Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Python, Best IDE

Options
  • 19-01-2014 12:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Trying to find a good IDE to start learning Python. Biting the bullet to see what I can do with the language. Anyone know of the best Development Environments available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

PyCharm is the best one, great IDE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Liachta Cultaca

I use Tiger Jython to develop some simple scripts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thought I'd give Ninja IDE a try and see how it fears out for now. I'm just getting started with the language, so if I stick with the IDE, that's another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Most of my pythoning is done in a text editor (sublime), but I've tried pytools with visual studio, and it seemed like a really nice python environment. Might be worth looking into.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Let me know what you think of ones you try, I've just used a text editor as I found that fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

All I've ever used for the little python dev work I've done is vim. IDEs are nice, but DDEs are fine too...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hard to beat vim, but pycharm is the best IDE I've used, from the same guys as intellij.

jester77 wrote: »
    Hard to beat vim, but pycharm is the best IDE I've used, from the same guys as intellij.
    The way I see it, you can code by hitting a dead squirrel off the monitor if it works for you and doesn't make everyone else's life a misery. Just don't impose the dead squirrel methodology on people who work better using other methods, like hitting a dead hamster off the USB port.

It's only when you're actually teaching students that the IDE/DDE/toolsInGeneral question has a different answer (namely, put away the dead rodents and learn using the most basic discrete tools possible; you can then use dead rodents afterwards and understand things far better because you've got a better foundation). But I don't think that holds if, say, you're an experienced C programmer who's looking to learn Python as a new skill. In that case, we're back to use whatever makes life easiest for you.

And maybe get an air freshener, because dead rodents stink.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Must try out pycharm, looks nice and all I've been using is gedit and vi/m. And boy do I dislike vi/m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Sparks wrote: »
    The way I see it, you can code by hitting a dead squirrel off the monitor if it works for you and doesn't make everyone else's life a misery. Just don't impose the dead squirrel methodology on people who work better using other methods, like hitting a dead hamster off the USB port.
    As always there's a relevant XKCD:
    real_programmers.png

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Heretic :D

Advertisement