Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband tablet

Options
  • 19-01-2014 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

I need to get broadband but I don't have a laptop at present just a tablet,how would I manahe it?I'm not at all a tech head so a bit lost on that score!Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

more info needed;

what tablet do you have?

what broadband provider(s) are in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭galwaytown

Ita an android,I was thinking could my tablet run Off my mobile phone or is this possible?Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

galwaytown wrote: »
    Ita an android,I was thinking could my tablet run Off my mobile phone or is this possible?Thanks

He meant what make and model, android is an operating system, we need a bit more info to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I need to get broadband but I don't have a laptop at present just a tablet,how would I manahe it?I'm not at all a tech head so a bit lost on that score!Thanks

When you order the broadband, ask for a wireless router. It might cost a little extra but it will allow you to use the broadband on your tablet.

When it arrives, if there is no teenager nearby, come back here and we will find you a boardsie to go and set it up for you. Im a Galwayman and travel home regularly, so I might be able to do it myself.

How much are you talking?I'm on a budget!So is it not possible to run Off my phone??Thanks!

• Advertisement

No idea unless you answer the questions asked of you

Pardon me,I didn't see above,it's a touchpad 8DC-16 dual core,8" android 4.1,thanks,I was hoping to get maybe a E20 a month deal excluding.three,thanks

How much are you talking?I'm on a budget!So is it not possible to run Off my phone??Thanks!

If you have a smartphone it is possible t run your tablet off your phone, but it could end up being more expensive.

You can get broadband for as little as 25 euros a month. What sort of size is your budget?

If your phone has "tethering" it may be do-able.
    The tablet has WiFi & it also has a usb out, so you could plug in a mobile dongle if needed

He meant what make and model, android is an operating system, we need a bit more info to go on.

No we dont need to know anymore information. Its a tablet, it speaks wifi, what more do you need to know?

• Advertisement

This might be what you want.

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/broadband-and-internet-bill-pay/

20 euro a month...

syklops wrote: »
    No we dont need to know anymore information. Its a tablet, it speaks wifi, what more do you need to know?

If he can use mobile broadband, WiFi won't answer that question,

It's a Sony xperia,oh really more expensive?Damn,E25 tops

Yes tethering on my phone but the tablet just has:vpn,portable hotspot,Ethernet and mobile networks,thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Three don't (or certainly didn't up until recently) allow tethering with their data plans. You needed to buy a separate plan to enable it. Even if you enable it on the phone, if they detect you are doing it they may charge you extra.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If your phone has "tethering" it may be do-able.
    The tablet has WiFi & it also has a usb out, so you could plug in a mobile dongle if needed

Wouldn't software need to be installed in order for a dongle to work? I would have though any drivers etc would only be Windows / Mac OS compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GET a laptop with wifi,pentium 4,
    1gig ram at least,
    2.0ghz cpu, on adverts ie 70 euro or less.
    if you are getting real broadband ,eg eircom,upc ,fibre installed ,
    as opposed to 3g on a phone.

Thanks appreciate reply but a laptop is not an option at present!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭mcw92

riclad wrote: »
    GET a laptop with wifi,pentium 4,
    1gig ram at least,
    2.0ghz cpu, on adverts ie 70 euro or less.
    if you are getting real broadband ,eg eircom,upc ,fibre installed ,
    as opposed to 3g on a phone.

No help to what the OP asked.lol

But you could use your mobile yes, this idea is called Tethering.
    The only networks that allow this are Three, 48 and Tesco Mobile afaik.

Or you could buy Mobile BB, in PAYG, which allows you to pay per day, week or month, or Pay Monthly format, in which you enter a contract and pay every month a set fee for a set usage.

Either PAYG or Pay Monthly can be used on a Wifi Hotspot, which shares the internet over Wifi, allowing your Tablet to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could buy a tablet with 3g sim slot,
    i,m on 3 mobile,
    if i buy 20 euros,credit i get 30 days 3g data free.
    OBviously tablets with sim slots are more expensive than
    standard wifi only models.
    i think my phone has a tethering option,
    i never tried it .

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    You could buy a tablet with 3g sim slot,
    i,m on 3 mobile,
    if i buy 20 euros,credit i get 30 days 3g data free.
    OBviously tablets with sim slots are more expensive than
    standard wifi only models.
    i think my phone has a tethering option,
    i never tried it .

I've got a micro SD slot,would that be it,never ever dealing with 3 again,total nightmare, thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've got a micro SD slot,would that be it,never ever dealing with 3 again,total nightmare, thanks for the info
    No, sd slot is only for storage. A SIM slot allows to insert a SIM card (like a phone) which allows you use the 3g network for browsing the internet.

3g is a generic term. Not specific to the mobile company

Advertisement