Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with card terminal nightmare

Options
  • 19-01-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Looking for some help folks. Seriously at my wits end!

Having a nightmare with my card terminal. It's an ingenico, but i dont think the unit is the problem anymore.

Basically it kept juist not working all of a sudden, sometimes ive had to order new machine and it would work fine again for a while, other times id do nothing in particular and the machine would just work again.

Specifically, the ethernet cable doesnt get picked up. Im running the machine thru the broadband/router in the shop.

It happened again today when i unplugged the unit to move it and ive spent half the day on customer support and nobody has a clue whats going on. They did mention something to do with our firewall here being an issue possibly so i just turned our AVG protection off just there and low and behold, machine is working again.

Thing is, i need a firewall obviously, does anybody know how i configure AVG to allow my card terminal through?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

AVG is antivirus installed on a pc? If so why is the card machine connected to the pc? Is your broadband reliable? Is it proper broadband or lousy "mobile broadband"?

Card reader -> should be connected to -> router. Other stuff on the network should not interfere.

Get your IT support to look at it. If you don't have IT support then I suppose you should learn about networks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd start by dropping AVG, there are better, cheaper products on the market now that will alert you when something new tries to get out through your firewall. They'll even go as far as asking you if that's what you want and make any necessary firewall changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hang on, something doesn't add up here. AVG don't do Firewalls on routers. Are you connecting the terminal to a PC and that PC is in turn connected to the broadband?

Give us a clear description of the set up i.e. From the terminal to the internet.

Personally I would recommend a GSM / 3G card terminal. Completely stand alone and not dependant on your network. Its rare for mobile networks to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Graham wrote: »

Yes, I know...

But AVG on a PC won't stop a credit card terminal connected directly to a router. So until the OP can clarify, we can't really help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Set up is as follows...

Card terminal connected to broadband router thru ethernet, host pc has AVG.

Having problems with the card terminal and or router not picking up the ethernet cable when i plug it in. I turned off AVG as customer support from my terminal company said tht may be causing problems. It worked, machine is back working fine.

AVG seems to be the problem then no?

As ironclaw pointed out, it's reasonable to expect your terminal to connect directly to the internet via your router. The fact that switching off AVG makes it work would logically suggest that the terminal is connecting to the PC, then the internet.

Is there any software for the terminal installed on the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

If your terminal is connected directly to your router then AVG isn't the problem.

There's always a chance that the Ethernet port(s) on the router is faulty or the router itself.

Can you borrow a router from someone to test this out?

Advertisement