Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix access

• 19-01-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

just wondering if anyone else experiencing problems with Netflix connectivity. We have just got a new horizon box from UPC and we're trying Netflix for the free month trial. At times it just doesn't connect/load and at another time it stopped in the middle of a film. Not sure if the problem is at our end (in theory we have very fast broadband, we're based in Sandymount Dublin) or at the Netflix server end. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Netflix is working perfectly. How are you using it? It's most likely the equipment that is the problem.

Horizon WiFi has a very short range so if you're connecting via WiFi all the way from the box right beside your tv to the tv it is probably just too big an ask for horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bookwords3

GarIT wrote: »
    Netflix is working perfectly. How are you using it? It's most likely the equipment that is the problem.

Horizon WiFi has a very short range so if you're connecting via WiFi all the way from the box right beside your tv to the tv it is probably just too big an ask for horizon.

Thanks for that. Its a new samsung smart tv (smarter than me anyway) so as far as I understand it the signal is hardwired into the tv, shouldn't have to use the wifi?. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the sequence of switching on the tv/horizon box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bookwords3 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Its a new samsung smart tv (smarter than me anyway) so as far as I understand it the signal is hardwired into the tv, shouldn't have to use the wifi?. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the sequence of switching on the tv/horizon box

I was over exaggerating about the WiFi but the Horizon box is the worst router I have seen after several years working in IT. It's nothing to do with what you turn on first. TV apps are never great, it is most likely the TV or the app that is the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭emaherx

I use a samsung tv with netflix app on Three 3g internet and never experiance connection issues. I have found the samsung netflix app very tollerant to what is a less than ideal internet connection.

You would expect cable broadband to be perfect.

I would suggest checking your ethernet connections

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bookwords3

GarIT wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Grainy

I got the horizon box last week , the signal is terrible, couldnt get a signal in the bedroom :( also cannot access netflix, I was accessing it via nintendo wii but it wont accept the new network settings so no access - I have a samsung smart tv but no internet adapter - would this solve the problem - Otherwise its back to the old way with UPC!! Any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

bookwords3 wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone else experiencing problems with Netflix connectivity. We have just got a new horizon box from UPC and we're trying Netflix for the free month trial. At times it just doesn't connect/load and at another time it stopped in the middle of a film. Not sure if the problem is at our end (in theory we have very fast broadband, we're based in Sandymount Dublin) or at the Netflix server end. Any thoughts?

I have a Samsung smart TV and Horizon box. The TV is hardwired to the box with ethernet cable and 99% of the time Netflix is perfect.
    However, running Netflix via wifi on an iPad is a disaster. This is thanks to the really bad wireless from Horizon. It is not a wifi strength issue .... just drop-outs of internet connectivity. It is very annoying and leading towards getting rid of Horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a Horizon box, I have an Apple TV which when downstairs is wired into the Horizon box via cable and in my bedroom it connects via Wi-Fi. Upstairs and downstairs the Netflix service is excellent.

If you're having a problem with Horizon and Wi-Fi, you need to check the Wi-Fi channel that you and your neighbours are using, it is probably not an issue that will be fixed by jettisoning the Horizon box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

coylemj wrote: »
    I have a Horizon box, I have an Apple TV which when downstairs is wired into the Horizon box via cable and in my bedroom it connects via Wi-Fi. Upstairs and downstairs the Netflix service is excellent.

If you're having a problem with Horizon and Wi-Fi, you need to check the Wi-Fi channel that you and your neighbours are using, it is probably not an issue that will be fixed by jettisoning the Horizon box.

Thanks, but I've tried multiple different channels and used InSSIDer to see what comflicting networks are using. There are enough other complaints about Horizon wifi on this and other threads to believe there are significant issues with it. For some reason Friday nights are particularly bad.

Advertisement