Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motors - unfair post deletion.

Options
  • 19-01-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am posting here as a result of an unfair infraction, and more importantly the deletion of a long post of a lot of constructive feedback, because one line of it went against an instruction at the start of the thread. Now at least one other user before me made reference to the same topic (discussing banned users) without any action. Also, I did not discuss any banned users, I was referring to a possible future process of rehabilitation - not any users that were banned already.

I took at least 10-15 mins writing up a post of feedback for the motors forum. I post regularly there (2k posts since end of sept last, 99% motors based) so I think I am entitled to an opinion in a feedback thread.

Ok fine. Infract me for disobeying the OP of the thread. But to delete the entire post is beyond belief.

Here is the post I made:
    Anyone who tells someone that a 325i is a better purchase than an m3 should be banned instantly

Otherwise I think the forum (one or two instances of heavy handed modding and sometimes too light touch of moderation, and the lack of monitoring of low level trolling by some posters against a group of others) is functioning OK.

As for possible improvements/attract new posters:
    I like the garage idea, it is on a couple of other motoring fora that I post on.
    Regional meets seem a good idea too, people would be more interested to go to meets that are not so far away (We'll discount the trip made to a certain Glendalough meet from galway by one poster )

I also think that the chat thread should be split. Have one "general motors chat" thread and one "off topic-non motor related" thread. I mean being threatened with a ban for discussing driving through a fast food restaurant in a chat thread should not occur. I also think that threads like the bad parking thread should be resurrected. Perhaps with a "no pic no post" rule to discourage arguments.

I will finish with two final points:
    I agree that the meets are a great way to build a community feel which is, after all, what a forum is all about. I've met quite a few sound chaps from this forum IRL and had a look at some nice metal in the flesh (including some giving me test drives etc) that I would never have had the chance to do otherwise.

I do think the issue of over zealous moderation should be discussed. I'm not sure that this is the place to do so, however it should be discussed. Regular posters should be given a final chance before being permabanned. Even people who commit murder are given early release or parole after good behavior or an expression of remorse. Why can't we do that here? I understand the "for the good of the forum" etc, and I am not referring to one or two individuals here but the issue as a whole. Surely a community should not permanently exclude knowledgeable regular posters permanently with no possibility of return - for a few indiscretions. I think we should have a "good behavior" option, where permabanned users can return after say 3-6 months, but have limited (ie no PM) priviliges and will be permabanned for a repeat indiscretion.

In this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057127790

A feedback thread, and my long essay of a post was deleted in its entirety for one paragraph.

Fair? I don't think so. Like I've said I accept the infraction but I do not accept that deleting my post was right.

I've pm'd the mod involved but he is sticking to his original post.

I would appreciate my post being restored.

Your thoughts etc are appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,696 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hi Cleveland Hot Pocket,

This process is for disputing warnings, infractions and bans. Reinstating deleted posts falls outside that.

If you wish to dispute the infraction, please indicate such and one of the Rec Cmods will take a look at it for you. With regards the post deletion however, it's a matter for the mods. Perhaps check with the mod if you can repost it with the infraction-worthy section removed.

Let me know what you wish to do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Thanks, I have contacted the mod in question and will see if that is an acceptable outcome.

Advertisement