Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underwear returns

Options
  • 19-01-2014 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I bought 2 sets of underpants in pennys and one was considerably smaller in size despite the fact that they were marked to be large and the inches size range was identical on the label.

I think they were mis-labelled and its a joke that one fits and they other doesnt. The manager said "Oh well its different fabric"

Well then it should be marked as a different size if a change in fabric changes the size!

He kept repeating his mantra of store policy and I kept telling him that his store's policy was irrelevant and that his store has to comply with the Irish Sale of Goods and Services act.

Clearly Pennys likes dreaming up in house policy and seems unaware what their obligations are under the act and hopes that their customers dont know what their legal rights are.

Im going to take legal advice on this because I think Pennys are abusing customers and trampling on their legal rights by bullying them with their stupid store policy!!

Any sign or manager that says NO REFUNDS is illegal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Onthebus wrote: »
    I bought 2 sets of underpants in pennys and one was considerably smaller in size despite the fact that they were marked to be large and the inches size range was identical on the label.

I think they were mis-labelled and its a joke that one fits and they other doesnt. The manager said "Oh well its different fabric"

Well then it should be marked as a different size if a change in fabric changes the size!

He kept repeating his mantra of store policy and I kept telling him that his store's policy was irrelevant and that his store has to comply with the Irish Sale of Goods and Services act.

Clearly Pennys likes dreaming up in house policy and seems unaware what their obligations are under the act and hopes that their customers dont know what their legal rights are.

Im going to take legal advice on this because I think Pennys are abusing customers and trampling on their legal rights by bullying them with their stupid store policy!!

Any sign or manager that says NO REFUNDS is illegal.
    Try getting in contact with pennies head office first. No point wasting a couple of hundred when a €2 phone call could sort it out. They're hoping that because their stuff is generally on the cheap side you'll go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Generally Pennies are perfectly fine to deal with and have a good returns policy.
    I always thought Pennies offered a no-quibble returns policy if you had your reciept??

Your best bet is to contact Primark directly. It would be pointless seeking legal advice over a cheap pair of underwear (Let's face it, they're not exactly of the highest quality).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Forget legal advice, that's overkill.

Firstly, Penneys aren't bad to deal with usually. Did you have all receipts, packaging & tags? You could try another store to see if a different manager will help. Finally contact their head office on Parnell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Maybe work out how much time and money your spending on trying to return some underpants before you spend more money on the adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you think the smaller one is wrongly tagged, as in a small labelled see a medium, happens some times.

Firstly you are not returning the item as a change of mind so pack and tags and conditions on the receipt are not an issue.

You are retuning them as a faulty item.

Do they look different when one is place on to of the other?

The no refund sign is fine as it has nothing to do with faulty items just changes of mind, which this isn't.

If you have an issue again, ask what the 'store policy' is on faulty items and ask that this be followed.

Ask the manager to prove the item is a large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Ring the head office and ask to have a brief chat with someone of a higher rank than the store manager so you can get to the bottom of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Maybe work out how much time and money your spending on trying to return some underpants before you spend more money on the adventure.

Not only that, but Primark (in common with most stores) do not allow returns on underwear for obvious reasons.

Honestly OP? I'd chalk it up to a bad experience and move on. There's no way you'll be getting an exchange or refund, and it's not worth the hassle for cheap knickers.

Get them from M & S or Dunnes, next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

mad dave wrote: »
    Ring the head office and ask to have a brief chat with someone of a higher rank than the store manager so you can get to the bottom of this.

I'm not sure if that was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Not only that, but Primark (in common with most stores) do not allow returns on underwear for obvious reasons.
    That policy can be applied to change-of-mind returns; it cannot be used to avoid responsibility for unsuitable merchandise.
    Honestly OP? I'd chalk it up to a bad experience and move on. There's no way you'll be getting an exchange or refund, and it's not worth the hassle for cheap knickers.
    OP can make his own decision. I'd certainly pursue a case like this because I don't like being screwed over. Even if the amount is small, it's a matter of putting manners on retailers that mess people about - that's a service to other shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jms2013

Understand you are bummed out OP but pointless getting your knickers in a twist over a cheap pair of underpants. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

People returning underwear ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - no smart comments please.

If the items were not as described, which it appears they were not, then these are valid grounds for invoking your consumer rights.

Advertisement