Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadrive issue.

Options
  • 19-01-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭

Hi there. ( I posted this in the Retro section by accident so if it has to be deleted there please do so, apologies )

Dug the Megadrive out of the attic. Tunes in fine to da Tv.

Problem I a have is that the joypad is not working. When I inspected the port I see that one of the pins is missing.

Any ideas please. I have one joypad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The Megadrive uses a standard 9-pin DSUB connector and multiplexes 4 buttons onto two pins to save a bit of room. Here's the pinout:

genesis_joystick.gif

Look at the port, the top left pin is #1, top right is #5, bottom left is #6 and bottom right is #9. Which is broken?

It can be easily replaced by anybody semi-decent with a soldering iron :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The Megadrive uses a standard 9-pin DSUB connector and multiplexes 4 buttons onto two pins to save a bit of room. Here's the pinout:

genesis_joystick.gif

Look at the port, the top left pin is #1, top right is #5, bottom left is #6 and bottom right is #9. Which is broken?

It can be easily replaced by anybody semi-decent with a soldering iron :)

Thanks.

Its pin number 1 thats missing.

So in theory only your Up key should not be functioning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So in theory only your Up key should not be functioning?

Was thinking the same myself.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself.

It can go either of two ways - repair the pin, hoping the shaft's not broken far down or get a donor port from a broken console. From what I know they're both in the one unit just like the PS2 memory card/controller port so you can't just buy a DSUB9 from Radionics and slap it in there.

I suppose if you got a long enough pin and heated it up you could just melt out the back of the controller port then solder a jumper wire. Solutions solutions :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Got it going, pin was bent down........silly me,

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement