Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can I use for a border to keep stones

• 19-01-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

I have quite a large garden and was wanting to put small xmass tree shape tree's and coloured stones all along my driveway and right up the side of my site. Something like a border right where my lawn meets the kerbs

Im wanting to know what's best to separate the stones from the lawn so when I'm cutting the lawn, I won't be going over the stones and not sucking them up with the mower or even worse, send them flying all over the place

I would say there's about 50 meters I would need.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You will always get a few stones 'leaking' from the path to the grass. What size stones are you thinking of? We have small pebbles and in some places they are just held by the border bricks of the brick paving and in another place by ordinary kerbs. If you were going for larger stones you might want something a bit bigger for appearance. It depends on what you want to afford and the effect you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

looksee wrote: »
    You will always get a few stones 'leaking' from the path to the grass. What size stones are you thinking of? We have small pebbles and in some places they are just held by the border bricks of the brick paving and in another place by ordinary kerbs. If you were going for larger stones you might want something a bit bigger for appearance. It depends on what you want to afford and the effect you are looking for.

I'm getting stones about 1 inch. Someone told me to separate the stones and grass with 3x3/4 rough timber. I'm wondering will this look awful thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could use timber, but it sounds as though you are going for a rather formal look with the trees and stones, so I am not sure timber would look great. I agree its a good idea to separate the grass from the stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I used a&g cobbles, I cut them in half and put them side on into the ground, bedded in mortar. But that was just edging a gravel path. Dug out the grass within 2 lines of cobble, laid membrane and then the stone chips. So the visible edge on the cobbles is about 6cm, each cobble might be 15cm long.

For a cutting verge the edge should ideally be at the same level as the grass. If your gravel is not recessed then you may need to raise up your edging.

Wood is faster to install (in a straight line) but will rot I suppose. Sleeper beams are also a possibility.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement