Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bansai tree query

• 19-01-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi there - hopefully I have the right section.

Purchased a Bansai tree a couple of months ago. It's on a window ledge in my kitchen and as far as I can see, from my watering and plant feeding, it's thriving. However, I have noted of late some tiny little white worm like creatures and I'm a bit worried. I've googled etc and what I can find tells me not to worry but looking for some more info if available.

These guys seem to come to life after watering and when compost is damp/wet. They are tiny guys, worm like and from close inspection, see to have a pair of tenticles on their head. Should I be worried???
    Thanks to all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 An Fhuiseog

Hi there - hopefully I have the right section.

Purchased a Bansai tree a couple of months ago. It's on a window ledge in my kitchen and as far as I can see, from my watering and plant feeding, it's thriving. However, I have noted of late some tiny little white worm like creatures and I'm a bit worried. I've googled etc and what I can find tells me not to worry but looking for some more info if available.

These guys seem to come to life after watering and when compost is damp/wet. They are tiny guys, worm like and from close inspection, see to have a pair of tenticles on their head. Should I be worried???
    Thanks to all

I wouldn't panic to be honest!These are just the natural little beasties that inhabit most composts;oftentimes we don't know they're even there until,as you say,you water the bonsai/plant - they're naturally going to come to the surface as the water percolates through the compost in the pot.These little critters are very beneficial for the soil/compost;they help break down the detritus in the composts,improving the structure of the soil which will in turn aid good root run(healthy roots = healthy plant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bonsai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Bonsai?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shabbyalonso

I wouldn't panic to be honest!These are just the natural little beasties that inhabit most composts;oftentimes we don't know they're even there until,as you say,you water the bonsai/plant - they're naturally going to come to the surface as the water percolates through the compost in the pot.These little critters are very beneficial for the soil/compost;they help break down the detritus in the composts,improving the structure of the soil which will in turn aid good root run(healthy roots = healthy plant).

Brill - thanks a mill for the reply, much appreciated. My research had indicated as much but good to hear first hand. I can rest easy! Thanks again

Advertisement