Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain problems

• 18-01-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Chain popped off a couple of times this week. Which is a bit scary as I have going downhill when it happened. Got caught in the rain a couple of times and I have wet lube on the chain with no mudguards. I have a Boardman and have tried to get mudguards for winter but there is no clerarance.

The only thing I can think is the bike is getting so dirty with the crap on the road and attaching itself to the chain and the derailleur that it is causing the chain to jump off. Anyway took the bike apart bought some degreaser and cleaned everything.

The question is should I put wet lube back on or go with dry lube. I have always been told that dry for summer and wet for winter but the wet just seems to make all the crap stick to it. What is everyone else's experience and what are you using on the chain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

wisjoc wrote: »
    Chain popped off a couple of times this week. Which is a bit scary as I have going downhill when it happened. Got caught in the rain a couple of times and I have wet lube on the chain with no mudguards. I have a Boardman and have tried to get mudguards for winter but there is no clerarance.

The only thing I can think is the bike is getting so dirty with the crap on the road and attaching itself to the chain and the derailleur that it is causing the chain to jump off. Anyway took the bike apart bought some degreaser and cleaned everything.

The question is should I put wet lube back on or go with dry lube. I have always been told that dry for summer and wet for winter but the wet just seems to make all the crap stick to it. What is everyone else's experience and what are you using on the chain?

Wet lube will last longer this time of the year, but yes it is messy and attracts dirt - be careful not to over use it as well. I use it this time of the year but would clean my chain weekly minimum to prevent it crudding up everything. Dry lube will wash out very quickly in the rain no matter what time of the year, so I tend to use the wet lube all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use dry lube in the winter....the trick is to use it before EVERY ride. I usually apply it in the evening so it's dry in the morning.

Then I degrease the chain/cassette every weekend and it's ready for another weeks commuting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If your chainrings are excessively worn then the chain can come off quite easily. I don't think dirt would cause it to come off, but I guess you never know. I rarely clean my commuter bike and the chain does not come off like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wisjoc

Thanks for the replies. Seems I am no further forward. One says wet the other dry. I think I will give the dry a go as the wet has proved a problem. Although I do believe I probably put too much on. Cheers

I think the lube is down to personal preference - I clean and lube weekly, Lapierre07 cleans weekly but lubes daily. But as pointed out, its probably not the lube that is the issue - chain popping off could be caused by wear of the chain itself or the rings / cassette. How old is the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭wisjoc

It is a year old. Done around 4000 kilometres. Maybe the jockey wheel needs replacing. How do you know. Is there a tool you can buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It sounds to me like you need to adjust the limit screws on the FD. Dirt wouldn't normally make the chain come off.

PS - if you don't have time to clean/degrease the chain, simply run it through a rag after each spin/commute. This will remove most of the excess dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It is a year old. Done around 4000 kilometres. Maybe the jockey wheel needs replacing. How do you know. Is there a tool you can buy.

If they look like hen's feet, or if they are approaching it, then they need replacing.

jocwheel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

It's definitely not dirt causing the chain to jump, if that were to happen every mtb'er in the country would loose their chain after 50 feet of a trail. Something either needs adjusting or replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    It's definitely not dirt causing the chain to jump, if that were to happen every mtb'er in the country would loose their chain after 50 feet of a trail. Something either needs adjusting or replacing.

Agree. You say the chain is coming off. When? Under what conditions? When on the larger front ring? Or the smallest? When shifting up? Or shifting down? While in the smallest gear on the cassette (largest cog sizewise)? To me it's not about lube. For what it's worth, I hose the bike off every day after work when the streets are wet. I wash the bike at the weekend. I don't use wetlube, just a regular non-corrosive oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have a Boardman and have tried to get mudguards for winter but there is no clerarance.

Not your original question but check out Crud Roadracers. They should fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Joff

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Not your original question but check out Crud Roadracers. They should fit.

So will RACEBLADES, and a better mudguard IMO, although they don't stop the brakes getting dirty.

As a previous post said it's prob not dirt causing your problem, I suspect your FD needs adjustment, plenty of help on U Tube if you're not certain how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

How long should a chain last assuming all weather riding.

Would 3,000 KM seem reasonable before a replacement is required?

Cheers

It would also depend on the wear on other components. You could get a lot more than 3,000kms but may also have to change the cassette and chainring as the new chain won't be compatible. Chain wear would also vary according to how it's maintained and the amount of climbing done.

I have a sora set up (so presumably a basic enough chain) on a commuter I use 5 days per week. At the moment it's done about 5,000km from new. I clean the clean, degrease and lubricate the chain weekly, so I would like to be thinking I'll get another couple of 1,000 km's out of it before it needs changing. Will be repalcing the cassette was well.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I have a sora set up (so presumably a basic enough chain) on a commuter I use 5 days per week. At the moment it's done about 5,000km from new. I clean the clean, degrease and lubricate the chain weekly, so I would like to be thinking I'll get another couple of 1,000 km's out of it before it needs changing. Will be repalcing the cassette was well.
    If you intend to replace the cassette anyway, you may as well keep going for another while. (You may have to change the big ring also)

If you intend to replace the cassette anyway, you may as well keep going for another while. (You may have to change the big ring also)

Ah yeah I normally do the chain and cassette every 6 months or so on the commuter. I found 'looking after' the drive train prolongs its life - I used to be lazy and just oil her up every now and again with the odd clean. Have a spare set of front chain rings handy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

time for a new bike.....

Advertisement