Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips for new born lambs slow to get going

Options
  • 18-01-2014 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

as the title says anyone got any tips to get a new born lamb thats slow to get up going? after having a couple here this year, clear their mouth make sure breathing ok, the ewe licking and all and still no real get up and go in the lamb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

There used to be stuff called Dopram V drops made by Fort Dodge. Only used it once on a giant of a lamb that was hard pulled, thought he was a goner before I used it, perked up well afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Was reading a good sheep handbook and he recommended stuff called thermotive by a company called tithebarn Never heard of it and probably an English thing . But he said it is "the nearest thing to a miricle he's ever seen"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

100mls of Beistings through a stomach tube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

what breed are the lambs ?

some breeds are slower than others.

as tabby says tube them and they'll be fine

you might also want to correct the pre lambing care of the ewe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

dave747 wrote: »
    as the title says anyone got any tips to get a new born lamb thats slow to get up going? after having a couple here this year, clear their mouth make sure breathing ok, the ewe licking and all and still no real get up and go in the lamb

It's likely you have a mineral deficiency, what are you feeding, how much and for how long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

they were getting beet and hay with mineral buckets when they were out and getting very good hay with a good 18% ration with good ingredients since they went in, trebles for 8 wks before lambing the twins 6 wks and the singles 4. have only twins and singles left and they getting bout half a kilo each at the min, all charollais rams used, some lambs nearly hit the ground runing and the odd few real slow to get going and could be out of the same ewe

they were getting beet and hay with mineral buckets when they were out and getting very good hay with a good 18% ration with good ingredients since they went in, trebles for 8 wks before lambing the twins 6 wks and the singles 4. have only twins and singles left and they getting bout half a kilo each at the min, all charollais rams used, some lambs nearly hit the ground runing and the odd few real slow to get going and could be out of the same ewe

Should be alright so, Some people just rely on mineral buckets and not all sheep like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

jt65 wrote: »

you might also want to correct the pre lambing care of the ewe

have you any tips on improving this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

Any chance could be one ram? I had a lad whose lambs were the the dopiest bloody things, great lambs but awful at birth only used him one year. While my main fella now lambs are nearly standing before they hit the ground, never seen as lively lambs at birth.

I use Animax boluses one month before they lamb and I really believe that it is a help, I often question the quality of the minerals that merchants put into rations, with the boluses you have it covered. I give each ewe the three boluses which includes copper, if you don't have a copper problem you'd get away with two, the gun holds the three boluses so its only one dose.
    Incidentally it also transfers in the milk to the lambs, so you don't have to worry about cobalt for the first ten weeks of the lambs life.
    Cost is high at 1.75/ewe but we'd often have 30 - 40 ewes lambed here in a day and lambs have to be up and going immediately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

reading your posts, don't think you can do much more..

maybe as rancher says try the bolus route for the minerals

I have used Lifeline buckets in the past and found them good, however the local co op store stopped stocking them and tried pushing thier own brand

I changed to the bolus

using mayo health care and no issues so far

Advertisement