Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Control heating over WIFI with Phone

• 19-01-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a typical S plan wired heating system similar to the attached pic.
    I want to be able to control my heating using my phone using a lightwave inline relay and wifi link.
    I'm hoping to use a lightwave RF inline relay switch in parallel with my existing system. This will allow me to leave the existing system in place so heat will come on and off as per the 7 day programmer bit it will also allow me to turn on the heating using my phone while I am away. If will also allow me to turn off the heating through the inline relay. However it will not allow me to override the 7 day programmer so if the heating is switched on by the programmer I will not be able to turn it off.
    What I would do is connect the inline relay between point connection 1 & 5. Therefore i'll bypass the programmer and thermostat. When I switch the relay to on the on the power should flow from the fused spur to open the valve and switch on the boiler. Am I missing anything here or is it possible to wire in the relay in parallel?

Other option is to wire the relay in serial and just set the programmer to always on and the thermostat to the top temperature and use my phone to turn off and on heat at all times.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve by having override control for your system? You have a 7 day programmer already which sets the heating to your current lifestyle? If you are away for any period you probably have a holiday mode?
    If you therefore just want to override on/off function then are you planning to let the house cool right down while you are away and only switch on when you are coming back?
    I am trying to envisage a situation where this is necessary or what benefit could be achieved over and above what a decent programmer does when connected to room programmer (or programmers if zoned).
    As I read it you are thinking of turning the system off with thermostat on high and then switching on/off remotely. I cannot see the benefit of having a comprehensive programmer and then overriding it. If you forget to do a switching you may end up with a cold house on your return unless you also set an alarm to remind you the heating is off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

foxirl wrote: »
    Hi I have a typical S plan wired heating system similar to the attached pic.
    I want to be able to control my heating using my phone using a lightwave inline relay and wifi link.
    I'm hoping to use a lightwave RF inline relay switch in parallel with my existing system. This will allow me to leave the existing system in place so heat will come on and off as per the 7 day programmer bit it will also allow me to turn on the heating using my phone while I am away. If will also allow me to turn off the heating through the inline relay. However it will not allow me to override the 7 day programmer so if the heating is switched on by the programmer I will not be able to turn it off.
    What I would do is connect the inline relay between point connection 1 & 5. Therefore i'll bypass the programmer and thermostat. When I switch the relay to on the on the power should flow from the fused spur to open the valve and switch on the boiler. Am I missing anything here or is it possible to wire in the relay in parallel?

Other option is to wire the relay in serial and just set the programmer to always on and the thermostat to the top temperature and use my phone to turn off and on heat at all times.

Thanks.

There are a number of products on the market which allow remote control of your heating via phone, ipad, etc.
    Here is a link to another thread regarding same:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122923

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

freddyuk wrote: »
    Can you explain what you are trying to achieve by having override control for your system? You have a 7 day programmer already which sets the heating to your current lifestyle? If you are away for any period you probably have a holiday mode?
    If you therefore just want to override on/off function then are you planning to let the house cool right down while you are away and only switch on when you are coming back?
    I am trying to envisage a situation where this is necessary or what benefit could be achieved over and above what a decent programmer does when connected to room programmer (or programmers if zoned).
    As I read it you are thinking of turning the system off with thermostat on high and then switching on/off remotely. I cannot see the benefit of having a comprehensive programmer and then overriding it. If you forget to do a switching you may end up with a cold house on your return unless you also set an alarm to remind you the heating is off.

Hi Freddyuk,
    Unfortunately the times I arrive home each day vary so much the programmer becomes redundant so would like an override. Would love to have something like the climote but looking at a cheaper alternative.
    Thanks

Froststop wrote: »
    There are a number of products on the market which allow remote control of your heating via phone, ipad, etc.
    Here is a link to another thread regarding same:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057122923

Thanks but looking for a cheaper option

TextOn would be fairly reasonably priced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

You can purchase a simple texting switch with a SIM card from any electrical wholesalers.

shane0007 wrote: »
    You can purchase a simple texting switch with a SIM card from any electrical wholesalers.
    Thanks Shane0007
    Any urls to a product like this?

