Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just moved here!

Options
  • 19-01-2014 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have not long moved to Ireland (originally from England), me and my parents are currently looking to buy somewhere in the Connaught area, but we are currently renting in Leitrim.

I don't realy know anyone, got to know one of the neighbours but she is often buisy with her two kids (obviously). was hoping I could get some advice on where to go to meet some people, like groups or something... going to a pub or club on your own seems a little depressing.

Just really looking to make some friends, I'm in my 20s and into all sorts from Sci-Fi like Dr Who, hiking, gardening, geology, cooking, dogs, even philosophy. Just want t know somewhere I can go to meet people without seeming sad and pathetic. Not really into any sports, so not likely to join and teams, and we are hoping to be living off the land so not looking to get normal job either, also not really religious so meeting people through church doesn't really work (would be kinda hypocritical).

Open to any suggestions (with in reason), also apologies for any spelling errors I am dyslexic... though I think I got them all on spell checker (just always like to say it just in case)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sparki_A_F

Oh also I don't drive.. so that can be a problem too

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Sparki_A_F wrote: »
    Hi, I have not long moved to Ireland (originally from England), me and my parents are currently looking to buy somewhere in the Connaught area, but we are currently renting in Leitrim.

I don't realy know anyone, got to know one of the neighbours but she is often buisy with her two kids (obviously). was hoping I could get some advice on where to go to meet some people, like groups or something... going to a pub or club on your own seems a little depressing.

Just really looking to make some friends, I'm in my 20s and into all sorts from Sci-Fi like Dr Who, hiking, gardening, geology, cooking, dogs, even philosophy. Just want t know somewhere I can go to meet people without seeming sad and pathetic. Not really into any sports, so not likely to join and teams, and we are hoping to be living off the land so not looking to get normal job either, also not really religious so meeting people through church doesn't really work (would be kinda hypocritical).

Open to any suggestions (with in reason), also apologies for any spelling errors I am dyslexic... though I think I got them all on spell checker (just always like to say it just in case)
    You left out one major detail, where are you living in Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sparki_A_F

oh yeah, sorry I'm living in Dromahair. Kind of a small place

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Sparki_A_F wrote: »

I know Dromahair pretty well,not a lot to do around there.Do you play sport at all,GAA is a great way of meeting new people. Sadly a lot of the younger generation(20's age group) have left Dromahair and are either abroad or in college and only come home on Rare occasions.

I know there is a North Leitrim Hillwalking group(Google/Facebook) but most of the people on it are lates 40's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Welcome!

As IrishLad said, sport goes a looong way to getting to know people in Leitrim (as I learned to my detriment growing up there), but anything local will help. If you're into playing music, dancing, acting etc., then Scór might be another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

Hiya I'm in a similar kind of situation ,renting in leitrim ,no car etc
    A few ideas
    If you're into geology and hiking the area is full of potential
    There's slish wood a great walk by lough gill and up the mountain,very scenic
    If you have a Bike there's plenty of great routes, from dromahair to manorhamilton road is lovely and scenic going by benbomountain
    The road from Sligo to dromahair is real nice to going by slish wood,Dooney rock
    And lough gill one of the best parts of the area
    Also volunteering might suit you if you're into living off the land etc
    I think there's a transition town group in dromahair
    Also theres ard nahoo a bit outside the town which is a retreat centre with walks and organic gardens and yoga classes probably starting up again now
    They're on Facebook and have a Nice website
    If you just google dromahair there might even be a website for the area
    And there will be plenty of info on whats goin on in the area in the community notes in the leitrim observer the local paper
    The dromahair manorhamilton area is full of alternative types with organic farms and living off the land ,so once you get goin there'll be plenty to do etc
    There's probably buses to both Sligo and manorhamilton too , should be more on offer there ,libraries,shops,pubs etc
    Also I think cinema northwest -the Mobile cinema call around there sometimes
    And the whats on in leitrim guide you'll get on the dock.ie website
    The organic centre in rossinver offers plenty of courses and activities on all things organic and natural, you can get their new catalogue on their site and in many other places too
    Also the local youth theatre (sligo or manorhamilton)might suit you
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The pub? Stanford's is nice. Is there a local dramatic society maybe?
    Also, join Macna na Feirma. It's the young farmers society. They run classes, do field trips and have a social side as well. Sometimes do trips abroad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nearly~November

Hi there, as a previous poster said, get in touch with the Transition Network... (here's a link: http://www.transitionnetwork.org/) and look for people/groups in the Leitrim area. As you're looking to live off the land, you should surely find some support and connections through them :)

I am currently researching the area myself to hopefully move back to Ireland and buy a small plot... I'm from Donegal originally, but am considering looking in Leitrim. Best of luck and sure I'll look you up if I manage to fulfil my dream!

Advertisement