Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenkeen waterfall

Options
  • 19-01-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering if any one knows where I can find a waterfall in the Glenkeen valley in the Slieve Blooms, I think... its on the Clonaslee trail head, but i'm not sure, and I'd like a better idea of where to look if I'm to go exploring that area! any help is appreciated! thanks!
    (Any waterfalls in that area will do, I've already been to Glenbarrow, and Catholes but would like to find more!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Hi I'm just wondering if any one knows where I can find a waterfall in the Glenkeen valley in the Slieve Blooms, I think... its on the Clonaslee trail head, but i'm not sure, and I'd like a better idea of where to look if I'm to go exploring that area! any help is appreciated! thanks!
    (Any waterfalls in that area will do, I've already been to Glenbarrow, and Catholes but would like to find more!)

Glenkeen, just like Glenbarrow, was caused by quarrying. Its particularly striking to look at, I think. Quite close to a tar road, but not many people would know about it. A little bit awkward to park right at the end of that road, due to it ending in a farmyard. But you never know, could be grand this time of year. You won't see too many in Glenkeen. A forgotten valley in the Slieve Bloom and, in my view, has a lovely haunting historic quality about it. Many of the northern Slieve Bloom valleys have. You can sense that they were once heavily populated and of course, being all glacial till, they are quite fertile too.

You're looking at a short drive out of Clonaslee village. Walk uphill to the left here after where you see this SUV parked on Google Streetview, about 100 yards max, and you will find the waterfall :-

Careful around some of these waterfalls. They are not natural, they were quarried and so can be deep and dangerous.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=glenkeen+clonaslee&hl=en&ll=53.121564,-7.581124&spn=0.011435,0.027595&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=5.820985,14.128418&t=h&hnear=Glenkeen+Lower,+County+Laois&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.121566,-7.589311&panoid=cSRlMVB69mcAVViTyjVY5w&cbp=12,225,,0,0

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭john d nevin

good stuff an ri rua, thank you for your input! it sounds quite straight forward, and I will be careful, thank you!

edit: oh.....and yes by the way, there is a great sense of serenity that is captured in the Slieve Bloom valleys.. something which I find hard to get in Wicklow due to its most beautiful places being well known and generally busy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

John, if you like exploring (I do and I know and love the Slieve Blooms well), then you could do with running into Paddy Heaney if possible in Cadamstown. There is a cave south of Cadamstown, uphill, that the IRA used to meet in and hide out in during the War of Independence. He should be able to direct you. Also, the Giant's grave is well worth visiting. Upstream on the County River (you cross it between Clonaslee and Cadamstown). Very serene places; thankfully our Slieve Blooms are not OVER popular :D

wow interesting stuff... fantastic i'm always intrigued by the history of places! And yes cant beat a day out with a few hours of exploring.. thats whats so lovable about the Slieve Blooms too, you feel like your exploring it for the first time! If you didn't know about all the quarrying it would seem like unexplored territory altogether :D I will certainly keep an eye out for any elderly gents in the Cadamstown area too ;) thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Here is some photos of Clonaslee GlenKeen Upper Brittas Cadamstown etc a Hidden Gem in Co Laois as far as im concerned http://www.flickriver.com/places/Ireland/Laois/Clonaslee/

• Advertisement

thanks SIXPACK there are some gorgeous pics there, I must have more of a look around Clonaslee and into Glenkeen. I just did the silver river trail last week and I was very impressed by it altogether, the water cascades downhill for at least a mile on that stretch, with lovely waterfalls every 100metres or so, its really beautiful. The more I explore the Slieve Blooms the more impressed I am, hard to believe there are so many gorgeous valleys in such a small area. Furthermore I can't understand why for the most part I rarely come across any other people while doing these trails! thanks again

Advertisement