Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence substitution

Options
  • 19-01-2014 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Went and sold my air rifle and bought a shotgun the other evening. Have all the paperwork filled in and ready to go. Cant remember what to do now do I post it or hand it in to the garda station. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

huntmark wrote: »
    Went and sold my air rifle and bought a shotgun the other evening. Have all the paperwork filled in and ready to go. Cant remember what to do now do I post it or hand it in to the garda station. Thanks

You are better off going to the Garda Station with it, I always find its a good oppertunity to touch base with your FAO and in my cases anyway it definitly speeds it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 huntmark

You are better off going to the Garda Station with it, I always find its a good oppertunity to touch base with your FAO and in my cases anyway it definitly speeds it up.

I was thinking that but I wasn't too sure thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yep, it's always better to hand it in. That way it can't get "lost in the post". And as has already been mentioned, it's always nice to have a chat with the F.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Ring the station first, find out who the FO is and when he will be in. Go there when he is in, discuss it with him because you may not be allowed sub an air rifle for a shotgun, it's not like for like. Give the application by hand to the FO and only the FO. Keep a copy of all documentation you have submitted in case there is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Can you sub an air rifle for a shotgun?

• Advertisement

rsole1 wrote: »
    Can you sub an air rifle for a shotgun?

It's meant to be like for like. Some supers may do this, sub an air rifle for a shotgun, but the vast majority will not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's possible, but the fact they are unrestricted firearms is their only likeness.

Rifle -v- shotgun, .17 -v- 12g, bolt action -v- O/U(semi auto), etc. Everything else is different.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Is it not meant to be based on what the firearm is used for more so than what it is?

The law is "like for like". That's it. It does not go into specifics as to what they should be, as that is up to the Super.

So i've seen lads getting .22lr subbed for .308. I've seen single barrel .410 changed for 12 g semi autos. However i've never seen a rifle subbed for a shotgun. I've also heard of lads being refused a .243 to 6.5, 6.5 to .308 because they are different calibers.

It really is down to the discretion of the Super. I've been granted subs on O/U to semi auto, and .243 to .308. However i've also been told, when i submitted my application, that changing from .223 to .308 would not go through as my Super deems anything not deer legal as varmint cvaliber, and anything deer legal as fullbore. Ordinarily i'd just submit the application, but i've known my FO for years and he has always been more than helpful when it comes to applications, subs, mods, etc. As a shooter himself i'd trust his opinion. Plus i was prepared for it to not go through and brought two FCA1s. One as a sub, and another as a full application. When he handed me back the sub paperwork he just laughed as i handed him the full application.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

While I agree that whatever the Super say goes it's all about interpretation of the legislation and/or Guidelines.

I quote from the Guidelines........................
    When an application to substitute a firearm certificate is made – on the basis of ‘like for like’ – the process should be completed by the Garda Síochána in a reasonable time frame of approx. 14 days. This application will be made on the ordinary application form FCA1 and will not require a fee. In this situation, the applicant will not be required to undergo the entire application process again e.g. medical enquires, referees etc. It should be noted that approx two weeks following the issue of a substitute firearm certificate, the original firearm certificate will cease to be in force and should be destroyed by the holder.

When assessing a ‘like for like’ application, an issuing person should be satisfied that the applicant’s ‘Good Reason’ for possessing the firearm has not changed since the original grant of the certificate. For example, substituting a non restricted long firearm for another non restricted long firearm is allowable provided that the applicant does not intend shooting deer instead of say species that are destructive to farming or hunting activities. As stated, the ‘Good Reason’ must remain fundamentally the same as in the original grant.
    So if you got, in this case the air rifle for shooting bunnies and now you got the shotgun for shooting bunnies, technically it's a like for like as the "good reason" is the same.

• Advertisement

It is about interpretation, but not your's or mine, the Super's. His/Her determination is the only one that counts.

As i outlined above there are numerous instances (simply do a substitution search ) of people getting it for one sub and not getting it in another instance. Some where the like for like is as good as it gets in terms of how alike the firearms, and reasons are.

Dian Cecht wrote: »
    While I agree that whatever the Super say goes it's all about interpretation of the legislation and/or Guidelines.

I quote from the Guidelines........................

So if you got, in this case the air rifle for shooting bunnies and now you got the shotgun for shooting bunnies, technically it's a like for like as the "good reason" is the same.

Cass has given you good advice. No point in debating here with us, go down to your FO and see what happens :)

bravestar wrote: »
    Cass has given you good advice. No point in debating here with us, go down to your FO and see what happens :)

I wasn't disagreeing with Cass which you'll realise if you read my post again. My point is that once decisions are based on one person interpretation there will always be differences of opinion/interpretation. My interpretation is as logical as another but as I've said in many posts here it's what the Super says that counts, unless you can get a Judge to agree with you.

By your logic there is no need for any of us to be here discussing anything at all so?

Advertisement