Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football's nicest guy

• 19-01-2014 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭

Probably Tomassi for me, or perhaps Drogba considering what he's done.

Kaka seems nice but maybe a bit Ned Flanders.

Ole Gunnar seems a thoroughly likeable bloke too.

There's probably some guy that gave everything he had to charity that I'm missing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Luis Suarez. A gent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Terry.
    /thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Jimmy Bullard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RasTa wrote: »

What a hero, refuses to swap shirt with Israeli players because of their governments actions, which they have nothing to do with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Zola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Michael Laudrup always comes across as a nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Chicarito

What a hero, refuses to swap shirt with Israeli players because of their governments actions, which they have nothing to do with.

Haha!! Priceless. Liverpool Villa thread becomes even funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

monkey9 wrote: »

Why is that being mentioned in here?

RasTa wrote: »
    Why is that being mentioned in here?

Because of his posts in the Liverpool Villa thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Hard to gauge. Some of the most detestable characters on the pitch like Drogba and Bellamy do a lot of great work off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Bellamy can be little f*cker on the pitch, but off the pitch he has a charity set up in Sierra Leone.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Impossible question to answer. Its all about the public perception of players really. We really don't have a clue what they're like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Neil Lennons a gent despite being the most hated man in Scotland by jealous non Celtic fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's a bit pointless saying X is the nicest guy because he does charity work off the pitch, while in the other thread Suarez and referees are getting stick because of what they do on the pitch, and nobody has a clue what they are like off it.

That's down to the lack of context in the OP's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Niall quinn surely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Ole Solskjaer, Javier Zanetti, Kaka..

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭GillespieRoad

Roberto Martinez seems an all round good guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Michael Laudrup always comes across as a nice guy

Did he not play for Rangers ?
    Surely that rules him out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Stern John once signed a programme for me and said I could keep the pen. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Luis Suarez anyone? :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

monkey9 wrote: »

The Liverpool Villa thread has nothing to do with this thread. Continuing arguments and hostility from it in this thread may be considered trolling from now on.

Furthermore, for everyone, trolling in particular applies to this thread along with the rest of the charter. Pay heed to all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Zola and Xabi Alonso have always struck me as very nice guys. Both on and off the field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Would have to have been the late Sir Bobby Robson, true football man

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Never heard anything but great stuff about Del Piero - playing Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght all the other players left the pitch after the whistle but he stayed to chat and sign stuff for kids. At least that's what I've heard, didn't get to the match myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Rafa benetiz always came across as a nice bloke to me. I never understood the hate for him. Didn't he even make a cup of tea for reporters waiting outside his house.

• Advertisement

snowblind wrote: »
    Never heard anything but great stuff about Del Piero - playing Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght all the other players left the pitch after the whistle but he stayed to chat and sign stuff for kids. At least that's what I've heard, didn't get to the match myself.

Completely true. Swapped jerseys as well and wore the Shams jersey on the pitch as he walked off.

He's decent, but he's no Keith Fahey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

niallo27 wrote: »
    Rafa benetiz always came across as a nice bloke to me. I never understood the hate for him. Didn't he even make a cup of tea for reporters waiting outside his house.

Wasnt that zola?

Either way both top blokes.

Surprised beckham wasnt mentioned, seems a decent sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

titan18 wrote: »
    Zola and Xabi Alonso have always struck me as very nice guys. Both on and off the field

Alonso seemed to have a real nasty streak in him while playing under Mourinho. Only noticed it against Barca though, i should add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Wasnt that zola?

Either way both top blokes.

Surprised beckham wasnt mentioned, seems a decent sort.

Both have done it. A very nice thing to do, Zola had the sacking rumours aswell at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Chris hughton. We spent hours outside finnstown house in the hope of an autograph just before euro88. He was the only one to come out, signed everything and told us to go on home that our parents would be worried about us. Lovely man.

Packie bonner was one of the rudest. As they say, you should never meet your heroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

gosplan wrote: »

Ole Gunnar seems a thoroughly likeable bloke too.