Hi Freddyuk,
    Unfortunately the times I arrive home each day vary so much the programmer becomes redundant so would like an override. Would love to have something like the climote but looking at a cheaper alternative.
    Thanks

Sorry I do not get it? Your arrival time varies each day. So what do you need when you get home. Hot water or a warm house? Having an override for what? How does the programmer become redundant?
    If we know the target we can offer a solution.
    Please explain the problem.
    As I see it you do not want hot water to be heated while you are not there so turn that off until you are about to get home?
    You do not want a heated house until you are about to arrive? So if you are a little late you can turn the heating a little later than the programme thus saving you 0.001%
    I really am keen to understand the the issue and how an expensive remote system will save you money - in fact.

Sorry I do not get it? Your arrival time varies each day. So what do you need when you get home. Hot water or a warm house? Having an override for what? How does the programmer become redundant?
    If we know the target we can offer a solution.
    Please explain the problem.
    As I see it you do not want hot water to be heated while you are not there so turn that off until you are about to get home?
    You do not want a heated house until you are about to arrive? So if you are a little late you can turn the heating a little later than the programme thus saving you 0.001%
    I really am keen to understand the the issue and how an expensive remote system will save you money - in fact.

Hi Freddy, I want to a heated house when I arrive home but not a heated house for 2 house before I arrive. You asked me how is this going to save me money. I never mentioned in my post that I wanted it to save me money. You also mention an expensive remote. I have said in my previous posts that I want a cheap alternative. I am only looking to do this for convenience and maybe just for the sake of it and therefore want to do it at a low cost.

Thanks

Actually this wemo option looks good which i found when googling your option http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056491724

• Advertisement

TextOn unit cost is €154 with SIM card.
    I don't have any links to the ones I referred to in electrical wholesalers but they have been around for donkey's years. I know my local one sells them but I've no idea how much.

The sparks over in the electrical forum would certainly know if you wish to post there.

Actually this wemo option looks good which i found when googling your option http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056491724

See! There ya go.... :-) Sparks are good for something :D

Hi Freddy, I want to a heated house when I arrive home but not a heated house for 2 house before I arrive. You asked me how is this going to save me money. I never mentioned in my post that I wanted it to save me money. You also mention an expensive remote. I have said in my previous posts that I want a cheap alternative. I am only looking to do this for convenience and maybe just for the sake of it and therefore want to do it at a low cost.

Thanks

I give up....

I give up....

I don't see what the issue is. If he sets his programmer to switch on his heating at 5pm but he regularly gets delayed, so it could be 7pm before he gets home. The heating has been on for 2 hours heating his home with nobody in it.
    So if he texts the system at 6.40pm, it would be nice & warm before he gets there, saving 1 hour 40 minutes of fuel.

Now he could just leave it off until he gets home but he wants to get home to a warm house. What's wrong with that?

TextOn unit cost is €154 with SIM card.
    I don't have any links to the ones I referred to in electrical wholesalers but they have been around for donkey's years. I know my local one sells them but I've no idea how much.

The sparks over in the electrical forum would certainly know if you wish to post there.

I'd say your not to far off the mark there Shane, includes sim active also but my not have credit on it.

I don't see what the issue is. If he sets his programmer to switch on his heating at 5pm but he regularly gets delayed, so it could be 7pm before he gets home. The heating has been on for 2 hours heating his home with nobody in it.
    So if he texts the system at 6.40pm, it would be nice & warm before he gets there, saving 1 hour 40 minutes of fuel.

Now he could just leave it off until he gets home but he wants to get home to a warm house. What's wrong with that?

OP is not interested in the cost.... he says that. This will not help 99% of interested parties.

OP is not interested in the cost.... he says that. This will not help 99% of interested parties.

