Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mondello track day! Beginner

• 19-01-2014 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭

Well lads, wasn't sure weather post this in Motorsport or here but here it goes!

im looking to eventually try a few track days in mondello in the summer if i get lucky. Starting with the track day training! has anybody done this?
    or anybody regularly doing track days ?
    looking for some advice on how much i am going to need to spend on a bike.?.where to look?
    .what should i look out for when viewing a bike?

how much would it be costing me if i got the bug for it...do I need a full bike licence, what about insurance?regulations?
    Sorry for the probably stupid novice questions :).. am determined ta get off arse and do something this time around cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Have you ridden a bike before....can you ride a bike safely..??
    You'll need a full or race licence, no insurance required for trackdays....
    Any bike 400-600 will get you started in mondello...you could go smaller but you'll soon tire of it imo...;)
    Get a (bike) mate to look at a bike with you..or buy from a dealer..if youre just looking for a tracky theres plenty of bikes on DD or adverts.....dont buy a minter..:)
    Trackdays are the best fun, but dont feel intimidated by other riders that are just more experienced, you dont need to know how to wheelie or get the knee down...it'll come...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Starting with the track day training! has anybody done this?

Yes! I have and it's totally worth it. To do a track day in Mondello, you need to have a full licence OR a track training day. I did the training day as I didn't have my full licence (at the time) and I have to say, it was money well spent. The morning is mainly a classroom session and then some emergence braking/slow speed manoeuvres (sp?) etc. and then some track time. At the time, my riding and confidence came on in leaps and bounds after it. Highly recommended.
    or anybody regularly doing track days ?

I did, and at €160 a pop for a full day, it's dearer than the northern tracks (which are better) but it's still enjoyable. WARNING!!- you WILL become addicted! :D
    looking for some advice on how much i am going to need to spend on a bike.?.where to look?
    .what should i look out for when viewing a bike?

Are you looking at a road bike you will use on the track or a bike for track use only? If it's a bike for track use only, they tend to be cheaper. A proper "track bike" will have race fairings, no lights/mirrors etc and panels "usually" held on with dzus clips. Price wise, you could pick one up (eg an F2 CBR600) for about €1000 ish. A fully loaded, fully race prepped bike could run up to €7/8000 if not more.

Re: what to look for...if you're not mechanically minded or have limited knowledge on bikes, BRING SOMEONE WITH YOU WHO DOES! Obviously it need to start, run well, have good working brakes etc.
    how much would it be costing me if i got the bug for it...do I need a full bike licence, what about insurance?regulations?

As above, a full day in Mondello is about €160. You can split it if you want (morning only or afternoon only) and it's cheaper. If you do this, and you get into it...go further afield...Kirkistown and Bishopscourt do track-days (both up north) and they're about €60-80 of the full day and are far superior tracks. Also as above, you don't need a licence to do the track day once you have the training day completed. Regulations...don't be a tit or a showoff and you'll be grand! :pac: The main "rule" they have is if you're going on the track, you have to have one-piece leather OR a good zip-together two piece, and your helmet has to be Double-D Ring, although most lids are anyway.
    Sorry for the probably stupid novice questions :).. am determined ta get off arse and do something this time around cheers!

No such thing as a stupid question. Better than going in blind, not knowing a thing and possibly hurting/killing yourself or someone else.

Hope this helped a bit. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Thank you very much lads, that's great info...:)
    I have had my own 125cc in past.. I am able to drive a bike alright. Have driven bigger bikes too.
    Would need some practice all the same to knock the cobwebs off...
    I would be looking for a track day only bike..
    How much is the training? Do you get a race licence after 1 day??
    I have a 1 piece leather suit..and a helmet..
    all need to do is wait till my brother isn't looking!! Ha :)..
    Thanks again for the advice...

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Thank you very much lads, that's great info...:)
    I have had my own 125cc in past.. I am able to drive a bike alright. Have driven bigger bikes too.
    Would need some practice all the same to knock the cobwebs off...
    I would be looking for a track day only bike..
    How much is the training? Do you get a race licence after 1 day??
    I have a 1 piece leather suit..and a helmet..
    all need to do is wait till my brother isn't looking!! Ha :)..
    Thanks again for the advice...

The track day training is usually €200 or €250 for the day, but as numbers were so low (due to the price at a guess) they dropped the price to €100 for the classes last year. This year, I don't know yet. Hopefully they've seen the light and stick with the €100 price and get in more people.

You don't get a licence but you get a cert and they have a record of it too. So after you do it, when you go to do a track day, bring a copy of the cert and show them that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Aye, cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement