Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick marathon 3.30 attempt

Options
  • 19-01-2014 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all gonna start a training log for my self to map my progress or lack of it in the next few weeks , was following a few logs here and it looks like a good motivational tool

Aiming for sub 3.30 on this years limerick marathon, I have bits a pieces of training done already but going to log from today on so as not to boar any one, here we go .....,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bridgerunner

Hi all did lsr today did 14 miles in 2.01 and felt ok, nice morning did a run light shower at the end but all good

Did not bring any water or gels with me and got on fine, wondering what other people do in regards to this??

16 next Sunday getting serious now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck Bridgerunner, would be good to give some background so others can relate to you here.

How long running?
    running background?
    First Marathon?
    Any previous races? PBs?

LSR looks a tab bit fast to me but all depends on your background. Should be lookng at 9-9:15 a mile anyway for your LSRs for a 3:30 attempt.

Sorry guys , running on and off for a few years and played football before that,

Have 4 marathan done but over a few years 3 in Dublin and 1 in barcelona

Marathan best 3.29 lot of water under the bridge since then!!!!! 2009 dublin
    Half marathon best 1.36 2009 dublin

Did dublin marathon last year 2014 in 3.54

3 miles tonite , nice easy run got around in 26 mins, up in dublin with work so did a nice run around kingswood in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Hello Bridgerunner,

I am also running Limerick - and also did 14 miles yesterday, although a few minutes slower.

How are things with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Hi all did lsr today did 14 miles in 2.01 and felt ok, nice morning did a run light shower at the end but all good

Did not bring any water or gels with me and got on fine, wondering what other people do in regards to this??

16 next Sunday getting serious now

I used to bring water with me religiously on anything over 10 miles but now I tend to just make sure I drink plenty during the day and don't bother bringing water out on LSRs. No problems so far with this, although 14 miles is the farthest I've run this side of DCM - I'll probably start bringing water out again on these once I go to 16+ miles on LSRs

You don't seem to need gels either to be honest, 14 miles in 2.01 wouldn't indicate a need for gels to my untrained eye ( it may be a little quick as has already been pointed out though)

Hello Bridgerunner,

I am also running Limerick - and also did 14 miles yesterday, although a few minutes slower.

How are things with you?

Getting on good thanks , trying to get back in to the training cycle again , hard this time of year with the weather and dark nites , much easier training for DCM during summer !!!

Did 8 miles tonight got around in 63 mins so very happy with that, cold out there tonight but no wind so that's a good thing,

Trying to train 5 nights a week if possible and do most of the midweek runs as close to 8 min miles as I can, with the long run on Sunday at 8.30 to 9 min mile pace , with Monday and Friday rest days , hopefully this will make 8 min miles feel like easy pace and stand to me on the day

Did 8 miles tonight got around in 63 mins so very happy with that, cold out there tonight but no wind so that's a good thing,

Trying to train 5 nights a week if possible and do most of the midweek runs as close to 8 min miles as I can, with the long run on Sunday at 8.30 to 9 min mile pace , with Monday and Friday rest days , hopefully this will make 8 min miles feel like easy pace and stand to me on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I would not advice doing the majority of your mileage at Marathon Pace you could burn yourself out. I know I wouldn't be able to manage it. While training, your body needs recovery time in addition to all the runs. Running at your MP all the time will not give the body a chance to recover. To allow for this without setting back training / skipping runs you should run more at your easy pace (around your LSR pace, 9min/mile ish)with maybe one midweek run a week at 8min /miles.

Do 8min miles feel easy to you? Maybe you are selling yourself short on target?

What plan are you following?

• Advertisement

Training update
    Tues 21 jan 8 miles 65 mins

Thurs 23 jan 6 miles 50 mins

Sat 25 jan 5 miles 39 mins

Sun 26 jan 10 miles 1hr 27

Tonight's run 28 jan

Did 6 miles in 48.30

Decent pace for me felt ok, trying to run these midweek runs at this pace so 8 min mile will fell ok eventually

blockic wrote: »
    I would not advice doing the majority of your mileage at Marathon Pace you could burn yourself out. I know I wouldn't be able to manage it. While training, your body needs recovery time in addition to all the runs. Running at your MP all the time will not give the body a chance to recover. To allow for this without setting back training / skipping runs you should run more at your easy pace (around your LSR pace, 9min/mile ish)with maybe one midweek run a week at 8min /miles.

Do 8min miles feel easy to you? Maybe you are selling yourself short on target?

What plan are you following?

Hi blokic

Many thanks for the reply and advice , I couldn't say tha the 8 min mile pace us easy but it's manageable at the moment, plan is to try and run as close to this during the week with a faster pace crunch on Wednesday nites . I'm gonna slow the lsr right down as you said otherwise ill burn out thanks for that, following a plan from runners world smart coach site , simple and easy to follow even for me ...

Wed 29 5 mile run in 41 mins
    Thurs 30 6 miles in 47 mins

Friday did circuit training 40 mins

No run Saturday chickened out too windy !!!!

Sunday 2 February lsr did 16 miles in 2 hr 22 mins weather not too bad got around relatively dry

Felt comfortable enough tbh could have done another mile or so, happy with that at this stage
    Hoping to do 4 or 5 20 mile runs this cycle

18 planned for next week

Advertisement