Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your cooking confession?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

was.deevey wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOO! don't use a steel on expensive (assuming traditional?) Japanese blades or you can completely fcuk them up.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/howtosharpen.html

Really ... A lad I know has some very very expensive sushi knives (he got them in Japan) .. Precious about them..
    Has whetstones but uses a steel as well ..
    What ever you've got, ikea, kitchen devil,diamond steel (my next kitchen purchase) use it . Nothing worse than a knife that doesn't cut .... Bring back carbon steel ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

was.deevey wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOO! don't use a steel on expensive (assuming traditional?) Japanese blades or you can completely fcuk them up.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/howtosharpen.html

So steel = No.

Yoke from Ikea = ok?

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

So steel = No.

Yoke from Ikea = ok?

I see.

Neither.... I linked on how to use a proper Japanese Waterstones to sharpen your knives.

And no they are not the same stones you pick up in any hardware for chisels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

I can't cook steak. No matter what I do, I always make a complete mess of it. Even if I have bought decent meat, it ends up tough as hell.

Any kind of stews, casseroles, roasts - I always get on fine. But steak - I have just given up trying at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

BnB wrote: »
    I can't cook steak. No matter what I do, I always make a complete mess of it. Even if I have bought decent meat, it ends up tough as hell.

Any kind of stews, casseroles, roasts - I always get on fine. But steak - I have just given up trying at this stage.

Hot hot hot hot pan is the answer. And very little oil. Mmm steak

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thanks for the dinner idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

syklops wrote: »
    Please do not use a yoke from Ikea to sharpen your hundreds of euro Japanese knives. Go get them professionally sharpened, then get a good steel, and use the steel on them after every use. That will keep the edge on them for ages.
    That's probably a fair point, but 'tis grand for bog standard knife-block knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kylith wrote: »
    That's probably a fair point, but 'tis grand for bog standard knife-block knives.

I checked with my sushi guy and I was way wrong ...he definitely Doesn't use a steel on his japanese sushi knives !!!
    One they don't use steels in Japan (apparently) but mainly the steels are too harsh for traditional carbon steel knives ...
    So I dunno what you do for a stainless steel Japanese knife... ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hot hot hot hot pan is the answer. And very little oil. Mmm steak

...and a minimum of time, in Ireland most people tend to vulcanise steaks. even if you want it well done, it won't take long.

Cedrus wrote: »
    ...and a minimum of time, in Ireland most people tend to vulcanise steaks. even if you want it well done, it won't take long.

I worked in a restaurant where people would regularly order the fillet steak not just well done, but 'cremated'. That is the word they actually used! Sacrilege!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I try to make sure every bit of food is emptied from it's tin or packet otherwise the whole reason for it's existence has been wasted!

I try to make sure every bit of food is emptied from it's tin or packet otherwise the whole reason for it's existence has been wasted!

I always have 2 or 3 spatulas in the dishwasher for this very reason - every jar and packet is truly empty once I'm finished with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've been known to get a bit twitchy watching cooking programmes on tv, where about a third of the ingredient gets left in the prep bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Malari wrote: »
    I've been known to get a bit twitchy watching cooking programmes on tv, where about a third of the ingredient gets left in the prep bowl.

Ina Garten is the worst for this!!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Ina Garten is the worst for this!!

Mind you, with Ina Garten, you are probably a lot better off health-wise leaving half the ingredients behind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Mind you, with Ina Garten, you are probably a lot better off health-wise leaving half the ingredients behind ;)

You must be thinking of Paula Deen?

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    You must be thinking of Paula Deen?

Nope, never heard of Paula Deen, I'm thinking of Barefoot Contessa. The few times I saw her show she always seemed to be frying or using a lot of butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Nope, never heard of Paula Deen, I'm thinking of Barefoot Contessa. The few times I saw her show she always seemed to be frying or using a lot of butter.

Paula deep fries her chicken in fat, then pours a block of melted butter mixed with a cup of maple syrup.

Somehow, I found myself licking my lips, while holding my chest tightly watching her cook that. I wouldn't have minded a thigh or wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Paula deep fries her chicken in fat, then pours a block of melted butter mixed with a cup of maple syrup.

I think she might be a genius.

Somehow, I found myself licking my lips, while holding my chest tightly watching her cook that. I wouldn't have minded a thigh or wing.

Ew! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I've got some really expensive japanese steel knives that I insisted on getting cos I wanted the best. Like hundreds of quid.
    Now they're not sharp any more because I don't know WTF to do to sharpen em without destroying em.

Local locksmith sharpened my knives. Like new now.
    If in doubt about where to sharpen good knives best thing to do is ask in a butcher or a cheese shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I made a terrible Spaghettini carbonara last night :o:o
    It was bland and stodgy.

I had some lovely Austrian ham which just wasn't right in it and I reckon it was all a bit too hot when I added the egg yolks and cheese so it went pretty solid rather than creamy - maybe too much cheese too.

I was not a happy camper.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I make "home made" potato salad using a tin of rinsed and dried new potatoes from M+S.

Chopped up with scallions, a bit of parsley and GOOD mayo of course, but even the mayo is bought.

Still, it's lovely, and looks home made!

There's my confession anyway, and i have more....so three Hail Mary's and one Our Father for me I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deedless

Can't make pasta. Tried four times but it tears and/or sticks to the counter . Sads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I made a terrible Spaghettini carbonara last night :o:o
    It was bland and stodgy.

I had some lovely Austrian ham which just wasn't right in it and I reckon it was all a bit too hot when I added the egg yolks and cheese so it went pretty solid rather than creamy - maybe too much cheese too.

I was not a happy camper.:mad:

Leave a bit of the cooking water in the pasta before you stir in the egg yolk and cheese. Gives it that slightly velvety texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

syklops wrote: »
    What is this silver spoon you speak of?

Their bolognaise recipe is the best one I've eaten - and incredibly simple.

Advertisement