Apologies, I thought he said he was looking for a cheap alternative.
    I have said in my previous posts that I want a cheap alternative.

Yes, not to save money but to have a bit of control without a cost consideration. Not what 99% of people want to achieve.
    Quote: I never mentioned in my post that I wanted it to save me money. You also mention an expensive remote. I have said in my previous posts that I want a cheap alternative. I am only looking to do this for convenience and maybe just for the sake of it and therefore want to do it at a low cost.
    Unquote...
    So to use an expense argument is pointless as he is not interested in saving money.
    He wants a cheap alternative toy?? Not what 99% of people hereon will want but it is a free country.

What harm if it's only a toy he's after? He asked a question, he got an answer. Simples....

Yep, I got the wrong end of the stick. I was going for the practical and financial functionality and missed the concept of fun. I must get out more.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭capailldubh

I found this thread while looking for something similar.
    I have a lot of LightwaveRF stuff in the house and was playing with the idea of using a LightwaveRF on/off socket to remotely control my heating.
    I have a Sunvic XL programmer and was thinking of looping a room thermostat with the on/off socket.
    My thermostat is an older 240V type so should be ok in the loop.
    All timing control could be done via the LightwaveRF app so the manual programmer could be made redundant if this setup works.
    I live in an apartment so one room stat would be ok.
    Using one or two on/off sockets would be a cheap setup..
    If not, maybe I will bite the bullet and invest in this if it ever comes out,

http://www.lightwaverf.com/store/order-heating?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=IntroEmail&utm_campaign=ConsumerHeatingOrder&_ccCt=KVVWl2GdwuqVZjtlL9rjbBD1XMNJ3Kt7ezopaQaAUA3XrxErNNVdsYlpkCQ96Bpd

Fair Point Shane.
    Yep, I got the wrong end of the stick. I was going for the practical and financial functionality and missed the concept of fun. I must get out more.:D
    No problem freddy. Will get more enjoyment out of seeing the heating coming on using the phone when I set it up than the few quid I might save.

I found this thread while looking for something similar.
    I have a lot of LightwaveRF stuff in the house and was playing with the idea of using a LightwaveRF on/off socket to remotely control my heating.
    I have a Sunvic XL programmer and was thinking of looping a room thermostat with the on/off socket.
    My thermostat is an older 240V type so should be ok in the loop.
    All timing control could be done via the LightwaveRF app so the manual programmer could be made redundant if this setup works.
    I live in an apartment so one room stat would be ok.
    Using one or two on/off sockets would be a cheap setup..
    If not, maybe I will bite the bullet and invest in this if it ever comes out,

http://www.lightwaverf.com/store/order-heating?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=IntroEmail&utm_campaign=ConsumerHeatingOrder&_ccCt=KVVWl2GdwuqVZjtlL9rjbBD1XMNJ3Kt7ezopaQaAUA3XrxErNNVdsYlpkCQ96Bpd

Those heating controls can be pre-ordered now but very little info on the site about them. After reading up about the lightwaverf I see that the signal only manages to reach devices from the wifi link only about 80% of the time and without 2 way communication you will not know if the device is on or off.
    How are you finding the lightwave stuff you have already?

Have a wemo already in my house so might give that a go as a test and make a decision after that.

There is a bit of a "wakeup" time if you haven't used the item in a while but the stuff works very fast with its own remote.
    I suppose thats to be expected over the internet.
    I think the newer 900mhz Wifi Link radio will handle two way comms. so room temps and light state monitoring might be on the cards.
    I think the 900mhz is already in the older Wifi Link too so hopefully it should work with the newer 900mhz stuff.
    I see the new Wifi Link has a 500 suffix on the serial number so maybe its the same as the old. (Newer stuff has 900 suffix.)
    Stuff I have;
    I have lights in my showroom on an on/off socket. I have six of the dimmable bulbs, some are night lighting the showroom and the street.
    Some in my apt. I have two PIR's, one lights extra lights in showroom when someone enters and one in bathroom.
    One Mood switch stick to wall for now. I have two sets of sockets for things like TV/Music on/off.
    All above controllable with Android App and lights on timer via app.
    I have CCTV too so can check light states, and so far very reliable. Timer on app is a bit clumsy but should improve. There are 3rd party apps too.
    Going to try my heating control idea next week. Hope there aren't too many sparks haha. If that doesn't work might buy the boiler controller.
    I read Google is getting into the whole home control thing (z-wave?) so might hold off till closer next winter to buy.

