poisoning and when she does eat them, she's never sick. But yet sometimes she won't eat them 'just in case' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I can't poach an egg in just water. I have tried so many times and failed. I've looked up all the so called tricks and still nothing.

I finally gave in a few months back and just bought a poaching pan.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm pretty good in the kitchen, but I make a lot of comfort food, homely dishes.
    Spaghetti Bolognese, lasagne, stir-fries, curries, stews, roasts etc.
    I can make a lot of dinners from scratch and I love a new recipe BUT I am hopeless at doing eggs.

Probably the simplest food in the world yet I have no idea how to boil an egg (I mean, I KNOW you boil it but for how long?!) or poach one and when I attempt to fry one, it's either undercooked or overcooked.

It doesn't bother me, not knowing, as I'm not a big fan of eggs anyway, but people find it amusing that I can cook so many nice dishes from scratch, yet when it comes to eggs, I'm hopeless.

I'm also atrocious at cooking steak. It's either burnt or raw.
    My boyfriend is the best at cooking steaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I still haven't mastered a perfect consistency panna cotta! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I like to throw a slice of bread in the frying pan after a full Irish, soak up all the grease. Tastes like heaven sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I thaw and re-freeze stuff all the time, hasn't affected me in any way *twitch*

I can't poach an egg properly, despite trying about a hundred different methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I like to throw a slice of bread in the frying pan after a full Irish, soak up all the grease. Tastes like heaven sent.

Fried bread was a staple in my house growing up when my mam was away. :D

I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

scrambled egg is always a bit hit or miss, well mainly miss!!! It should be so bloody easy to do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I can't make mayonnaise. It never emulsifies. It just splits and I end up with split eggy looking oil. I've wasted more eggs and oil than I care to admit. Every time I have leftover egg yolks from a recipe I try it, and every single goddamn time I fail. I try a different way every time too, so it's not repeatedly trying the wrong recipe. Mayo failo. That's me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I can't poach eggs either. When I try I end up with two lonely looking yolks on the toast, with all the whites left behind, usually welded to the bottom of the saucepan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I pride myself on my brilliant eggs, tell people I make great scrambled, poached, baked eggs, how would you like them, and just hope nobody says fried! I can not fry a good egg, always comes out a weird shape and either over or under cooked.

So if someone does say they want a fried egg I tell them I could make them something more complicated for a treat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bad poached eggs? Use the smallest pan, add some vinegar and stir water well before adding eggs.

Cooking confession? Trying to rack my brains for any but I think I'm faultless! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm another failure at poaching eggs! I've resorted to using the little 'poachie' pouch things, not the same but at least I end up with a soft yolk and don't lose all the white like I do whenever I try to cook them properly!
    I've tried using a drop of vinegar and it does improve matters slightly but I can detect the vinegar taste and I hate it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I put tomato sauce (ketchup) in almost every beef dish I cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Bad poached eggs? Use the smallest pan, add some vinegar and stir water well before adding eggs.

Tried it, still end up with wet egg spaghetti circling a yolk. I am almost good at boiling eggs now but open up this page every time I try to do it, it's my lucky egg talisman. Can't poach or fry, those are eggs I only eat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

pampootie wrote: »
    I think Aromat is the seasoning of the gods

SAME!!!

I can't make mashed potato properly...

I don't know what it is! But it just never turns out correctly! I think I need to read up on boiling potatoes correctly! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

SAME!!!

I can't make mashed potato properly...

I didn't master mashed potatoes until recently! I never knew the difference because I don't eat them, but apparently my mistake was failing to dry them out before mashing... so now I let them dry over a low heat and give them an occasional shake to prevent them burning to the bottom of the pot... absolute revelation! Fluffy mash every time! (I realise this isn't news to most people but I was doing it wrong for nearly 20 years, doh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I once pooped in a saucepan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Damn autocorrect!

That should have said, I sometimes use sauce from a jar on home made pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

dipdip wrote: »
    I once pooped in a saucepan.

Toilet too far?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Tried it, still end up with wet egg spaghetti circling a yolk. I am almost good at boiling eggs now but open up this page every time I try to do it, it's my lucky egg talisman. Can't poach or fry, those are eggs I only eat out.

Used to be the same until I heard somewhere about the smallest pan suggestion. Made all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'm disastrous at heating food in the microwave -- I either nuke them to death, or they're still cold in parts. Never get them just right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can rarely be arsed making a dessert - even when we have people around.

Advertisement