Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Range rover conversion

• 19-01-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭

Lads...

I'm going off on a bit of a crazy idea here but Iv'e seen a few of these discoverys transplanted onto older circa 1980's chassis and thus qualifying for vintage tax. I was thinking of trying something similar although i wanted to use the running gear from a isuzu 3.1 and maybe even the body but most importantly the running gear. Does anyone know where i could get some info on weather this will work with a land rover or is there a different older chassis i could use.
    Any thoughts, ideas, anything at all would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The registration belongs to the chassis here so provided you keep that you'd be OK. Problem is early Range Rovers especially 2 doors are rocketing in value, cheap ones will be rusty as hell. Early 110s are being snapped up by yanks so you can forget that.

Many of the 'vintage' Disco and late classic Range Rovers out there are simple dodgy VIN plate swaps and deserve to be crushed if caught. There are some legit ones though as the chassis of the RRC and D1 are the same, but like I sad, there is now a demand for original Rangies.

Best be is to avoid dodgy vintage tax and buy a commercial Disco 1 and modify that, lots' of lads are at it and if your a good welder/fabricator it's easy enough. Stronger axles are the usual transplant, either from Patrol or early Land Cruiser are favourite. Trouble with Isuzu is the front IFS set up, Disco uses a solid axle with Panhard rod and radius arms. Nothing's impossible though if you can find a copy of Total Off Road in Easons.

Cant think of another older base vehicle that has a simple straight ladder frame chassis like Land Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

cheers sean.

Advertisement