Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasty Beefburgers

Options
  • 19-01-2014 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

Like to make homemade burgers with fresh mince,but they tend to be a bit tasteless and bland.

Any tips on how to liven them up a little.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

I add some Ballymaloe into the mince before cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Try more salt and pepper than you're using now.
    Underseasoning could well be the problem...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Grated onion, garlic, chopped parsley, paprika, mince, breadcrumbs and an egg. I'll get you a picture later of my finished product.

Grated onion, garlic, chopped parsley, paprika, mince, breadcrumbs and an egg. I'll get you a picture later of my finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

1 pack mince
    1 pack wafer-thin sliced chorizo, chopped into small pieces
    1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
    Dessertspoon of Dijon mustard
    Handful of grated cheddar
    Salt and pepper
    Pop everything into a food processor and run on a slow speed to combine nicely (don't go too hard and fast or you'll get beef paste). Divide the mix into 4, shape into burgers and cook for 35 mins at 200c/gas 6. Halfway through the cooking time, drain the liquid from the sheet you're cooking them on to help them brown.

(these are made/meant to be low-carb, so if you want to throw a few breadcrumbs and/or an egg to bind them better feel free, but they work fine to this recipe, and are VERY tasty indeed. The chorizo moistens them and adds a bit of a kick. I'm sure I remember parsely being included somewhere along the way but it's not in this version.....)

ETA - ooh, I'd forgotten the sauce bit....

I served them with a sauce of cream, horseradish sauce and parmesan. And a green salad on the side.

(again, the cream is a low-carb thing, please don't fall down faint at the idea! But horseradish and parmesam watered down somehow makes a really tasty sauce for beefburgers!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I use flour instead of the egg to bind them, gives them a little bit more of a chewy texture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

Thanks for all the tips,looking to get kind of mcdonalds floppiness and flavour if that's not heresy on this section:D

My previous efforts are quite good but have a bit of the 'ice hockey puck' texture about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thanks for all the tips,looking to get kind of mcdonalds floppiness and flavour if that's not heresy on this section:D

My previous efforts are quite good but have a bit of the 'ice hockey puck' texture about them.

Don't make them too thick.
    Season well with salt and pepper.
    Don't overcook them.

Each to their own but I'd leave all the mustard/ketchup/onion/chilli etc etc as toppings. Should be no need for any binders.
    A good burger should taste of good beef so the quality of the beef you use is very important. If it's too lean, your burger will be dry. Minced round steak does not make good burgers for this reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's more about the cooking than the ingredients. Beef, maybe pork mince, with salt & pepper is sufficient. Breadcrumbs just add unnecessary bulk. Fry and broil the burgers for that American finish.

Look at getting mince from the short rib (Jacob's ladder) cut. Ask your butcher for help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I got a whole book on burgers from charity shop some years ago and tried every single one of them. Mix of minces, herbs and spices, I thought they were great, until I tried out Neven Maguire's Ultimate Beef Burger, which to me, is the juiciest burger I've cooked by far. No breadcrumbs, no eggs, just a touch of cream as a binder.

1.5 lbs minced beef (20% fat content is best)
    1 small onion, finely grated
    1 mild red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    2 tbsp double cream
    1 tbsp chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
    1/2 heaped tsp salt
    freshly ground black pepper

In a food processor place the minced beef first, then add onion, chilli, garlic, double cream and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, then quickly blitz until the meat starts to hold together. Divide mixture into 4 burgers and shape by hand. Arrange on a flat plate, then cover loosely with clingfilm and chill for at least 1 hour to allow the mixture to firm up.
    On medium heat, cook 5 min each side for medium (in a preheated grill or bbq, but it applies the same on pan I'm sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

SQ do some lovely sirloin burgers 4 for €5.

They also have rib-eye ones that are €4 each but I haven't tried them.

Thanks again for all the help, much appreciated.

507DB1EDFCB34C3780D028859F12F1D8-0000324795-0003482282-00800L-DB6C7D8237DA42DC8A531DC1C8FD5B38.jpg

Pic as promised.

Lovely line up!!

Ps got some mince 85% lean which is 15% fat if I am correct.

Always got 'best mince' which I presume is 5% fat

Based on the advice I got here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Lovely line up!!

Ps got some mince 85% lean which is 15% fat if I am correct.

Always got 'best mince' which I presume is 5% fat

Based on the advice I got here!!

yeah, Fat is Flavour!
    There's a reason there's so much sauces used in steak tartare... no fat in fillet...

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread - apologies in advance - but since there's so many burger experts on here at the moment...