I would have thought similar, prior to him agreeing to take the Cardiff job while MM was still there. Bad form IMO, and something which should be stigmatised more widely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I would have thought similar, prior to him agreeing to take the Cardiff job while MM was still there. Bad form IMO, and something which should be stigmatised more widely

I understand the sentiment of what you are saying but lifes too short for stuff like that. Are you supposed to turn a job down because some guy you don't even know that well will lose his? The chairman will just go on to the next man who wont say no. He did what anyone else would have done.

It's the same with players. They would never say it publicly as it would be career suicide, but if your rival in the team gets sold or gets injured and it affords you a run in the team....you are rightfully going to be pretty happy about it. It's not that you wish them ill....its just that you want whats best for you. That's human nature.

When players say stuff in interviews like "Oh it doesn't matter that I scored today....it all about the team" you can tell its complete nonsense. Drogba, brilliant player that he was, always used to come out with guff like this but all he cared about was scoring himself and about his own legend. You could see it when he had that temper tantrum when lampard wouldn't let him take the penalty on the last day of the season and he thought he was going to miss out on the golden boot. And he's not alone, 99% of players think the exact same way.

I wouldn't be criticising Solskjaer for taking the opportunity to further his career. You would have done the same if given the chance.

Kirby wrote: »
    I understand the sentiment of what you are saying but lifes too short for stuff like that. Are you supposed to turn a job down because some guy you don't even know that well will lose his? The chairman will just go on to the next man who wont say no. He did what anyone else would have done.

It's the same with players. They would never say it publicly as it would be career suicide, but if your rival in the team gets sold or gets injured and it affords you a run in the team....you are rightfully going to be pretty happy about it. It's not that you wish them ill....its just that you want whats best for you. That's human nature.

When players say stuff in interviews like "Oh it doesn't matter that I scored today....it all about the team" you can tell its complete nonsense. Drogba, brilliant player that he was, always used to come out with guff like this but all he cared about was scoring himself and about his own legend. You could see it when he had that temper tantrum when lampard wouldn't let him take the penalty on the last day of the season and he thought he was going to miss out on the golden boot. And he's not alone, 99% of players think the exact same way.

I wouldn't be criticising Solskjaer for taking the opportunity to further his career. You would have done the same if given the chance.

I agree with you on the players.

On managers, plenty do it. There was a good article recently about Roy Keane's refusal to speak to clubs that still had a manager, and how he had suffered as a result, while Wolves really suffered by sacking Mick McCarthy a few years back without having a replacement lined up.

It's obviously quiet common, but I don't think its right. It's something I believe the LMA should involve themselves in. Obviously they can't influence clubs, but there should at least be some action taken against its members found to be guilty of it.

As you say though, with plenty doing it, its a vicious circle. I'm probably being a bit harsh on Sholskjaer in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Buffon comes across as very likeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Luis Suarez certainly in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

Whenever I see Clarence Seedorf as a pundit it cheers me up. He has a very happy demeanour and seems a very cheery fellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Zabaleta always comes across well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Craig Bellamy and Didier Drogba stand out with all of the charity work they do outside of football.

Wilson Palacios also, to be so humble, that you sit in the hotel reception all night, waiting for your manager to wake, to ask permission for compassionate leave, after learning your brother has been murdered is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

David Beckham.

Donating his PSG wages to a children's hospital in France and generally comes across as really nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

BNMC wrote: »
    David Beckham.

Donating his PSG wages to a children's hospital in France and generally comes across as really nice guy.
    u do why he really done it thou yea? and your just jokin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

fozz10 wrote: »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

What? If he donated what would have been a massive amount of money to a children's hospital, regardless of what ulterior motive he had (and I doubt there was one, he's minted and didn't need any more), who cares why he did it.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    you should see someone about that

Pique wrote: »
    What? If he donated what would have been a massive amount of money to a children's hospital, regardless of what ulterior motive he had (and I doubt there was one, he's minted and didn't need any more), who cares why he did it.

look it up. it would of cost him money the because government there wanted tax from his other incomes worldwide if he was paid his wages there. google it. im not putting a link for u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

sjxeusW.jpg

Pique wrote: »

It was something along the lines of had he taken the salary, he'd have been liable for tax on his world wide income at French rates, in addition to his PSG salary. With the high income tax rates in France, and his level of foreign earned income, it'd have been a substantial tax liability

As you say though, irrespective of motivation, it was great that a children's hospital got what they did. Beckham has always come across as a decent guy IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement