Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing GAA in London

Options
  • 19-01-2014 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm thinking of going back playing football or maybe hurling again as I've missed playing them since I've started working plus there's the social side of things as well :). I've found a few threads mentioning playing GAA in London but nothing on the topic specifically...at least recently anyway.

I live in Balham and work near Old Street. Ideally I want to train with a club that doesn't take me too far out of the way. Are there any teams that train on Clapham Common, Tooting Common or Wandsworth Common. Any of these would be ideal but finding a list of clubs hasn't been that easy.

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

caesar wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm thinking of going back playing football or maybe hurling again as I've missed playing them since I've started working plus there's the social side of things as well :). I've found a few threads mentioning playing GAA in London but nothing on the topic specifically...at least recently anyway.

I live in Balham and work near Old Street. Ideally I want to train with a club that doesn't take me too far out of the way. Are there any teams that train on Clapham Common, Tooting Common or Wandsworth Common. Any of these would be ideal but finding a list of clubs hasn't been that easy.

Advice appreciated.

If you post on the Hoganstand UK forum for suggestions, you will get plenty of inforamation from the lads on there http://www.hoganstand.com/uk/ or even contact the London GAA http://www.londongaa.co.uk/.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Check the London GAA site and you will get the contact details for all the club secretaries. Also the Irish Post has club notes which might help. Cuchulainn Gaels have a lot of the Cork lads playing with them and Fr Murphys have a Wexford link.
    That is the same with a lot of the clubs so your own county lads might have a tradition of playing for certain clubs in London.
    However ideally get a club near home as there will be enough travelling to be done across London to away games than have to do it for the home game and training. It's a great way to get a circle of pals when moving to London first. A lot of the clubs have a social side such a s golf societies, meeting up top watch games from homr etc. Handy way also to meet daughters of older Irish emigrants and bring you in to a circle of their English pals also. Of course that type of thing would never cross your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

we used to have hurling training on clapham common but our club folded due to .. eh... financial irregularities!
    i'm pretty sure dulwich harps train on clapham common too. that's probably the closest football team to you. they're few and far between in that part of london.
    you could also check with the club secretaries (http://www.londongaa.org/contentPage/257461/club_secretaries_london).

actually, here you go
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056849940

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

we have played against a team on pitches down in Mitcham. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the club though, sorry

theteal wrote: »
    we have played against a team on pitches down in Mitcham. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the club though, sorry

Sean Treacys train down in Mitcham. They are a hurling club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Cheers all, think Im going to get in contact with Dulwich Harps as they seem to be the most convenient for me.

Someone posted this map on hoganstand, from the replies I gather it's missing a few clubs but I found it useful nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Sean Treacys train down in Mitcham. They are a hurling club

Round Towers, that strip looks familiar alright

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

So I've joined Dulwich Harps, first training tomorrow. I haven't played since u16/u17, looking forward to it all the same.

Anyway, if anyone else is thinking of joining a club they are looking for more players. If you want more info PM me.

Again thanks for the replies.

You must be the exciting new signing all Dulwich Gaeldom have been talking about!

Early to bed now, ease off the bitter and crisps.

Advertisement