Anyone know where I might get a good burger press/shaper? I've found a nifty looking one on the Lakeland site, but they don't deliver to Ireland - I know there's parcel motel, but I've never used it and would like to pick one up here in the next day or two - you've all given me an appetite for the things!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I've never seen a burger-press on sale here, that's not to say they can't be found but I've never come across one. I've bought online from Lakeland many times in the past and they've always shipped to me here, perhaps things have changed but I don't know why. Finally, I've used Parcel Motel 3 times now without a hitch so if you like the Lakeland press and PMotel is the only way to access it, go for it! In the meantime, maybe use your biggest scone cutter as a press........after all, it's an emergency!!! Good luck!

janmaree wrote: »
    I've never seen a burger-press on sale here, that's not to say they can't be found but I've never come across one. I've bought online from Lakeland many times in the past and they've always shipped to me here, perhaps things have changed but I don't know why. Finally, I've used Parcel Motel 3 times now without a hitch so if you like the Lakeland press and PMotel is the only way to access it, go for it! In the meantime, maybe use your biggest scone cutter as a press........after all, it's an emergency!!! Good luck!

Sorry, should have said that Lakeland will ship, but for £6, which is £1 dearer than the bloody press! Shipping much cheaper on Amazon, but they won't, for some bizarre reason, ship to Ireland.

I have my own parcel motel in a sister who lives in Norn Iron, so if necessary I'll get it sent to her, but just thought I might be able to get one this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I just spotted one on Home Store and More's website, Tala brand for €3.99 - is there a branch near you?

• Advertisement

janmaree wrote: »
    I just spotted one on Home Store and More's website, Tala brand for €3.99 - is there a branch near you?

There is!!

Cheers, I was trawling through their gadgets section online, but was losing the will to live so gave up!

Thanks a mill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread - apologies in advance - but since there's so many burger experts on here at the moment...

Anyone know where I might get a good burger press/shaper? I've found a nifty looking one on the Lakeland site, but they don't deliver to Ireland - I know there's parcel motel, but I've never used it and would like to pick one up here in the next day or two - you've all given me an appetite for the things!!!

If you're not near a Home Store & More, I got mine from Kitchen complements. I have it for years and it's served me well :)

http://www.kitchencomplements.ie/kc/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=503

If you're not near a Home Store & More, I got mine from Kitchen complements. I have it for years and it's served me well :)

http://www.kitchencomplements.ie/kc/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=503

Aha, nice one! Much nearer, and much more like the Lakeland one.

Cheers m'dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I totally cheat... I buy frozen organic ones at mallow Market, there not quite half pounders... Cook them from frozen (preferably on the BBQ) damn fine burger...(unless my wife cooks them, for about 30 mins pressing hard to make sure no juices remain and they have the texture of cardboard)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Grated apple mixed in, or a slice of blue cheese in the middle should increase the flavour significantly.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I prefer using my hands - it makes the edges rougher and so the burger absorbs more deliciousness. Or, if it is presentation you want, use a pint glass to cut them out like cookies!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Be careful using a glass to cut shapes, the sudden change in air pressure from being pushed down can cause glasses to blow out or crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mince, egg, flour, grated cheese, onion, chilli, tobasco...delish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Two I haven't tried, yet.
    1 (Heston baldy heads) season chunks of sirloin :( put it through a mincer ,shape the strands coming through the mincer loosely into a patty, rest then fry turning often ( pretty much the opposite of everything I was ever told )
    2/3 minced beef and 1/3 fatty pork .. Season mix , loosely hand shape then grill ... (going trying this one first)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

In mine I like crushed cream crackers or bread crumbs, egg, soy sauce, Dijon mustard,garlic chilli and salt
    In don't always bother with the eggs and bread crumbs/crackers but I think it makes them really yummy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Like to make homemade burgers with fresh mince,but they tend to be a bit tasteless and bland.

Any tips on how to liven them up a little.

A large mixing bowl, lean mincer beef, lamb or pork, or even turkey mince will work. Then add a medium grated onion. I'd crumble up a slice of stale bread, gluten free I use but regular bread if you have no intolerances, also a good squeeze of good tomato ketchup and mix it all up with hands.
    Then just pop out the patties onto some greaseproof paper on a baking tray and pop in the oven until cooked.
    If you like, before serving them put a dollop of barbeque sauce on each and layer over a slice of processed cheese, pop back in the oven and I'll have melted over the sauce, lovely.
    A drop of Tabasco or Worcester sauce at this stage is lovely too.
    Serve with homemade chips made with parboiled potatoes baked with a spray of low fat oil and a sprinkle of paprika, baked in the oven with the burgers and your laughing.
    This is my better half's recipie for a healthy gluten free burger and chips, lovely bubbly!

Advertisement