Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protecting tunnel mesh from horned sheep

• 18-01-2014 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Probably a long shot here. Decided on getting a small tunnel for lambing. Only problem I can see is if a ewe makes a hole in the windbreak mesh or worse getting caught up in it.

Don't want to interfere with the ventilation or lose space inside by fencing it internally(cake & eating it comes to mind doesn't it).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Could you put something like 1/4 inch ply up the sides to a height of 4 ft (8x4 sheets). That would be high enough and still give ventilation overhead. It would also stop any draught on lambs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Could you put something like 1/4 inch ply up the sides to a height of 4 ft (8x4 sheets). That would be high enough and still give ventilation overhead. It would also stop any draught on lambs.

I should have mentioned :o From ground to one meter high is mesh, then we meet the cover.

Was warned off building a wall under it elsewhere.

My suggestion would defeat the purpose then.
    The mesh might be strong enough anyway but how about chicken mesh inside the windbreak mesh or it might be expensive but some horizontal bars about the same distance apart as on sheep gates might protect the mesh.
    Other than that I did see at the ploughing rolls of mesh wire with square holes about 1/4 inch square and 4ft high. A run down the wall would protect the windbreak and ewes horns should be 2 thick to get caught. It was fairly strong looking stuff. I was thinking we could put it on existing gates instead of buying the ones with mesh on them but I haven't done anything more on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

My suggestion would defeat the purpose then.
    The mesh might be strong enough anyway but how about chicken mesh inside the windbreak mesh or it might be expensive but some horizontal bars about the same distance apart as on sheep gates might protect the mesh.
    Other than that I did see at the ploughing rolls of mesh wire with square holes about 1/4 inch square and 4ft high. A run down the wall would protect the windbreak and ewes horns should be 2 thick to get caught. It was fairly strong looking stuff. I was thinking we could put it on existing gates instead of buying the ones with mesh on them but I haven't done anything more on it.

I had to put electric fence on my tunnel to stop them eating it, just tec screwed the insulators to the hoops, think con said he was away from electricity but a good battery/solar fence would do on a short run. Two or three rows would surely stop them

rancher wrote: »
    I had to put electric fence on my tunnel to stop them eating it, just tec screwed the insulators to the hoops, think con said he was away from electricity but a good battery/solar fence would do on a short run. Two or three rows would surely stop them

I have a battery fencer bought last year, just not set it up. Got a solar panel to charge the battery. Going to put the battery and fencer into the stone shed which is a short distance from where I want to put the tunnel so that should work out OK. Had read before about sheep chewing the plastic trying to get at the condensation.

• Advertisement

What's the craic with fences arcing? The wires wouldn't be too far from the mesh which could be wet at times and of course the metal hoops, would it be an issue in the tunnel? Never used one before.

I don't think it should be a problem. If you look at nails and how close they will let the wire to posts. A similar distance from the mesh and hoops should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

What's the craic with fences arcing? The wires wouldn't be too far from the mesh which could be wet at times and of course the metal hoops, would it be an issue in the tunnel? Never used one before.

These are the type I used, the wire is half an inch from the post, tec screw top and bottom...
    The fence won't arc to the galebreaker be cause its plastic

thumbnails.generator.aspx?size=400&docid=4962

Very good, that'll do the finest.

Advertisement