There is a bit of a "wakeup" time if you haven't used the item in a while but the stuff works very fast with its own remote.
    I suppose thats to be expected over the internet.
    I think the newer 900mhz Wifi Link radio will handle two way comms. so room temps and light state monitoring might be on the cards.
    I think the 900mhz is already in the older Wifi Link too so hopefully it should work with the newer 900mhz stuff.
    I see the new Wifi Link has a 500 suffix on the serial number so maybe its the same as the old. (Newer stuff has 900 suffix.)
    Stuff I have;
    I have lights in my showroom on an on/off socket. I have six of the dimmable bulbs, some are night lighting the showroom and the street.
    Some in my apt. I have two PIR's, one lights extra lights in showroom when someone enters and one in bathroom.
    One Mood switch stick to wall for now. I have two sets of sockets for things like TV/Music on/off.
    All above controllable with Android App and lights on timer via app.
    I have CCTV too so can check light states, and so far very reliable. Timer on app is a bit clumsy but should improve. There are 3rd party apps too.
    Going to try my heating control idea next week. Hope there aren't too many sparks haha. If that doesn't work might buy the boiler controller.
    I read Google is getting into the whole home control thing (z-wave?) so might hold off till closer next winter to buy.

Thanks capailldubh. Going to go with the wemo approach and see how I get on first. Will look at lightwave in a few months when I see how others get on with the new controls

OK Fox that stuff looks good. Always liked Belkin. Reasonably priced and works.

I need a 240V relay for the above setup.
    The on/off socket will not work as it sends power and what I need to do is just make and break the thermostat circuit remotely.
    I will get the 500W Lightwaverf one and see how it works out. Have everything working except this part so it should work.
    If I set the thermostat, the boiler should come on as required to maintain set temp.
    The Sunvic programmer/timer is still in the circuit so will still work if the relay is made. Might be redundant if the Lightwave timers work well.
    I will wait and see how the guinea pigs fair out with the new Lightwaverf heating stuff before I buy more. Might be ok with above setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Thanks

What about this:
    http://www.salus-tech.com/products/thermostat/it500/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

buy the nest thermostat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

buy the nest thermostat

I've been looking at it and i don't think that its the best for Irish conditions. its designed to work in conjunction with cooling systems which we don't have and they havn't started marketing it outside of America, so does it even work over here, have they got the local temperature etc. can it control various zones?

the nest also uses volt free switching, so you'll have to user relays etc.

The Tado seems to be a better option.

would you care to expand why you made a statment as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

i got & installed this last week, so far works great ( no affililiations etc.. )
    http://www.netatmo.com/en-US/product/thermostat
    170 or so delivered, no subscription charge

Got around to setting up my system this evening. Have left the hot water control by the programmer but have wired in two wemo devices for downstairs and upstairs heating so now have those on controlled by the wemo timer and can turn off and on my heating using my phone when in the house (trough wifi) or when away by 3G.
    Have to say its a great kick to see the gas boiler firing up when pressing the button on the phone.

Cost.
    €45 * 2 for the wemos.
    €3 for 2 meters of electric cable.
    €1.50 for 2 13 amp plugs
    And about 2 hours of my time to wire it up. Should have taken about 20 minutes but it was an awkward area.

So all done for €100 euro and no yearly fees like climote. Might change the hot water in the future.

Advertisement